Tomcat F.1, 56 Sqn, Royal Air Force.

DaveJL

Just about got the building phase finished today. Everything has been cleaned up and the kit has had a soapy bath and will be primed tonight:

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

Will hopefully get the painting done on Tuesday.

All Tomcat F.1's were delivered in an overall 'Gull Grey' colour scheme which the RAF decided not to change. All Squadron insignia and special paint jobs were carried out in the UK.

More to come.

Dave

More done today. Kit was primed on Sunday and I sprayed the wheel wells yesterday so was able to get most of the paint on today:

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

Note the black antennae and buff coloured ECM blisters. Also started painting the Dr Pepper GE-110's:

IMG_3259.jpg

The quickboost FOD inserts:

IMG_3265.jpg

Next up is to paint the skunk stripe, tail fins, ventral strakes and missiles.

More to come.

Dave

Managed to get a bit more done today. Firstly, I painted all the missiles, which are now ready for varnish and decals:

IMG_3280.jpg

Ventral strakes painted red:

IMG_3281.jpg

Tail fins sprayed:

IMG_3286.jpg

Red 'skunk stripe' on:

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

Next up is to add the tail fins, tidy up the cockpit, add the windshield and get a coat of gloss on.

More to come.

Dave

Bit more to show today. Added the windshield, tail fins, ventral strakes and painted the nav lights and other odds'n sods:

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

The Tomcat F.1's did not have the 2 plate HUD system installed on all D model Tomcats, but instead they had a single plate HUD fitted, similar to that on the F-15C. (think you can see it in picture 2 :lol: )

More to come.

Dave

Excellent paint work! What did you use to create the ECM blisters?

Thanks mate. To be honest, i'm not sure what the ECM blisters are. They were just found in my spares box! I think they may be from a Kinetic F-16, but i'm not 100% sure.

Dave

A good bit of progress made today. The kit was glossed a few days ago so I managed to get all the decals on:

IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

(note the Iraqi Air Force 'kill' marks representing the 3 Mig-23's that this jet downed)

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

Decals were a mixture of Hobbyboss, Revell, Model Alliance and some others from the spares. After that was done i gave it another spray of gloss and then added the wash:

IMG_3325.jpg

The wings, stabilisers, fuel tanks and pylons got the same treatment. 25 minutes later, off it came:

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

While all that was drying, i finished the missiles:

IMG_3326.jpg

And the exhausts:

IMG_3327.jpg

Will spray on a flat coat this evening and leave it for a few days. Next up is to attach the landing gear and doors, antennae, engines and stabilisers.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Lovely neat work with a scheme that looks spot on for the TomCat.