DeHavilland Mosquito FB.Mk.VI Tamiya 1/48

Superbly built and painted, a cursory look at most photos of the Mosquito shows it to have a patchy appearance (unless its paint shop fresh) Weathering isnt just a mechanical function, expansion /' contraction and chemical elements all come together to degrade a painted finish, perhaps the varying skin thicknesses (and therefore their ability to absorb heat and cold) and expansion rates lead to a patchy look.

Brilliant

Richard McC

• Like 1

The model is really quite nice, but it is also a demonstration that "less is more." The "Spanish school" of model painting emphasizes things that should be de-emphasized. If you've ever been around real airplanes, the amount of this sort of fading is nearly non-existant. However, pre- and post-shading- which even at its least is far more than would be seen in reality - can add "depth" that insures the model is indeed three-dimensional. But like most things such as weathering and such, the more subtle the result the more realistic the look. The "Spanish school" is great if you're drawing cartoons. What would have been interesting here would have been to give the model "high altitude UV fading". Given that your part of the world has more clouds than anywhere else, sun fading like this never really happens. What happens instead is the airplane breaks out of "the largest cloud in Europe" (under which all Allied pilots could find England, as many have testified) at 20,000+ feet, and the sun then fades the paint with enhanced ultraviolet. So the Ocean Grey takes on a violet tinge, the Dark Green takes on a red-brownish tinge, probably with a blotchy effect, and the Sea Grey Medium takes on a hint of blue(ish).

It really is really a Major Rule of Art: "less is more." "More is better" is the usual road to perdition with a model.

Please take this as intended to help in the future. I am sure this model as it exists would win all kinds of awards at a show.

Edited by TCinLA
  • Like 1

:wow: Thats an absolutely beautiful mossie Arkady, even if the ribbing effect is not right for the aircraft it has still been very well executed along with the rest of the weathering and its good to see that your not afraid to experiment, with the amount of time you invest in a model its a difficult decision to risk trying something new :)

So when are you going to do a painting tutorial....?

Cheers, Stu

The model is really quite nice, but it is also a demonstration that "less is more." The "Spanish school" of model painting emphasizes things that should be de-emphasized. If you've ever been around real airplanes, the amount of this sort of fading is nearly non-existant. However, pre- and post-shading- which even at its least is far more than would be seen in reality - can add "depth" that insures the model is indeed three-dimensional. But like most things such as weathering and such, the more subtle the result the more realistic the look. The "Spanish school" is great if you're drawing cartoons. What would have been interesting here would have been to give the model "high altitude UV fading". Given that your part of the world has more clouds than anywhere else, sun fading like this never really happens. What happens instead is the airplane breaks out of "the largest cloud in Europe" (under which all Allied pilots could find England, as many have testified) at 20,000+ feet, and the sun then fades the paint with enhanced ultraviolet. So the Ocean Grey takes on a violet tinge, the Dark Green takes on a red-brownish tinge, probably with a blotchy effect, and the Sea Grey Medium takes on a hint of blue(ish).

It really is really a Major Rule of Art: "less is more." "More is better" is the usual road to perdition with a model.

Please take this as intended to help in the future. I am sure this model as it exists would win all kinds of awards at a show.

Thank you very much for your interesting comment. However let me disagree with some things...

Firstly I've never treated my hobby as the Art. Otherwise I would have to change my profession which is for me a lot more of a challenge than making models. Modeling will be always for me just a hobby.

Secondly, you mentioned the "Spanish School". So, I like this school very much, in my opinion, so far this is the best way of paint techniques to achieve with plastic kit something more than nicely looking, but still "flat looking" painted model. Even as you said on the real planes this sort of fading is nearly non-existant ( sometimes of course because there is a thousands photos showing many kinds of fadnig, weathering, even hard dirty effects on the planes) I am sure that every model painted according to the Spanish School rules is looking more interesting and eyecatching than any other.

Some day perhaps somebody will find better way.

