BAe Hawk FGR.2

Rich F

Cheers guys :thumbsup: managed to get a bit more done in the last couple of days.

The wings and the fuselage are all stuck together, I've improved the the teddy bear ears intakes and opened up the vents behind them. Also using Two Mikes intakes, as you can see a vast improvement over the kit offerings.

Hawk200029.jpg

Hawk200031.jpg

Hawk200030.jpg

Hawk200032.jpg

Before the intakes were glued in place I noticed there would be a gap left between the resin intakes and the kit I filled this with a piece for plastic sheet, the diameter of the resin intakes is also slightly larger than the kit ones so out came the milliput and liberally smeared around the general area to blend the 2 halves together.

Hawk200034.jpg

Hawk200033.jpg

While I had the Milliput out I thought I'd cut out some intakes blanks aswell, just like making biscuits really :eat:

Hawk200035.jpg

A big sanding session is on its way me thinks :hmmm:

• Like 1

Only just caught up with this and it all looks great. I love the hawk 200, I just wish airfix would release a kit of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Skeg, glad you like it.

Shes almost ready for some paint now, heres how she looks now after lots of filling and sanding and a scratch built IFR probe.

Hawk200036.jpg

Hawk200037.jpg

Hawk200039.jpg

Hawk200040.jpg

Hawk200041.jpg

Hawk200042.jpg

Hawk200043.jpg

Hawk200044.jpg

Hopefully get some Alclad primer on tomorrow.

Cheers

Edited by Rich F
  • Like 5

Lookin' good there Rich, I especially like the back end treatment and the det cord in the canopy. Couldn you please explain the procedure behind this. looking forward to the next episode/installment.

Colin

Thanks Guys, just masking up at the mo ready for the primer and a check for any lumps and bumps that shouldn't be there.

Lookin' good there Rich, I especially like the back end treatment and the det cord in the canopy. Couldn you please explain the procedure behind this. looking forward to the next episode/installment.

Colin

Colin the det cord is easy, just pinched the decal from my Revell Harrier kit, this was laid onto top of a little Klear to help it settle down.

Cheers

Cheers Gary & Jason. :rolleyes:

Just a quick update, had a couple of busy days with the Hawk, firstly on went a coat of Alclad grey Primer and Microfiller. This also shows up any problems I had in the filling and sanding stage, thankfully there weren't to many so yesterday the base coat of Mr Color's Barley Grey Laquer, I used this mainly because of it's quick drying time and its pretty tough.

Next up was a major masking session as I masked off the under cart bays , the tail and a few spurious panels that was going to spray a slightly different colour to represent a well worn aircraft.

Hawk200045.jpg

Hawk200046.jpg

Hawk200047.jpg

Today I sprayed the bits I masked off the previous day, once this had dryed I had go with some well thinned Tamiya Smoke and 'dirtied' it up a bit. It doesnt show up that well on the pic's but this is only the first round of weathering.

Hawk200048.jpg

Hawk200049.jpg

Hawk200050.jpg

I'll give it a coat of Klear (hopefully the paint won't darken to much) and a bit of detail painting to the bays etc, then onto the decalling.

Any guesses as to which Sqn its going to be? :whistle:

I'm really going to be pushed to get this in before the deadline, but I'll try... :whip:

• Like 2

Looking lovely there Rich. Close to the deadline but also close to being finish - so hope you make it as she will be a stunner for the gallery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Guys, as you can see I didn't get this one past the finish line in time :fraidnot: To all those that did make it, well done, some great builds in the Gallery, already added my vote and thanks to the Mods for organising it, hopefully my next GB will be more successful.

If the mods would be so kind and move it to the Work In Progress Forum I'll carry it on there.

Cheers, oh and Happy New Year! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

After failing to finish this in time for the deadline I sort lost my mojo for a while and didnt do any modelling for nearly 3 weeks. :badmood:

Anyhow after a coat of Klear the decals are now on and progress is being made, hopefully I can get this finished before the end of the month.
Hawk200051.jpg
Yep, its 63Sqn, look like its been zapped, but by who?
Hawk200052.jpg

Hawk200053.jpg

Hawk200054.jpg
Really like the way the Archer rivets come out.
Hawk200055.jpg
Some dangly bits to hang under the wings
Hawk200056.jpg

The mods may want to move this thread to the appropriate location.

Cheers

• Like 5

Detail, detail, detail as usual Rich - building and spraying a model anyone can do, building it accurately is something very different!

Would love to see a couple of Squadrons of these for "Home Defence" to supplement the Typhoon squadrons.

Keep up the great work

So, in waaaaay off-topic land, what would happen if you put a dozen of these up against an F-35? Presumably the F-35 would use its cunning gadgets and AAMRAAMS to take out 4 before they even knew it was there but would then have to head home for more missiles. Could the Hawk ever win by virtue of numbers? Should the whole F-35 contract be cancelled in favour of a (much) greater number of these?

Or should we just say "lovely model Rich" and leave it at that? :)

Kirk

Cheers guys, yep would have loved to see a couple of squadrons of these in RAF hands.

Westie, I like your suggestions, when I first got the Neomega conversion set I did have a couple of whif's in mind. There was an ground attack Hawk armed with Mavericks in dark green, lichen green camo (think puma) or maybe a Kiwi one in the Euro One camo (very tasty :Tasty: ) would love it if Richard (Gekko_1) could do some artwork???

But then I had a reality check and thought of the most likely use for it in a cold war late 80's senario and went with an Air defence version, but I do agree with you, maybe later in its career it could have gone multi-role.

• Like 1