Easy 3 sets - Lifecolor Acrylic paint sets

Mike

Easy 3 paint Sets
Lifcolor Acrylics

facebook.jpg

Lifecolor's release schedule seems rather busy of late, and the latest sets our of the gate are these four handy "Easy 3" sets that contain three bottle of paint suitable for their intended subjects. They are acrylic based, dilute and clean up with water, although their thinners is a much better solution which also helps them spray better. For more information on their use, visit one of the "Buy it Now" links where you'll find some tips on correct mixing and clean-up.

Debris 1 & 2
Two sets of paints that help you with your diorama painting. It's not always easy to think what colours various parts of your diorama would be, and this set helps in that respect with descriptive colour names.

boxtop-debris.jpg

Set 1Worn Brick (UA737), Deposited Dust (UA738), Broken Plaster (UA739)

bin.jpg

Set 2 Old Tile (UA740), Stone Wall (UA741), Lime Mortar (UA742)

bin.jpg

Leaking & Stains
This 2 paint set covers the deposits often found on or around machinery and engines.

boxtop-stains.jpg

Exhaust Oil Effect (UA261), Dirty Grease Effect (UA262), Grease Effect (UA263)

bin.jpg

RAF Battle of Britain
A threesome of British early war camo colours in one handy box. The Dark Earth looks like a green when you pull it from the box, but a good shaking brings up the brown pigment, so don't be alarmed!

boxtop-bob.jpg

Dark Earth (UA537), Dark Green (UA538), Sky (UA539)

bin.jpg

IDF Army
Three shades of green for Israeli Defence Force uniforms.

idfuniforms.jpg

UA 437 Dark IDF Green, UA438 Medium IDF Green, UA439 Light IDF Green

bin.jpg

War on the Road
Three base shades for different types of roads.

roads.jpg

UA473 Dirt Road, UA744 Middle Eastern Asphalt, UA745 European Asphalt

bin.jpg

Leaking & Stains - Grime Effects
Three shades of goo.

grime.jpg

UA746 Lime Green, UA747 Dirty Green, UA748 Dirty Green

bin.jpg

Leaking & Stains - Damp Effects
Three satin-gloss colours for dampness and mould.

damp.jpg

UA749 Vegetable Origin Damp Green, UA750 Vegetable Origin Damp Yellow, UA751 Dark Mould

bin.jpg

Conclusion
Great sets that will broaden your paint palette nicely. I wish there were more instructions on how to use the paints however, as the Leaking & Stains set especially leaves me scratching my head a little. Clearly you're meant to dilute them to apply by brush (as splashes), or spray them to get the desired effect, but a little assistance wouldn't go amiss, even if it were just a link to a website that has some "how to" articles.

The RAF set should give RAF modellers a nice handy pack for their BoB era kits as well as sparking a lively debate over the correct shade of the elusive and oft disputed RAF Sky, and the Debris & Rubble has some masterfully blended colours. I've seen broken plaster, and lime mortar on my travels, and they have captured the colours just right, with a subtle hint of pink to them.

Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of: logo.jpg

Just ordered myself some of these.

I have NO experience whatsoever of Lifecolor paints, but thought it doesn't hurt to try.

Can I just ask what's best to thin them for airbrushing?

I know they do their own thinners, but will they mix with Vallejo thinner, TamX20A, Water?

I have found the best way to thin Lifecolor paint is to use their own thinner. I great tip I got was to top up a new jar of Lifecolor with their own thinner and that is all you need to do; that mix can be used for airbrushing or with the hairy stick straight from the jar.

I have had some success with Windex, but not as good as the Lifecolor thinner.

Most complaints you hear about Lifecolor paints being hard to spray - and you may hear a few - is in reality down to not using their thinner.

I rather like Lifecolour - have always needed thinning for airbrushing IMHO and I've simply used tap water and a little flow enhancer with no probs at all - over a primer of course! :)

Iain

Do NOT mix LC with Tamiya or Gunze -- you get a chemical reaction, and a useless thick goop is created (which I'm guessing would not do an airbrush any good at all ...).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...