Royal Navy FRS 1 Sea Vespid

Kallisti

Indeed Dan, they are full of lovely detail!

The weekend saw some significant progress, although this photo isn't good at showing it...

DSCF6966.JPG

Thats after the first coat of Extra Dark Sea Grey upper and white undersides. The canopy is just temporarily located - I did glue it with white PVA glue during the spraying so that I got the surrounds painted and then the masks came off for this photo. Next was some Klear and some oil-based panel wash, followed 24 hours or so later by another coat of Klear to give this:

DSCF6968.JPG

I've tried not to go too far overboard on panel lines - I like subtle emphasis. The cockpit has finally been fixed into the body and various gaps filled with Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Dissolved Putty. Ejector seat still to be fitted.Underside has had the same, although the camera has washed out most of it:

DSCF6970.JPG

I havn't gone made inside the landing gear bays as this will be not visible when the model is finished, although I did spend significant time on the gear itself which can be seen along with all the other bits and bobs that are going to be fitted in the next few stages

DSCF6971.JPG

RBF tags added (still need to do those for the bombs - thanks for the advice Hawkkeeper!) Still working on the landing gear doors and of course the photo doesn't show up all the detail so here is a close up!

DSCF6974.JPG

Brake lines added with lead wire. Here too is a close up of the ejector seat:

DSCF6975.JPG

Onto the home straight now, decaling next - lots of stencils and of course the FAA decals - I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out now!

Edited by Kallisti

Very quick update - 98% done now - decals went on a treat and look the bizz, landing gear and landing gear doors added, stores added and matt coat sprayed. The Hasegawa Aircraft weapons E turned up yesterday so I was able to add the sniper pod instead of the TIALD. When the matt coat was dry, the canopy was attached but I found I had lost the strut that lifts it so I had to scratch build that out of a piece of wire!

Its now sitting on its base on the shelf waiting for me to photograph it - I'll do that tomorrow and post the pics.

Edited by Kallisti

As promised...

These are all the "completed" photos - I'll post the best 4 in the GB Gallery shortly:

DSCF6976.JPG

DSCF6977.JPG

DSCF6978.JPG

DSCF6980.JPG

DSCF6981.JPG

DSCF6982.JPG

DSCF6983.JPG

I really enjoyed this build - it wasn't overly complicated and didn't give me any headaches - was a nice change from previous build where I've made things difficult for myself :)

• Like 5

The scheme give her a slightly retro look and makes me think of this as a Buccaneer replacement. Cracking work fella. Lots of very nice subtle detail around her to add those touches of realism.

Thanks guys - I looked carefully at existing Hornets and they didn't show much weathering/staining so I restrained my usual tendencies of dirtying everything up and kept it to some oil wash variations around the joins which was a nice and more subtle substitute for pre-shading!

Ah yes. Glad you went for the white EDSG scheme. You know it made sense. :winkgrin: It is very Buccaneeresque around the nose area. Love it. Any chance of an underside shot?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...