Queen Mary 2 Revell 1/400

Chuffin' 'eck that's mahoosive.  I have seen several of these kits in great big Revell boxes carried (lugged?) out of shows and wondered if anyone ever got around to building them.  You obviously did - respect.

• Like 1

She's not the best-looking boat on the planet is she?  Splendid looking model though, very neat.  I've seen some very good, professionally built models of ships in their owners' offices (the ships, not the models) and this will stand comparison with them.

Most modern cruise ships look top-heavy but there's a lot of "stuff" low down in the hull to counter it: some modern marine engines weigh over 1,000 tons alone.  Couple that mass with myriad pumps, generators, air con plant, bow thrusters, fuel oil, fresh water, sea water ballast, stores, waste processing plant and God-alone-knows-what-else down there and the stability isn't as lacking as might first appear.    One thng there won't be is a sockng great solid iron, steel, lead or depleted uranium keel.  Modern stabilisers are wonderful things too.

Ships' tonnage is not always a measure of weight: Titanic had a gross register tonnage of around 45,000.  This is a measure of the volume available inside the ship; nett registered tonnage is cargo volume alone IIRC.  In these cases a ton is a volume of 100 cubic feet.  Deadweight tonnage is the weight of the ship as loaded minus the weight of the ship herself.  There's a better explanation of this on, of all places, Wikipaedia.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stever219 said:

One thng there won't be is a sockng great solid iron, steel, lead or depleted uranium keel.

Permanent ballast, whilst not common, isn't unheard of. S.S. Canberra was noted for having several hundred tons of concrete added up front to correct trim and stability problems

Modern stabilisers are wonderful things too.

Indeed they are, but they don't help with static stability. you need to be moving forwards at some speed (typically >15knots, but they can reduce rolling a bit at speeds >10 knots, below that they're pretty ineffective.

Ships' tonnage is not always a measure of weight:

Ships tonnage is a bit of a minefield, it can be either weight or volume depending on the rules for calulating that particular tonnage. Tonnages are used to determine various fees/dues/taxes payable by ships, and the rules have changed over the years as owners/designers find ways of carring more cargo than the rules intended (eg the Doxford Turret ships)

If you want to know the actual mass (weight) of the ship you need it's displacement.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2012 at 8:03 AM, johnny akes said:

There were a couple of 1/400 Titanics recently which I've thought about getting for comparison purposes, both being the biggest ships in the world in their time - although at 150,000 tonnes the QM2 was 3 times heavier.

A Gross Registered Tonnage of 148,528 is not the weight of of the Queen Mary 2 but is the volume of the hull and enclosed spaces, one gross ton being equivalent to 100 cubic feet.

However I congratulate you on a very nice looking model and should you decide to do a model of R.M.S Titanic I can thoroughly recommend the Academy kit.

• Like 1

this is so good it makes me want to go buy one. My wallet hates this website..... but I love it!!

Fantastic build and I can only echo what others before me have said in that we don't see nearly enough of these civil ships here - especially to this standard

Well done!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...