Using the Airfix 1/72 TSR-2 kit, and a few extra bits.

Airfix72TSR2001.jpg

In a parallel universe far away the TSR-2 was developed to it's full potential, serving the RAF from 1970 thru to 1995. The TSR-2 title was dropped by BAC in favour of the name Eagle.

However as the initials imply, the aircraft was issued to Tactical RAF Squadrons in Germany, and to Strategic Squadrons in England. The models carried slightly different operational equipment, and crews trained with two disparate OCUs.

Tactical aircraft were equipped with laser ranging and targeting gear, and armed with conventional weaponry. They also carried wingtip Sidewinders for self defence. In respect of the different role there aircraft were unofficially know as Buzzards by their crews.

Strategic aircraft were Nuclear armed, with a refuelling probe in the nose, and secure satellite communications. In a bid of rivalry these aircraft were know a Venomous to their crews.

Other developments for the Eagle include a heavy duty field arrestor, and winch-in reconnaissance package that replaces the bomb-bay. Naturally each role had its own flavour of cameras and sensors.

Enough to whet your whistles for now - I'm still working on the story of this particular aircraft.

For now a view of my completed prototype model from 2007:

Airfix_TSR2002.jpg

Well the kit has languished in my stash since 11 March 2006 - so it's six and a half years since Airfix issued the limited edition of 5000.

It cost me the princely sum of 16.99 from a toyshop in Cheltenham, about three quid less than my other TSR-2. They had quite a few of these.

I remember being quite wee weed-off at being unable to return the other (untouched) kit - to buy another at this price. Better not say where - but I don't buy many kits there now!

Anyway here are the box cotents:

Airfix72TSR2002.jpg

My previous model TSR-2 is XR220, the Cosford aircraft, the one that I've actually seen.

The 2006 intention was in case my son ever wanted to build this.

I knew at the time that it was buy now - or pay thru the nose later.

If he wasn't interested (which happened around that time), then a fully developed NATO strike aircraft was a worthy fall-back.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Anyway on with the modelling:

Here's the cockpit

Airfix_TSR2_cockpit003.jpg

Complete with steely eyed pilots. The different weaponry and targeting equipment of Buzzard and Venomous manifest themselves most in the back seat.

Airfix_TSR2_cockpit002.jpg

Just to entertain anybody following this thread, here are my earlier WHIFs.

First a Fleet Air Arm Lightning:

That's a Matchbox T55 donor

Matchbox_LightningVGphoto1.jpg

And two pair of wings

Matchbox_LightningVGphoto2.jpg

It's got Crusader style undercarriage built ito the belly tank - so endurance would be EVEN worse.

Next another Matchbox Lightning Twin as a USAF interceptor - with Falcon missile:

Matchbox_LightningUSAF.jpg

Same model other side as US Navy equivalent - with Sidewinder:

Matchbox_LightningUSNavy.jpg

Finally an 1/72 Airfix F1a that donated its wings and belly to a T5 conversion.

Laminated plasticard FSW, and belly from the Matchbox T55

AirfixLightningFSW_RS.jpg

Now a US Navy Starfighter.

Matchbox_F104_Navy.jpg

Finally, an ancient Frog Harrier converted to my Sea Harrier X.

WhatIf_Harrier7.jpg

X tail for even better conventional turning, wingtip missiles, and Xposed cannon muzzles.

WhatIf_Harrier4.jpg

Enjoy - more TSR-2 photo later tonight.

Airbrushed on black bits that I'm going to mask - like walkways, aerials.

TSR2_zpsda818252.jpg

This model will be completed in Green/Grey RAF camo of 1970s/80s.

Bare metal underside similar to the Hunter.

A bit more progress. I've installed the cockpit glazing, masked and airbrushed it black.

Masked all walkways, and other black bits of the airframe.

TSR-2primer001_zps1c47f8f6.jpg

Here's the underside:

TSR-2primer004_zps5a012906.jpg

Got to say I'm quite enjoying this!

Equipment for the Venomous: Nose mounted refuelling probe, field arrestor gear. ground mapping radar, with optical sighting system,

massive underwing fuel tanks - oh and an internal nuclear bomb. Venomous very rarely flew with any other wing fittings.

Equipping 9, 35, 44, 50, 101 and 617 squadrons in Lincolnshire UK, aircraft are frequently deployed to far flung bases for dispersal purposes.

The underwing fuel tanks are so heavy, the aircraft has to launch with them empty, and refuel en-route to target - hence airborne refueling forms a major part of training.

Equipment for Buzzard: laser range-finding and targetting, optical sighting system, additional fuel in bomb-bay tank.

Ground attack weaponry of every variety on 4 underwing pylons, and tip mounted AIM-9s for self defence.

Buzzards rarely had need for airborne refuelling, so the probes are usually removed.

Equipping 1, 2, 3 , 4, 6, 17, 31, 41, and 54 squadrons in Germany and the UK, most training was done at very low level.

What you're going to see is the Airshow hybrid. Each year one aircraft is converted with combined features for publicity purposes.

The operating squadron varies, but is usually a tactical Buzzard sqaudron.

Decals - she starts to acquire her identity!

TSR2_decals003.jpg

A very dull day out there - but you can see that I've stamped my identity on this project!

Unfortunately the Eagle crashed on her way to this publicity event - loosing her tail-feathers. Nothing that superglue can't fix though!

TSR2_decals007.jpg

Serial XS531 was cobbled from and Airfix Red Arrows Gnat. From the right era - and unassigned to any real aircraft.

Another part of the story, is the display aircraft was operated by 617 Strategic squadron.

TSR2_decals004.jpg

However due to global operational commitments at the height of the Cold War, the actual display aircraft was provided by 41Tactical Squadron, with various bits of both roles fitted.

TSR2_decals005.jpg

The undercarriage has been painted, and I hope to fit that by tonight.

Still waiting for decent light to photo this project.

However construction continues with the undercarriage.

TSR2_undercarriage002.jpg

TSR2_undercarriage003.jpg

As can be seen - this aircraft stopped over at St Dizier, France, home of the French (yes it was an export success) AF Eagle training unit, and acquired some EC2/7 Archer zaps.

TSR2_undercarriage005.jpg

41 Squadron matched on the other side.

TSR2_undercarriage004.jpg

• Like 2