What's with "Crabs"?

ErikB

The Army will always be 'Pongo's' or 'Brown Job's', Marines are 'Booties' and our delightful cousins the Americans are always 'Spams' (not sure if I can explain that one on here though!).

I've also heard the term "green slime" used - e.g. A bar full of army types would be referred to as being "...covered in green slime..."

I've also always liked the way Paras and Royal Marines refer to any other branch of the forces (and each other) as "crap hats".

Strangely enough I was reading something a few months ago along the lines that at one time all RAF members were known as Penguins, rather than the current situation were the ones who wear blue are known as that by those who wish they had been brave enough to join the Army :winkgrin:

AHEMMM!!!!!!!

Christian the Married and ex-God's Finest (RAF Regiment)

Another interpretation of "Crab" (I'm an ex) was that during ceremonial parades when the order came to "Right Dress". we used to shoot our right arms out to the chap on our right and shuffle sideways until the parade was all lined up.

But then you obviously know what we said about the Mate-a-lots, "First two weeks at sea it's legal, rest of the cruise it's compulsory".

You can work out the rest.

DR

Love it, I have never heard that one before! Almost similar to the delightful name most WAAFs seem to earn - spunk bowser! No doubt a name used for WRACs and WRENs as well!

Hi Paul. I'll have to disagree with you on that one, in the FAA at least, the WRENS and there reputation were always kept in high regard and 'Jack' would all but always come to Jenny's defense. Unless it was the 'camp bike'!

Colin on the Africa Station

I read somewhere that soldiers in the Falklands referred to the locals as Bennys, after the dim witted character in Crossroads. Eventually they were ordered to stop it. The new nickname became Stills as in Still Bennys!

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom

Anyone that done time at St athan. The "fanny bowser" used to drop of the VC (valley commandos)on the training camp. Makes me want to run screaming just typing about it.

Did any other unit or base do this?

Ohhhhhhhh! The Valley Commandos! Many moons ago whilst down at Saint's I saw the duty SNCO armed with the usual clipboard of names go out to check in the latest coach load of VC's for the meatmarket (NAAFI bop night) that night get yanked in off his feet, only to reappear a few moments later semi-thrown out of the emergency exit stark naked. Rumor had it that it was quite a night that night!

Christian the Married

Anyone that done time at St athan. The "fanny bowser" used to drop of the VC (valley commandos)on the training camp. Makes me want to run screaming just typing about it.

I remember the local talent being "bussed" into Yeovilton at one time, bringing the likes of "Janet the Planet" and the "Marsh Monster"........Oh happy days.............Smudge

Brilliant rant there, love it! I've highlighted the best bit, it's true, us Riggers (of the old single traded type, I'm now a multi traded 'Heavy' but I'll always be a Rigger)

You mean a "splitbrain"? :D

I remember the local talent being "bussed" into Yeovilton at one time, bringing the likes of "Janet the Planet" and the "Marsh Monster"........Oh happy days.............Smudge

Aaah... memories of Culdrose and Porthleven Jane.

I believe she even had a signature box on the Joining Form!

Mike

I read somewhere that soldiers in the Falklands referred to the locals as Bennys, after the dim witted character in Crossroads. Eventually they were ordered to stop it. The new nickname became Stills as in Still Bennys!

Trevor

When the Falklands locals learnt about this they complained bitterly about being called "Bennies" then as they found out about it complained again about being referred to as, "Stills."

On one famous day just after this a Soldier on foot patrol in Stanley was overheard by an officer saying to his oppo; " Not many Andy's around this morning!"

"Whats an "Andy?" asked the officer.

"A Local sir" he replied. It comes from ................................"And he's Still a Benny!"

I think the locals gave up complaining at this point!

Selwyn

Ex plumber, and at various times in what has been laughingly described as a career;

Liney, Line swine, pan trash, dumpie, klingon and sunshine farmer.

Edited by Selwyn

Not forgeting the wonders of the smog monster and smog monster hunt which usually ended up with a single or double bagger!

Christian the Married, ex-Rock Ape who has no idea what he is rambling on about...

Not forgeting the wonders of the smog monster and smog monster hunt which usually ended up with a single or double bagger!

Christian the Married, ex-Rock Ape who has no idea what he is rambling on about...

Spot on mate.....Don't forget the "Stumpy" as in when the double bag burst and you chewed your arm off not to waken her up.........(I still have both my arms).........Smudge

Spot on mate.....Don't forget the "Stumpy" as in when the double bag burst and you chewed your arm off not to waken her up.........(I still have both my arms).........Smudge

Cheers! I forgot that bit! Ohhh a double bag burst, the horror!

Christian the Married and also still retaining both arms.

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1

I wouldn't dare call myself a 'splitbrain'! I'm far too young for that and it would incur the considerable crusty old wrath of the 'appo' and 'DE' generation!

As for young ladies visiting camps, Cosford had it sorted by bussing in trainee nurses from Wolves once a month. No grotters there!

I remember being on guard at St.Mawgan though and seeing the local 'talent' come through on a Saturday night was always interesting. When they went through passes and permits, you should have seen the looks on the faces of the lads that had pulled them when the girls say, "it's ok, I'm already on the system!"

The Falklands, what a brilliant place. Has the 'Shim' always been there from the dawn of time? The local girls in the Globe in Stanley were always a bit scary, some proper horrors but they never went home alone!

I love this thread!

Edited by paul_c

But if you're a Liney rather than a Shiney, you don't do light blue shirts!

When I arrived at Halton on my fitters course we were gutted to find that the DI's had stopped SAC's wearing dark blue working shirts, this had always been a status symbol to show you were'nt a sprog straight from Swinderby, who had only been issued with light blue 'shiney' shirts. One of the guys on our course decided to read through SSO's (we were all supposed to but never did) and found that dark blue shirts could be worn as part of summer dress. Next morning 150 SAC's turned up for parade wearing dark blue working shirts - the DI's had a fit! We quoted SSO's and they were fecked - result. The fun lasted for six weeks until SSO's were re-written.

Splitbrains were the original two trade (Airframes/Engines) apprentices. The thing today is to make a rigger have sooty knowledge as well, with the sooty doing the opposite. Luckily I got out before I became part sooty.

I wouldn't dare call myself a 'splitbrain'! I'm far too young for that and it would incur the considerable crusty old wrath of the 'appo' and 'DE' generation!

I as a Direct Entrant was never called a splitbrain

I remember the VCs, there were sometimes 3 generations of the same family on the bus.

Also known as the Coyote.

Best dealt with in the 1179 Position ;)