DeHavilland Mosquito FB.Mk.VI Tamiya 1/48

Here is my completed Mosquito from Tamiya in scale 1/48. Added some extras from Aires ( engines, cockpit etc... ).

Markings for FB Mk.VI version from 487 Squadron. Feel free to comments my experimental paint job.

Mosquito001.jpg

Mosquito004.jpg

Mosquito023.jpg

Mosquito020.jpg

Mosquito011.jpg

Mosquito025.jpg

Mosquito028.jpg

Mosquito018.jpg

Mosquito009.jpg

Mosquito032.jpg

• Like 16

A beautifully made model and, technically, superbly painted. I'm curious what the 'grid' pattern on the top of the fuselage and wings is meant to represent though?

The Mosquito fuselage was made as a ply/balsa/ply composite shell so there are no frames and stringers as in a metal fuselage. Similarly the wings are plywood sheets laid over closely spaced spruce stringers. None of which would produce the pattern you have applied. Same for the tailplanes.

As I said, a thoroughly beautiful model, and the metal parts of the airframe and the underside look fantastic, but I would certainly question the weathering patterns represented on the upper surfaces.

• Like 2

A magnificent model of one of my favourite aircraft.

If I am free to comment on the experimental paint job then I would say that the weathering is a little heavy for my taste. However, I would have to admit that I have neither the patience nor the skill to achieve a similar result, let alone think of toning it down a little.

I don't know about the accuracy of it and I know that you don't really care as you build purely for the pleasure of it ( "what references? I looked at the box art!" I think was your quote when I once asked you what you referred to :winkgrin:) but it is an amazing build and I just wish I could build,paint and weather my models like that. It is the transparency of the paint and the way you apply the various shades that I can't do, my colours always look too solid.

• Like 1

I don't know about the accuracy of it and I know that you don't really care as you build purely for the pleasure of it ( "what references? I looked at the box art!" I think was your quote when I once asked you what you referred to :winkgrin:)

:speak_cool:

SImply awesome paintjob.

Like others have said, I don't know how realistic it is, but it looks just awesome!

I must go now, I have to practice airbrushing... :bye:

It looks like you masked off ribs/panels before spraying a dark wash for weathering. Is that your experiment?

Roger

Yes, that was my experiment.

The Mosquito fuselage was made as a ply/balsa/ply composite shell so there are no frames and stringers as in a metal fuselage. Similarly the wings are plywood sheets laid over closely spaced spruce stringers. None of which would produce the pattern you have applied. Same for the tailplanes.

As I said, a thoroughly beautiful model, and the metal parts of the airframe and the underside look fantastic, but I would certainly question the weathering patterns represented on the upper surfaces.

Thank you for explanation of Mosquito construction. I find that my paint experiment was unfortunate. Anyway thaks for all comments guys!

-Magnificent job

- What ever the model,even after many many modelling years, I find very difficult to render the weathering of the upper surfaces , may be excepted the modern jets.These surfaces are usually faded by the flight conditions full of paint patches,oil stains, machanics or service men foot prints and so and so and after a few flight hours or outside parking, these surface never look as if they were once factory fresh. The models we see on shows all too often does not reflect this weathering, they look like our modern well preserved warbirds and not like the operationnal machine they intend to depict..

-Of course there is technical constrains, a metal , a wooden or a fabric covered surface have a different weathering appearence but the common point between all these weatherings is that they all are difficult to represent to be credible. Our Mosquito friend has done a louable job with his kit even if it is not technically right, but if my models were like his I really feel like a king in the moddelling world......