Supermarine Seafire IV

Col.

Funny you should ask that:

http://uamf.org.uk/v...hp?f=189&t=2334

I like it! Looking forward to seeing it finished. How mucky will it be?

regards,

Martin

Ooh, that's nioe! I've a Tempest in a similar scheme awaiting markings so I may just have to do something similar. I have a Spitfire PRXIX in BPF markings, so a fighter or two to go with it may not be such a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels on, prop on, door on, exhaust on, bit of weathering done;

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

This was done over a week ago and haven't had a moment to get back to the bench since.

• Like 3

Very nicely done. I've always been curious to see what a Spit IX based Seafire might look like and it is pleasing to the eye. Plus, a more modest kitbash of IX and I/II bits might make a simple hook up Seafire I/II/III easily doable as well (although a Spit V oil cooler might need to be scrounged from somewhere else).

That resin cockpit also improved the stock interior quite nicely.

• Like 1

... whereas I think Seafires used a size between the two - 45" perhaps? Don't ask where I read that as it could be a figment of my imagination - although I'm now wishing I'd gone with the larger size for extra impact.

No false memory: they are mentioned and provided in the absolutely whizzo sets of BPF transfer sheets released by SAM Publications while Neil Robinson was editor of Model Aircraft Monthly. I expect they are also mentioned in the 2 excellent articles MAM ran on the BPF around the 60th anniversary of VJ-Day. The transfer sheet instructions confirm 40" (45" including outline) on Seafire wings and fuselages.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and interest. Alas I've not any progress to report lately but not a lot remains to do and another current project has just finished so will get my full attention back to this one.

Nice of you confirm my vague memories and provide those references Seahawk.

Thanks chaps. Guess I had an easy ride due to her looking so similar to the earlier Seafire I/II/III series and a readily recognisable colour and marking scheme to steal.

Thank you Martin, very kind of you to say so, have to say your encouraging comments helped retain a good pace of progress. Now I can concentrate on the Seafire III with this one finished. Was hoping to take some better photos for the gallery but if I wait for decent daylight round here it'll be April before that happens.