Lightning II, FGR.1 (F-35B), Royal Air Force, 2022.

DaveJL

More done today. I painted over the initial coat of Medium Sea Grey, as this did not look right to me, with Model Master Gunship grey. Once dry, i painted the nose area a lighter shade of grey as per some online references. I then painted the cockpit framing, added the exhaust, stabilisers and nav lights:

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

The horizontal stabilisers sit at an odd angle-slightly upwards as toward the outer edges. I don't know much about the F-35, so I don't know if this is correct or an issue with the kit.

I then moved on and added the glazing found under the nose. I assume this is the targeting/FLIR sensor:

IMG_3524.jpg

I also completed the seat. Not much colour on this according to the internet!

IMG_3518.jpg

Then finished off the pylons:

IMG_3519.jpg

And weapons:

IMG_3520.jpg

Everything just needs a gloss coat in preparation for decals.

More to come.

Dave

More to show. Kit was glossed a few days ago so I was able to get the decals on this morning. I was torn about what way to go about this, so in the end I plopped for the normal RAF style markings!

II (AC) SQN was chosen as the lead for Operation 'Urgent Response'...

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

Decals are a right mixture! Model Alliance for the roundels, bomb tally and SQN markings, Revell for the Rescue arrow, Hasegawa for the intake stencils (off a F/A-18F sheet) and the kits own decals for the stencils below the fan and cockpit sides. The serial is made up of both Model Alliance and Hobbyboss decals. The '03' on the tail is from a Harrier kit.

The weapons were also decalled:

IMG_3530.jpg

The wash was next. There are very few panel lines on the Jet, mainly because of the RAM material and the fact that the majority of the plane is made from composites (I think!) so just a light was was applied:

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

And off:

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

Ordnance was sealed with a matt coat and the ASRAAM's given a bit of a facelift:

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

Will get a Matt coat on the rest of the jet this evening and hopefully start putting it all together tomorrow.

More to come.

Dave

Managed to get it finished this afternoon. Once the landing gear was on, it was just a case of adding the pylons, ordnance, antennae and canopy.

Finished article is here

Some final thoughts on the kit. It is actually very good, not Hasegawa/Tamiya quality but for a company relatively new, it's a great effort! Be sure to dry fit everything and you should have little problem. Beware also that the plastic is quite brittle. It goes together well and with relative ease, despite the instructions getting the part numbers the wrong way round!

I'm not the biggest fan of the F-35, but it is growing on me slightly. Will I build another one of these? No, I'll build the F-35A instead!

Thanks to all who followed/commented.

Dave