1/48 Sea Harrier FA3 Finished 26-12-2012

Arniec

Hi guys.

I want to build a Sea Harrier FA3 from a 1/48 Revell (Hasegawa) Harrier GR 7/9 and with some parts from a Airfix Sea Harrier FA2. I have for this also a Aires cockpit and some Aires exhausts.

I don't have any photos jet, but they will follow in some time.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Sounds cracking, a new SHAR was a much better option than no SHAR but alas the UK government didn't think that way, look forward to seeing this one take shape soon.

Here are some pictures of the content of the box. I hopefully can start this build next weekend. I still need to get a late ejection seat for this but that won't be a problem. I also need my project for Telford this year so that hase got my priority at the moment.

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

A nice collection of parts there Arnold . We both have the Bf109 G/B starting in less than a monthso looks like busy time for both of us.

Yeah I know and it will be even more, because I also committed myself for the mosquito GB that starts in December.

I believe I am in for 2 models in the 109 and the mosquito GB. So it will be very busy!!!

Cheers,

Hi Guys,

I started with chopping of a part of the GR7 nose and after some filling was the nose from a Shar 2 matted with it.

I still have to fill the space between the two, but this hase first to dry properly before I can do that.

Here are some pictures of it.

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

The first cut.

IMG_3524.jpg

After cutting

IMG_3526.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

The matting of the nose to the front fusselage.

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

The nose testfitted for the look.

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

If you take a good look at the last pictures you will also notice that I have test fitted the Aires cockpit tub as well.

This is it sofar.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Great to see this one under way now but I'm thinking those few photos give no representation of just how much work you've done to it so far.

Hi Col.

To bee honest it was just a half hour job sofar. The most time consuming job will be to fill the ridge between the nose and fuselage.

The rest of the buildo will be almost straight forward.

Cheers,

i'll follow your build with interest, as mentioned above, the Navy should have pushed harder for a SHAR replacement, However I think the Crabs have someone on the inside in parliament, who pushes for what they want and sod everyone else!

Colin on the Africa Station

• Like 1

Yes Spence,

But would the English Buy a model from the americans of the shelf?! :evil_laugh: I didn't think that either (just like the Dutch don't want a JSF of the shelf). So they want a GR7 with their own radar and other stuf only found on a British SHAR.

Sheers,

Edited by Arniec

Sorry guys,

No update jet. I am still very bussy with my project for Telford. This is almost ready for some paint and then I have some more time for this one.

Cheers,

i'll follow your build with interest, as mentioned above, the Navy should have pushed harder for a SHAR replacement, However I think the Crabs have someone on the inside in parliament, who pushes for what they want and sod everyone else!

Colin on the Africa Station

It's always been the way. Back when the desicion was made to scrap the carriers, the RAF claimed they could give worldwide coverage to the Navy, and proved it on a map. Unfortunately, they had moved Australia on that map to cover a large hole in their cover over the Pacific!

Yes, I'm ex RAF, but I believe we should always have carriers!

• Like 1

Are you going to retain the FLIR?

Hi Kirk, you mean the front of the original nose?! Than my answer is no. I believe the SHAR 2 didn't have that one either. But with a targeting pod you could have almost the same posabilaties.

Cheers,

I have done just a little bit yesterday between the two builds for Telford. It is not much, but I have filled the gap betwen the two nose parts.

I have taken no photo's of it.

Cheers,

Gap filling is always a lot more work than it looks to get right but has its own rewards once the paint goes on.

Yes you are right. Luckily it was just a small gap. I filled it in with some plastic card and after that just some tamiya putty. I let this completely dry out before I start with the sandpaper.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, No update jet. The other project is sucking up all of the modelling time. I am hoping that I can do some work on it this weekend.

Cheers,