EE Canberra B1 G

The Air Ministry issued specification B3/45 for the production of a jet-powered bomber to replace the Mosquito, the then unknown [ as an aircraft manufacturer ], English Electric submitted their design for the EE A1 , drawn up by W E W Petter. A twin jet, mid wing aircraft of fairly conventional design, but with a nose wheel, a novelty for a British bomber.

The original plan was to use two of the then in developement RR Avon or AS Sapphire engines, unfortunately the failure of the Avon engine to come to fruition at that time meant that the Sapphire was reserved for the new Hawker and Supermarine fighters then in developement. With no other engine availilble in the short term the future of the bomber looked grim.

Petter decided , however , to re-engine the A1 with two high powered piston engines in order that developement flying could start, with the veiw to fit jets when and if they became availible. The choice fell to the Napier Sabre or RR Griffon, the Griffon being selected when it was realised that the "power egg" from an Avro Lincoln could be modified to fit the new bomber.

Trials were successful, and the aircraft entered limited RAF service as the EE Canberra B1 G in 1949. These were later replaced by the Jet engined versions we all remember today and quickly faded from the memories of all but a few.

Right ! , time to make a start on the plastic , Airfix 1/48 Canberra B2 kit and two Aeroclub contra props ,for a start.

canberra002.jpg

Made a start on the cockpit , a coat of Grey-Green and I'm hoping to find a couple of Mosquito style seats for the crew,[ no jets ,no bang seats ] if not then it'll be down to some scratch building. I've added some lead for nose weight, hope it's enough.

canberra004.jpg

Andrew

I have now made a start on the wings and possible engines, cemented the wings and have found a couple of bit of plastic tube that are about the right diameter for the engines.

canberra2001.jpg

These tubes should make a couple of Griffon power-eggs , [ think Shackleton ], with this in mind I've added a couple of internal bulkheads and started to build up the front to the correct shape. we'll have to wait and see if this works out as planned.

canberra2002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making some slow progress , I have joined the fuselage halves and added the wings. I have also progressed on the engines, but wether they'll ever look like Griffon power-eggs I'm not sure yet.

canberra1004.jpg

canberra1003.jpg

canberra1005.jpg

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a bit behind with this one I'm afraid, but have now got the engines fitted and blended in . On the B1 G the jet nacelles were retained ,as the intention always was to fit jet engines when they became availible. This meant that the redundant jet pipes became an ideal position to fit two rocket motors, these could be used to increase take off weights or increase height and speed over targets, they also gave a useful boost when it came to avoiding fighters.

002-7.jpg

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Been rushing to get finished before the deadline , just made it so here it is just about done . Haven't had time to add a bomb load or apply any stenciling and some of the paint is still wet.

007-4_zps67a7ee21.jpg

006-2_zps76f1e4f6.jpg

003-5_zps07da5a0d.jpg

002-8_zps4b9c6b1e.jpg

005-4_zpsea137fd6.jpg

Enjoy, Andrew

Mmmmm... sweet...

If I was the pilot, I would be a little worried about ground clearance with those props, though?