Panzer II Tank Commander

robw_uk

OK, so trying to get to grips with figure painting... starting with the Panzer II commander I wont use with the tank I have finished..... anyway after first really bad attempt I cleaned him up... this is what I have 2nd time round:

mixed a blue/green (Black, White, Pthalo Blue and Lemon Yellow) and then used plain black and white for shadow/highlight.

Shorts & Hat are black, white, yellow and raw sienna (not as good as the jacket - should;ve done it in 2 sessions really)....

(colours are limited at the moment so going for technique first then looking to add some extra oils to my set)

all painted over mid-grey acrylic as base coat

8053605848_c56298f1fa.jpg

8053600869_3eb6ffee82.jpg

still a LONG way to go with improvements - need some different colours (a proper grey for starters) and some smaller brushes... but am slowly getting the hang of it.... and i mean SLOWLY

You might want to try and use a couple of shades of both high and lowlights-rather than just black.So you could add a thin coat of black for the start of folds/creases,then another coat in the deeper parts (so that has two coats there).Do the opposite with white for highlights-one thin coat on the sides of folds and another on the tops.Then to help blend it all in,add a thin wash of the general base colour over the top.same for the skin tones,try not to go too defined with shading as it looks a bit like someone on stage.

HTH

Mike

cheers Mike - considering what attpemt 1 looked like this is better but know i need to be more subtle. think the biggest issue was the brushes - just not fine enough for 1/35 detail - will get some more (least I got the paint a good consitency this time.....)

Yes,you do need quite small brushes.Before you go any further,you might want to do the flesh areas next.It's a bit easier to paint face/hands/legs first as you can hold the body to do so,doing the body first you may get it a bit mucky/worn when doing the skin.Also-it's the face that often makes/breaks any figure no matter how good the rest of it is.Spend time on this-eyes can be difficult,try and avoid big round pupils-use pictures as a guide.If you're not happy with the face,try again.I prefer to use thin washes of skin shades to 'construct' face-and with thin washes you can add a bit extra if it doesn't look right.

Mike

thanks Mike - on this guy I could hold the boots but yes have read "paint as if you were getting dressed"... so assume skin, then trousers, top and shoes/webbing/gear last....

Edited by robw_uk