What's with "Crabs"?

ErikB

Hi guys,

Looking through threads on helicopters I came across the term "Crabs" when the Wessex and Sea King were discussed. It seems that it was being used when RAF-flown helo's were meant... Why is the RAF being termed like that? I mean, not armoured, not walking sideways and as for eating carrion, look no further than Little Chef-patrons along the UK Motorways!.. :sick:

Very curious as to why!

Cheers,

Erik.

When I wore a 'crab' uniform part time I was told it went back to a certain parade where the formation was in the wrong position and had to take rather a lot of steps to one-side.

IIRC pre-war - and it was the then King that was inspecting.

Will see if I can find a suitable link and report back...

EDIT: Actuerly I *may* have been talking ballcocks again - there's a rather fun piece on the RAF courtesy of ARRSEPedia that ties in with some of the other things I've heard/been told...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Working a lot in Portsmouth, I was told it was because the Navy were issued with a paste to combat a certain...ahem...personal louse problem, known as crab fat. The packaging was the same blue as the RAF uniform, so the RAF were derogatorily referred to as Crab Fats, later shortened to just Crabs.

Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story...

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 1

It's generally used as a term of endearment, like Pongo for the army, honest. :D But Dean is correct with his summation. It's certainly not as bad as some of the terms any of us forces/ex-forces have been called.

"Fish head" is a favourite of mine when refering to commercial divers offshore or "biodegradable ROV's", "bubbleheads" actually SAT Divers have a few derogatory names!

Edited by Duncan B
  • Like 1

Working a lot in Portsmouth, I was told it was because the Navy were issued with a paste to combat a certain...ahem...personal louse problem, known as crab fat. The packaging was the same blue as the RAF uniform, so the RAF were derogatorily referred to as Crab Fats, later shortened to just Crabs.

Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story...

Cheers,

Dean

Yep, exactly what I heard from some of my Naval brethren a few months back actually.

I know it's supposed to be derogatory but it's all a good laugh and quite endearing, even though I'm RAF myself, being down here at Culdrose I've been know to call myself a Crab quite happily! It works the other way though, I love winding up the FAA lads by calling them 'Fish Heads', they hate being classed as one of them!

'Guin' is an interesting one, usually only used by the Rocks as a derogatory name for the rest of the RAF ground trades, all flap, no fly! I quite like the term 'Erk' but that's definatley from the old school, I've probably only heard the odd crusty Wobbly use that once or twice!

The Army will always be 'Pongo's' or 'Brown Job's', Marines are 'Booties' and our delightful cousins the Americans are always 'Spams' (not sure if I can explain that one on here though!).

And as for the nicknames of trade groups in all 3 services, well, that's another, very long story!

Edited by paul_c

our delightful cousins the Americans are always 'Spams' (not sure if I can explain that one on here though!).

I think that stems from WWII and the arrival of tinned Spam in the U.K. and it's inclusion in the U.S. forces rations.

I think that stems from WWII and the arrival of tinned Spam in the U.K. and it's inclusion in the U.S. forces rations.

Isn't spam a British invention? It's supposed to be tinned, isn't it. Otherwise it's just ham?

Pong, as in smell. :winkgrin:

Ah, yes, how silly of me! Pong, as in smell......

Remind me to notify our Education Ministry that the English taught in Dutch schools is severely lacking! Even basics as: "He pongs really bad" aren't taught!

Anyone for a game of Ping-Smell?

I mean, really, how do you Brits come up with these words? It's fabulous actually, but it sometimes feels like cracking the Enigma-codes... schater.gif

Nope, comes from Minnesota company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam

Oops! Sorry, next time I'll :search:

Heheheh, cheers,

Erik.

Edited because of zpeling misstacke

Edited by ErikB

Well, that may be but there's a more modern version in use these days. Err, here goes a slightly censored one...... SP@$tic AMericanS :shutup:

Edited by paul_c

Well, that may be but there's a more modern version in use these days. Err, here goes a slightly censored one...... SP@$tic AMericans :shutup:

I don't get it. They're never "over the top", are they? :whistle:

Before anyone gets angry with me; just remember that I'm fully aware that the Dutch are known for this role; :nono: telling every other Earthling how to behave... that our courage is bolstered with alcohol, that we have separation anxiety when it comes to parting with our money so when we throw a party everybody brings their own food and drink....

And best for last: what we consider to be refreshingly honest is considered rude beyond measure in any other country!

Arrrghhhh, I think I'll take that Prozac now, thank you! :)

And if it is to be believed, the reason for the colour of the RAF (and many of our worldwide colleagues) uniform is that blue grey colour lies in the fact that a British company had been commissioned to produce material to go to a unit of the Russian Tsar's army. Unfortunately the October Revolution put paid to the order, but fortunately for the company, it was just after the RAF had been "born" and whilst it was was in need of a uniform that distinguished it from the British Army and the RN. Russian material diverted to RAF, but unfortunately material shared a colour very similar to the aforementioned RN "crab fat" - hence crabs.

My son has been described as a "sundodger" or a "bubblehead" as he is a submariner......everyone else of course being ...Targets!

:fight:

Just to add to Roland's point - the RAF has had two light blue uniforms. The first was a rather startling shade of light blue (I think this may have been the Russian consignment), which no-one liked, and which was abandoned in favour of the shade that is now worn. I forget the quote, but ISTR that George V (who also created the rank Marshal of the Royal Air Force in lieu of the planned 'Marshal of the Air') observed that it made his air force look as though it ought to be employed carrying bags at Claridges (steady, there, WAFUs and Pongos alike...) and it ought to be changed at the first opportunity....

Just to add to Roland's point - the RAF has had two light blue uniforms.

But if you're a Liney rather than a Shiney, you don't do light blue shirts!

Edited by paul_c

Having been on many a squadron detachment or on ops, being non sqn personell we were known as Klingons and our working area the Klingon empire. No doubt the fairies,dumpies,sooties and I'm airframes ( YOU'RE ALL LINEYS exept for him, he's trade)guys will have some other derogatory meaning for it.

As a driver and having to suffer driving growbags anywhere, I always hated ( and still do) being called "wheels" or "drives" by a small minority of pilots or "piles" (irritating a*******s)

It's not a :rant: .................honest.

I'll just get me :coat: before the techies and jockies amongst you set thier phasers ti malky :mg::boom: