Tomcat F.1, 56 Sqn, Royal Air Force.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my first entry for this GB; A 1/48 Hasegawa F-14, dubbed the F-14E, or Tomcat F.1...

Based on the D model Tomcat, the RAF ordered 46 new build jets from Grumman in 1993 for delivery from 1996 onwards. The jets were to supplement/replace the Tornado F.3 fleet and provide the RAF with the best interceptor available at the time. The F.1's were modified with a new communications suite, defensive aides and the ability to carry the AIM-120 AMRAAM missile. BAE systems wanted a monopoly on the jets to include installing new ejection seats, fire control system and radar warning receivers, but the MoD said no, and only allowed the minor modifications mentioned above to be added to the finished Grumman product.

56 Sqn was the first to receive the new jets and had its full compliment of 12 by early 1996. The squadron was deployed on Operation Northern Watch, Southern Watch and policed the skies over Kosovo along with her sister squadrons. In November 1999, one 56 Sqn jet successfully engaged and destroyed three Iraqi Air Force MIG-23's that had violated the Northern 'No Fly Zone' in Iraq with the potent AIM-54C+ Phoenix missile. Two were direct hits at a range of 85 miles, while it was believed the 3rd MIG crashed into the ground while trying the evade the Phoenix.

Deliveries of the Tomcat F.1 were completed by 1998 and eventually equipped 3 frontline squadrons, two for QRA and one for operational deployment (although the jets were pooled for the latter). A single training/OCU was also established, with the crews regularly deploying to both 'Red Flag' at Nellis AFB and 'Top Gun' at NAS Fallon, both in Nevada USA. One aircaft was lost in a 'bird strike' flying out of RAF Coningsby. The crew ejected safely. 4 jets were rotated through 1345 Flight at RAF Mount Pleasant on a yearly basis.

The QRA jets regularly intercepted Russian TU-95 Bears and TU-160 Blackjacks off the UK coast.

From 2004 onward, the Southern QRA was handed over to the Typhoon, freeing up another 12 jets for operational deployment as and when required. The Tomcat remained in place for the Northern QRA out of Leuchars. Current plans have the Tomcat F.1's remaining in RAF service until at least 2025 and there are plans in place to convert a few airframes for the SEAD or 'Wild Weasel' role, although budgetary restraints may force these plans to be abandoned.

(A bit far fetched but, well, you know....)

The kit:

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

Extras:

IMG_3069.jpg

I will be using Royale Resin fuel tanks, possibly Royale Resin wheels, Dr Pepper GE-110 exhaust nozzles, Wolfpack NACA gun vent, Master brass pitot tube and i've also ordered Quickboost seats and FOD covers. Decals are a mix of donations and parts from the spares box.

Any additional modifications will be scratch built and she'll be fully loaded with 4x AIM-54, 2x AIM-120 and 2x AIM-9.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Yep, the flames are from the 2000 display Jet, but I doubt I'll be using them on this build, same with the sharks teeth, but this is subject to change :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

That's a fine collection of bits for one of my fave planes, should look good with roundels too.

If you're a Tomcat fan you probably know this already, but the photography in "Bye-Bye Baby" is amazing. I keep picking it up and getting lost in it.

watching.....watching...watching.....c'mon dude get this one built !!!!!

Easy there Kevin, still a few minutes to go before we get started! Ha ha.

Made a brief start this morning. Firstly, assembling all the missiles:

IMG_3087-1.jpg

Then moving on and assembling the cockpit. The Tomcat F.1 has a new MFD on the lower right of the pilots instrument panel and an updated missile control system for the AMRAAM:

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

The tub is the same as the F-14D:

IMG_3088-1.jpg

The F.1's were fitted with a HUD repeater on top of the RIO's coaming, one of the additions BAE made to the jet:

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

That's all for now.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

A bit more done this afternoon. Built up the forward fuselage first:

IMG_3103.jpg

Along with the HUD repeater, the Tomcat F.1's were fitted with a GPS system, fitted to the front left of the Pilots coaming:

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Possibly the biggest change to the basic D model Tomcat was the installation of a 27mm Mauser cannon in place of the 20mm M61 Vulcan. Grumman only had to modify the magazine and feed system in order to install the Mauser:

IMG_3106.jpg

The muzzle was pinched from a Tornado kit. Note also the NACA vents have been attached, with their customary poor fit. I then moved on and constructed the main fuselage. The new communications suite that was installed required a new set of antennae to the upper fuselage. Behind it, part of the new countermeasures system was fitted:

IMG_3102.jpg

A new RWR was also installed on each of the tail fins:

IMG_3100.jpg

Next up is to tidy up the main fuselage and attach tail fins, engines etc.

More to come.

Dave

A bit more done. Firstly, assembled the engines and attached the shrouds. To bring the latter up to GE-110 spec, one must fill and sand all the panel lines on the kit part as these are only representative of the F-14A's TF-30 engines:

IMG_3199.jpg

Front and rear fuselage attached and engines installed:

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

Next up is to tidy up all the filler, add the AIM-54 missile pallets and a few bits and pieces.

More to come.

Dave

Glad I'm not the only one who needed a load of filler in that kit! Good to see it coming together.

Every one of my Hasegawa 'cats needs a tonne of filler, just the nature of the kit! But i wouldn't change it for a thing! I've come to love the old Hasegawa kit, despite the problems it has. Think i've got the build of them close to a T :lol:

Dave

Only a little bot done today. Added rear missile pallets first;

IMG_3219.jpg

Added the chin pod. Part of the new communications system required a new antennae, which was fitted beside the chin pod. This antennae allowed the F-14 and it's powerful AN/APG-71 radar to communicate with other jets while tracking targets. It also allowed the F-14 to act as a 'lead' and direct other, less potent aircraft, to launch their missiles under the F-14's guidance.

IMG_3220.jpg

The remaining blisters of the new defensive system are located just fore of the main landing gear bays:

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

The other parts I ordered arrived today:

IMG_3223.jpg

Upper fuselage is just about complete. Filler needs tidied up and that's that.

IMG_3218.jpg

More to come.

Dave

A bit more progress today. The majority of the filler has been sanded and smoothed:

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

Added the forward Phoenix pallets. They aren't a great fit:

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

Just need to tidy up the filler around the pallets and she's ready for primer.

More to come.

Dave