What happens instead is the airplane breaks out of "the largest cloud in Europe" (under which all Allied pilots could find England, as many have testified) at 20,000+ feet, and the sun then fades the paint with enhanced ultraviolet. So the Ocean Grey takes on a violet tinge, the Dark Green takes on a red-brownish tinge, probably with a blotchy effect, and the Sea Grey Medium takes on a hint of blue(ish).

Is there scientific proof of these phenomena? If yes, I'll take that into consideration during my next paintworks.

Thanks again for your voice in my gallery.

:wow: Thats an absolutely beautiful mossie Arkady, even if the ribbing effect is not right for the aircraft it has still been very well executed along with the rest of the weathering and its good to see that your not afraid to experiment, with the amount of time you invest in a model its a difficult decision to risk trying something new :)

So when are you going to do a painting tutorial....?

Cheers, Stu

I will try to show something again in the end of October or a bit later.

Whether or not you spend time around 'Real' aircraft is irrelevant, unless the aircraft (in this particular case) was built and painted in the 1940's, was made of wood, and was used operationally and then vacuum packed (assuming you are not 80 years old). The fact of the matter is, if you look at contemporary photographs of Mosquitos (lets face it our only source of information) the underlying structure of the aircraft is reflected (for what ever reason) in the paint finish, unless (as commented earlier) it is paintshop fresh. The depiction here is (at worst) a little uniform but it does reflect reality.

This model would win 'all kinds of awards' at shows and rightly so

Richard McC

• Like 1

Whether or not you spend time around 'Real' aircraft is irrelevant, unless the aircraft (in this particular case) was built and painted in the 1940's, was made of wood, and was used operationally and then vacuum packed (assuming you are not 80 years old). The fact of the matter is, if you look at contemporary photographs of Mosquitos (lets face it our only source of information) the underlying structure of the aircraft is reflected (for what ever reason) in the paint finish, unless (as commented earlier) it is paintshop fresh. The depiction here is (at worst) a little uniform but it does reflect reality.

This model would win 'all kinds of awards' at shows and rightly so

Richard McC

Some "operational" pictures can say more than words:

http://img204.images...4a175d4cb4z.jpg

http://img32.imagesh...977be50191z.jpg

http://img339.images...04935232916.jpg

Fadings?

http://img3.imagesha...83984861616.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphoto...264070616_n.jpg

http://www.historyof...pitfire_XII.jpg

Good example of ribbing:

https://fbcdn-sphoto...688827616_n.jpg

• Like 1

-Dziekuje Arkady for these photos, thet just depict what I try to represent on my models but unfortunatly I still never have achieved a result that could satisfy me

• 3 years later...

Thank you very much for your interesting comment. However let me disagree with some things...

Firstly I've never treated my hobby as the Art. Otherwise I would have to change my profession which is for me a lot more of a challenge than making models. Modeling will be always for me just a hobby.

Secondly, you mentioned the "Spanish School". So, I like this school very much, in my opinion, so far this is the best way of paint techniques to achieve with plastic kit something more than nicely looking, but still "flat looking" painted model. Even as you said on the real planes this sort of fading is nearly non-existant ( sometimes of course because there is a thousands photos showing many kinds of fadnig, weathering, even hard dirty effects on the planes) I am sure that every model painted according to the Spanish School rules is looking more interesting and eyecatching than any other.

Some day perhaps somebody will find better way.

Is there scientific proof of these phenomena? If yes, I'll take that into consideration during my next paintworks.

Thanks again for your voice in my gallery.

I will try to show something again in the end of October or a bit later.

I have been working around aircraft for most of my life and I agree with Arkady72. I can find many examples of the fading and weathering he has rendered. When we deployed to the middle east, our F-15s built up a layer of fine sand and staining. You could see the panel lines from a fair distance away. These disappeared after returning home and a good rain shower. So not only was it a matter of fading due to age, but temporally were they geographically located.

Also the models that Arkady72 produces are true works of art and masterpiece models! Thank you all and Best Wishes.