Project Pye

tc2324

It`s 1942 and some strange goings on at Ringway have been noticed by the local residents. However, as there`s a war on, `careless talk` can cost lives and there is little in the way of gossip floating around. Every night crates from Derby are shipped to one of the hangars where engineers and mechanics work hard into the night to keep to the schedule.

In keeping with the Official Secrets Act and under direct orders from the Air Ministry, I am at liberty to release the following photo`s of the kits that will be used in this build.

(As you will note, in time of war, censorship is a key weapon in beating the enemy).

topsecret_zpsfde4c138.jpg

topsecret2_zpsc67de204.jpg

:evil_laugh:

A Lanc huh?

Got to tell the Censors to do a better job or the Enemy will know everything.

Oh look, a serial number ;)

The model dimensions should also have been a clue as well as `Ringway` and `Pye`........ :winkgrin:

As you can see from the pic below, the engineers at Avro have been very busy assembling the two choices of wing sections ........ :lol: (I have a feeling this might be a very slow build....... :pipe: )

006_zps70d2166f.jpg

Ok, so I have cut out the bits I needed from the Canberra wings, namely the engines and I`ll now look forward to the hours of sanding down. :weep:

Here`s a concept picture of the engines in place......

003_zps3fc7a500.jpg

..... and some of you will notice that this looks a lot like the Lanc jet testbed from days of old......

pic-lanc-test13-1_zpsf4670ccd.jpg

Well this was always going to be the basis for my build, but thats where it now ends and I will be changing areas of the fuselage.

The premise of this design is a pressurised high altitude tactical heavy bomber. (Think Tallboys). :winkgrin:

• Like 1

...I will be changing areas of the fuselage.

The premise of this design is a pressurised high altitude tactical heavy bomber. (Think Tallboys). :winkgrin:

All I can think of now is those weird high-altitude Wellingtons with the pressurised crew compartment.

I realy like where thsi one is going looking forward to seeing how it developes.

Had a bit of whiffers block on this one as the design and the way this was all going together in my head didn`t seem to work `in the flesh` once I started dry fitting areas together. So the best course of action was to put it down, have a rethink and get a few weird looks from the wife and kids as I sat in the dining room staring at the pieces. :banghead:

Anyways, I now have a clear path I`m going to follow so the `surgery` has began. :evil_laugh:

001_zps5e5a5a8c.jpg

As you can see, as less `perspex` is going into this design as possible with both ends being solid. I felt that as this aircraft was going to fly into enemy airspace as high and as fast as possible, defensive weapons would be deleted.

One of the areas that was causing a bit of a drama was how I was going to intergrate the engines into the wings. Well..., I couldn`t. It would have been to risky cutting int the Lanc`s wings for it to go wrong. So as part of the rethink I went for hanging the BAEU`s under the wings on small pylons. Problem solved.

This in turn meant filling the holes in the side of the units so out came a couple of drop tanks from a Hunter and again, job done.

002_zpsa3522887.jpg

Since the photo was taken, filler has been applied and it will be at least 24 hours before I can go back to work on them.

I also removed the `V` shape fittings for the outer engines on the wings as the positioning of the jets will be midwing.

004_zpscebce28b.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got the BAEU`s more or less the shape I want them, just need to attach the pylon`s and add a bit more detail like the odd intake duct here and there, and then they are done and I can start scratch building this aircraft `special` weapon. The engines incorporate parts from a Canberra, Hunter and Meteor so you can`t argue that they are British built..... :whistle::lol:

003_zpsfe8d8f9b.jpg

Also started on the cockpit section, but to be honest with what I have planned, your really not going to see much of it so this will probably be as far as I go with this.

004_zps05a3f880.jpg

So going through the spares box tonight to find two decent solid engine pylons, I came up with zilch.

Then a sprue from the Airfix Vulcan caught my eye. It will need a little bit of re-shapeing, but I think it will work.

003_zps0f0fa5b5.jpg

The other task tonight was cutting up the Frog Canberra and I somehow have to fit it into the Lanc`s front section. I feel a bit of a headache coming on...... :banghead:

006_zps4c74be66.jpg

Nice idea for the jet pylons. How about a bubble-type canopy as used on the high-altitude Wellington V & VI? Perhaps using the Canberra clear nose.

Just some random thoughts.

Nice idea for the jet pylons. How about a bubble-type canopy as used on the high-altitude Wellington V & VI? Perhaps using the Canberra clear nose.

Just some random thoughts.

Did think about and consider the Wimpey version Col and it`s not any harder to complete than the Canberra way, just need to raise and reposition the pilots seat.

But, and there`s always a but, :D , I felt that the internal layout for the flight crew may have been kept the same by Avro as this would be a modified aircraft rather than a new build.

Then again, it`s all whif to me....... :lol:

A rather `messy` picture of the new cockpit area as I add bits of plastic to rebuild the area so a less filler is used as possible.

Also had to readjust the pilots seat so it was a little higher and a bit more central.

003_zpsabe4ad3c.jpg