Turbo Avenger Firebomber 'Conair Avcat'

Radleigh

Hey everyone, welcome to my first GB (Finally!). I've decided to build a Turbo converted Grumman Avenger.

With the lack of piston engines around and coming rarer to source, Conair bought a large amount of Avengers to convert to a 'Conair Avcat' using a Pratt and Whitney PT6A turbo engine. With it's long range capabilities, it's the perfect conversion for fighting forest fires in remote areas.

Photos to follow soon, I shall be using a Airfix 1/72nd kit...

Radleigh.

Cheers guys, It's going to be short and simple. The nose/engine conversion is/will all be scratch built, I've raided my An-12 PPS kit and got a suitable inlet. Unsure on prop yet, might use the kit and mod it with a home made spinner. Water tanks all scratch built and then onto colour. Not decided yet, I'm really tempted to just prime it yellow with a mismatch of colours as if it's just come out from being converted, awaiting the paintshop. Thoughts? :)

Whatever scheme you go for the waterbombers always seem to be bright; plenty red, yellow, white etc. on the palate. Dare say there's always the option to paint the standard parts in an ex-military scheme and primer the new conversion parts as she is between workshop and paintshop? Whatever way you go it's your model and I'm pretty sure it'll look grand if your previous paint jobs are anything to go by.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Col, Not started this yet. Moved house etc so just finishing there, parents came up this weekend to see the new gaff and I done a lovely piece of Lamb for my mums birthday. I'm hoping to get started on this one evening this week. Work is still pretty manic, so I may not update often, but when I do I'll update from a weeks work etc! Hope thats OK :)

• 2 months later...