Another USS Enterprise E build

I know the feeling my friend. I took a break from my E to make the Voyager to give me a little more motivation. Like i said before ive been watching a lot of Voyager lately so ive been feeling inspired :-P

One thing i will say is varnish the kit, then get some Micro Kristal Klear from ebay or a modelling site. Its great, a tiny bit in the windows and you wan wipe the excess off completely with a damp cloth. This will solve your uneven light problem when viewing the ship from certain angles. Definitely worth it mate

I know the feeling my friend. I took a break from my E to make the Voyager to give me a little more motivation. Like i said before ive been watching a lot of Voyager lately so ive been feeling inspired :-P

One thing i will say is varnish the kit, then get some Micro Kristal Klear from ebay or a modelling site. Its great, a tiny bit in the windows and you wan wipe the excess off completely with a damp cloth. This will solve your uneven light problem when viewing the ship from certain angles. Definitely worth it mate

Yep - thanks for the tip - I will defo do that once I finish the decals - not many to go, just the engineering hull and nacelles - WOOT!!

I also ordered the PE set so will see if I can retro fit those parts too once they get here...

Edited by Quarky

Quick update - lower saucer section now fully decalled and varnished.

The Acreation decal set continues to impress with the level of detail - here are a few close ups:

ENTe045_zpsa0022155.jpg

ENTe044_zpsf130e4ed.jpg

ENTe043_zps1d8747ba.jpg

ENTe042_zpsa36cbe9d.jpg

Hopefully get on to the engineering hull this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update while watching The Empire Strikes Back :popcorn:

Finally got all the decals on - here are some pics (note the broken kit decal - one of the 'radiators' - they are so feckin fragile grrrr):

ENTe046.jpg

ENTe047.jpg

ENTe048.jpg

Tomorrow, I will be giving this the FINAL matt varnish coats :thumbsup:

Then on to correcting the windows with Kristal Klear (or whatever it's called), retro-fitting the PE parts when they eventually arrive, and buidling the base (that may take a while...I got a great acrylic mirror online and cut to size for the base - just need to get the timber now and build it!

Edited by Quarky

DISASTER STRIKES!

It was all going so well...today was the final matt varnishing of the engineering hull/warp pylons & nacelles.

As I'd already varnished the saucer section with 4 thin coats, I simply used bits of plastic bag that the parts came in and used Tamiya masking tape to secure it all.

I then sprayed the rear of the ship, took off the masking tape/plastic...and this is what I found:

ENTe049.jpg

ENTe050.jpg

ENTe051.jpg

I mean, WTF?? 4 coats of varnish and the masking tape strips it off as well as the underlying decals?!?

I guess I'll learn form this mistake...

In the meantime, I really need suggestions as to how I can fix this - anyone know a source where I can purchase a new decal set...or anyone have one lying around I could purchase?

Any help most appreciated...

Make a list of the decals you need and ill see what i can find

Cheers mate - it's pretty much as per the pics...

• Main registry for saucer top
  • Main registry for saucer bottom
  • 'radiators' and small detail decals in front of main registry saucer bottom

I'll use some of the left over acreation decals for the broken lifeboat hatches.

After a bit of digging, I found are decal sets available online for $9.00 - catch is, it's $40 for delivery!!! I'd be better off just buying a new model!

I see what you mean, I came up against the same wall when looking. The shield emitters (the triangular bits) I can spare from mine, because they are the wrong colour and because i'm painting them. But I guess that still leaves you with the main registration. I can't imagine me needing the decals on mine for quite some time, when i do start on her again im taking her apart to change the wiring and to change her structurally into the nemesis version.

Quick update - Many thanks to Chablar for sending replacement decals I managed to wreck :thumbsup:

ENTe052.jpg

ENTe053.jpg

Bit of work on the stand - using the kit piece upside down, glued this onto the model using liquid poly then superglue then slid on a piece of brass tubing giving it a tight fit.

ENTe054.jpg

I have another brass tube with a slightly bigger diameter that I'll slide over this one.

Larger brass tube cleaned up with some wet n dry, then a few coats of flat varnish.

ENTe055.jpg

ENTe056.jpg

Next I'll be pouring some hot glue into the smaller tube to hopefully make a better fix to the model...then on to some kristal klear for the windows...thankfully I don't have to do all of them as the acreation aztec decals did a good job of creating 'windows' for me! :winkgrin:

Well was happily getting on with this when one of the nacelles broke off LOL! After a few minutes of panic, I managed to re-attach it with oodles of super glue without any damage...man, building this thing has been a roller coaster ride!

'Captain, she cannie take much more of this!'. Man, you need to be a little more careful :D. Ive just realised ive got a fair bit of light bleeding out from the nacelle pylon joints from the impulse engines so ive got to perform some surgery...bah...