Airfix 1/72 Bf110E Trop

I read this site's content almost every day and I've even dipped my toes here a few times but I think the time is now right to try to contribute something properly. I will try to see this wip thread through to conclusion but updates may be sporadic and may even dry up altogether - please forgive me if I fall by the wayside.....

I have here the Airfix 1/72 Bf110E trop and I intend to use to learn more about about modelling and to develop my very modest ablities. Ultimate accuracy is not my goal but I hope if I finish the build it will be a reasonable model.

First impressions of the kit is that it looks fair enough but is not without issues. the first of these are the somewhat 'wholesome' panel lines. These have now mostly been filled. The second issue (which I only learned about from reading posts in this forum!) are the overly large engine nacelles on the upper wings. Other than those 2 things, the kit appears to but just fine for my purposes.

I have read negative comments about the Airfix decals but I've played with some of the spare ones and I think I can work with them.

The one-piede lower wing in my kit was very badly distorted but Airfix swiftly sent me a good replacement part on request. Hats of to them for great customer service.

These first 2 photographs show one original upper wing and the other one which I have modified by filling the panel lines with epoxy putty and by re-shaping the nacelle. I think the rear end of it should be slimmer and more pointy but, quite frankly, it'll do for me.

110_001.jpg

110_002.jpg

These next 2 photos show what I've done to the fuselage so far. Panel lines being filled (this time mostly with green tube putty) and the elevators removed so i can have them dropped.

At this point I have a query that hopefully someone here can answer: How/where are the elevators hinged on the real aircraft? Also, what is the function of those tabs seen on moving surfaces that project into the fixed part of the structure? I've modelled these ones as hollow and I'm guessing that they have some kind of role to play in the actuation of the elevators but I honestly have no idea what would be correct. I hope someone can fill in these gaps in my knowledge!

110_003.jpg

110_004.jpg

Right, that's it for now. I shall endeavour to press on with this build and add more to this thread.

Jon.

Edited by Cheesey153
  • Like 1

Right, I have a little progress to report:

Both engine nacelles have been reduced and re-shaped, all panel lines filled, airelons removed, wings glued on and elevators kind of done - not yet glued on.

110_006.jpg

110_005.jpg

I've been doing some painting too:

I put braces between the bomb fins, filled the majority of panel lines (although maybe i shouldn't have filled the tanks' ones) and then played around with paint to see if i can achieve an effective weathered result.

110_007.jpg

110_008.jpg

110_009.jpg

That's it for the moment; let's see if I can press on with this build over the weekend and post more progress.......

Jon.

• Like 1

Morning Jon,

Looking great so far! Kudos for having the confidence to say no to those big bad panel lines :)

As to the hinges, I'm not sure whether it's the case for this aircraft, but many light/old/prop aircraft have a counterweight in front of the elevator hinge line which is used to alter the 'feel' of the controls, more specifically, how much force must be applied to induce a certain change in elevator deflection.

On a Cessna:

tail.jpg

..and on a Spitfire:

2902994660035970728S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking forward to more,

Tim

Hi Tim,

That makes good sense to me - certainly better sense than any of the non-ideas I've had! I'll take a wild guess that if that little tab thing is a counterweight, there'll be something inside it to adjust the balance - something like a threaded rod that would pull/push a weight towards or away from the hinge line. Hmmm, sounds credible to me! :)

And yes, those panel lines just had to go!

Jon.

Hi occa,

The first two photographs in the first post show an original wing next to a modified wing. Hopefully this will show what I've done but if you need clarification, please ask and I'll do my best.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for clarifying, for a moment I thought you shortened the front portion of the nacelles either, I meant there where the engines are.

What you have done with the ends looks very convincing as does the whole build.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by occa

• 3 weeks later...

I've managed to get a bit more done to this model but haven't taken many photos of the process. The ones I have taken I now share with you.

I've tried my hand at salt weathering on both upper and lower surfaces. I think the result appears rather heavy-handed but as I said at the outset, this build is all about learning. The markings on the underside have been painted with the aid of masks I made and whilst I'm relatively happy with the result I don't think it was worth the effort and I'll use the decals for the other markings.

