Revell 1:48 Spit Mk XVIe

Hi all,

Just finished this yesterday, WIP thread here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234923158&st=60

Its the revell reboxing of the hasegawa 1:48 spit mk IX / XVI

What can i say, it was a great kit to build and i recommend it to anyone, i am aware the fuselage is slightly too short but i wouldnt say that detracts from what is a lovely kit.

The instructions are a bit misleading on the mk XVI as it does require some modifications to get a mk XVIe but doesnt show them.

If anyones interested they are shown in my WIP thread but changes made to the basic kit are as follows:

• fitted eduard cockpit set for hasegawa kit
  • drilled out bulkhead and scissor link lightening holes
  • modified cannon bulges to move to other side
  • fitted kit supplied 50 cal caps and drilled and fitted brass micro tube
  • hollowed exhaust and cannon tips with scalpel
  • added brake lines from fusewire
  • cut out cockpit door and scratch built one from a can of cider and some sheet styrene (door lock from eduard set)
  • removed spine ID light
  • blanked off MG ports in wingtip and shell ejector ports

Paints used were Tamiya XF81/82/83 for main camo and various others for details

Kit decals used with micro sol / set and were great, though seeing the pics i should have goe round the radio access hatch with a knife :doh:

Anyways on with some pics :)

SAM_2969_zps954fd599.jpg

SAM_2968_zps66fc6daf.jpg

SAM_2967_zps0cd58326.jpg

SAM_2966_zpsabf0e2ff.jpg

SAM_2965_zps9d0986db.jpg

SAM_2962_zpsc2387c0e.jpg

SAM_2961_zpsddc28e36.jpg

SAM_2972_zps89df8f82.jpg

SAM_2973_zpsf8b16eff.jpg

SAM_2975_zpse97990be.jpg

SAM_2976_zps140e8865.jpg

SAM_2979_zps2a5c6909.jpg

And last one, bit of an adversary shot with the Tamiya 190D i finished before i started this one

SAM_2978_zps4b686954.jpg

Thanks for looking, all C&CC greatly appreciated, cheers, Stu

• Like 2

Wow...gosh I don't think I have seen thus many spitfires being built anywhere else.

This is quite a good looking Spitfire{ I hate calling them Spittie, reminds ME of people spitting in streets!}

It is an AWESOME build and like the colors you chose .

Bravo......:)

Edited by HOUSTON

Good job. I think this kit gets a mauling for not being the most accurate rendition ever but I've built it before and really enjoyed it. As you've shown, it does make up into a really good looking machine.

One thing though - do you have your undercarriage on back to front? Looks like the shocks/scissors are at the front and I think they should be pointing rearwards.

Cheers,

Roger

Cheers for the kind comments guys!

It is an AWESOME build and like the colors you chose .

Bravo...... :)

- Cheers Houston - had to go with this scheme, i love the look of the black spinner seems to make it look a bit sleeker and meaner!

Good job. I think this kit gets a mauling for not being the most accurate rendition ever but I've built it before and really enjoyed it. As you've shown, it does make up into a really good looking machine.

One thing though - do you have your undercarriage on back to front? Looks like the shocks/scissors are at the front and I think they should be pointing rearwards.

Cheers,

Roger

Cheers Roger, yeah for the difference it would make i couldnt bear to cut apart a kit this nice, dont think i have built anything else so detailed out of the box! Re: the gear legs - was going to go back and check until Joachim kindly put the link up (cheers Joachim! :)) - phew!

Lovely build. Really miss those couple of millimetres don't you?..........Me neither!

:) yeah i cant see how a few mm spoils the overall look of it, or at least thats what i told the missus.....

Said it in the WIP thread Stu,she looks good enough to hop in and take for a ride.

Very nice mate.

BTW,what the story with the odd wheels?

I'd best crack on with my ICM XVI or I'll miss the "BM-at-the-moment-Spitfire-boat" :lol:

Cheers Mark, odd wheels - youve got me worried now.....?

Got to admit theres a bit of an uncanny spitfire theme going on at the moment clearly needs another group build :) Now wheres that ICM XVI :fight::whip: :whip: :whip:

Cheers again all, Stu