I like the look of the kit without the bold panel lines but I will try to represent them subtlely with (probably) pencil lines.

110_010.jpg

110_011.jpg

Painted most of the small bits too and have made a replacement circular antenna thing for the underside. I shall also try to make the towel rail antennas.

110_012.jpg

Hopefully I'll now be able to forge ahead and get this build finished!

Jon.

I think that by removing the exaggerated panel lines you've improved the appearance of the model a great deal. In this scale especially, heavy panel lines would make it look toy-like in my opinion.

In most of the photographs I've seen of aircraft, taken at a distance, those around engine and gun access panels etc stand out the most. A very light reapplication using a pencil sounds good.

Your model is already looking fine.

Trubbie

Hi again chaps,

I know panel lines are a much-discussed topic! My (current!) point of view is that no depiction of lines may often be the most accurate way to make a model but that it may also lack some aesthetic appeal, heavy panel lines can look too toy-like and moderate lines are not accurate either but are somehow nicer to look at! One of the best depictions I've seen recently (albeit on 1/32) is on Mr PHaTNesS's F-15C - I like that a lot!

What I've done with the engine cowls is to fill all the kit panel lines bar the horizontal ones just above each exhaust and then lightly draw in all the other lines with pencil and then highlight each line to give a modicum of 3-D effect. I'm not sure the same approach will work on the rest of the airframe (unless the finished model is viewed from one angle only) but I will have a wee dabble and see what comes out....

Duncan, 95% of the paint I've used is Revell Aqua and I've used a little Vallejo Model Colour and a smidge of oil here and there. The model is glossed at the moment so the colour appears slightly 'off' and I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when it's matt or satin.

Jon.

What I've done with the engine cowls is to fill all the kit panel lines bar the horizontal ones just above each exhaust and then lightly draw in all the other lines with pencil and then highlight each line to give a modicum of 3-D effect.

You know I spent a fair amount of time admiring your cowlings. If you ask me, I'd say you've got them spot on. Fact is, I just didn't notice them at all until you said! They blend right in so I'd say go for it, do the whole thing. :goodjob:

Hi Oddball, thank you for that - it's given me the encouragement to continue over the rest of the model! I've made a start on the underside and, so far, the light pencils lines look OK. The hardest part is determining where the panel lines should be now they're filled in! Thankfully some of the filled lines still show as a very slight shadow/depression when seen in a certain light - these are the lines filled with Squadron green putty, the ones filled with Apoxie Sculpt are not at all distinguishable other than a few very tiny pin holes here and there.

I will have to be very careful if I decide to highlight any panels lines (as per the cowlings) because the 3D effect needs to work when viewed from all angles and directions.

I'll try to get a couple more photos posted in the next couple of days.

Jon.

One of the best depictions I've seen recently (albeit on 1/32) is on Mr PHaTNesS's F-15C - I like that a lot!

Sshh, Al might hear you and his head might inflate! ;)

Cracking work Jon - we all have those moments when we lose a bit of the initial enthusiasm, but that's a result of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and, with patience, the results are definitely worth it. Looking forward to seeing this baby completed :goodjob:

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another quick update.

I have drawn thin lines in lieu of the engraved panel lines using graphite pencil for the underside and brown pencil for the upper surfaces. As I said previously, the difficult part in this is figuring out where the lines should be drawn. I think I've gone awry here and there but, in the main, it looks good enough to satisfy my eyes - maybe a little heavy in places but better than the trenches engraved by Airfix!

The model is now gloss coated and most of the decals have been applied. As noted by other people, the decals supplied with this kit are wretched: thick, heavy carrier film, unresponsive to decal setting solution. but hey ho, you work with what you've got!

Next step is to finish the decalling and then apply further coats of gloss and matt before accenting the panel lines with highlights and doing the final weathering.

Progress is painfully slow but hopefully I'll have some free time this coming weekend in which to get more done.

I'm not sure how this little experiment is going and I'd appreciate all constructive comments, positive or negative.

Jon.

110_013.jpg

110_014.jpg