Operation Corporate Carrier Battlegroup 1/350

I was just about to question the position of your deck identifier letter (the H) - but after checking a few phots from 82 I see you are dead right. What a weird place to paint it; almost all RN carriers had it right aft.

Looking seriously good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

Not much progress, I've been distracting myself with a few Fleet Air Arm subjects and learning how to photoetch brass for masts and aerials, I'm planning to come back to Hermes once I've finished my big AW101 Merlin conversion.

Andrew

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I start by working out where the ship I'm modelling is, which Ocean, Coastal or at see, calm or storm etc. as that changes the colour and wavelength of the waves - e.g North Atlantic is a green tone, pacific much bluer, arctic or south Atlantic almost black. The further out or deeper seas have a very long swell under any surface waves, close in will see smaller choppy water.

I then make the edges to the base from thick plasticard with the shape of the swell cut into the top edge and bulk the base up with expanded polystyrene sheet. I try to build the sea scape when I have the hulls built but not detailed and wrap them in cling film to keep clean.

The basic sea surface is built up in layers- a starting with the underlying swell from papier-mâché mâché that you can buy in blocks from hobbycraft or craft stores, once dry I start looking at photos of the real ship to build the bow waves and wake, on this one I also needed to capture the interaction between the waves between the ships. I also use the back of an old spoon to simple the surface to get the effect of smaller surface waves

Next I switch to artists medium by Windsor and Newton again from hobbycraft stippled on with a brush to get a more detailed surface effect.

Next the surface was primed - black in this case. I use artists oils for the final colour - go a bit darker than you think in most cases unless very near the coast. Then white blended a bit with the base colour, but not much. Finally when dry some pure white to represent the foam. I use a combo of brushes and torn sponge at this stage.

Lastly gloss varnish to build up a high sheen. There are plenty of other techniques, a good place to look are the naval modelling sites - model warships.com or steelnavy.net, both chave galleries ans a couple of tutorials.

Andrew

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Time to dust this one off...

Since the last photos, I've been working to finish the Starboard side. The ship is so large - 67cm long, that I've built a cradle to scew the model to it while I work on each side in turn.

Hermes-S1_zps58462bef.png

Apart from the obvious paintwork, I've added details to the catwalks and scratched the landing craft and other boats.

Hermes-S3_zps8abe0503.png

I've tried to capture the famously rusty look of the real thing towards the end of the campaign...

Hermes-S2_zps6901b7f7.png

At the moment, I'm not completly happy with the liferaft racks, I' need to decide whether to re-work or live with them as they are. Depending on the decision, I'm ready to move onto the portside, and stern.

The crane and seacat launcher/director will be added later with all the other moving parts.

A

Edited by andrewa
  • Like 6

Stunning work I have really enjoyed and continue to enjoy watching it all come together BZ Sir.

Happy Modeling

John

This is stunning - love the rust but (what I assume is) the flaking anti-fouling on the waterline - wow.

The picture with the aircraft on the previous page is great as well. Looking forward to more updates!

Will

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for another progress report,

In what feels like a massive step forward, I've finished the hull - apart from a few whip aerials, the crane and sea cat gear that'll be added last minute.

R12-18_zps5568dcc1.png

A few close ups;

R12-15_zpsf4f4c529.png

R12-16_zpsdd240181.png

R12-17_zpsf635526b.png

I'd already painted the flight deck, but I've now added weathering, mid-campaign the photos of the real thing show the flight deck was very stained with markings being barely visible in many places, so I've been quite heavy handed, especially on the landing and parking spots.

R12-13_zpsd71775d4.png

R12-12_zpsf40b060a.png

The in-progress island is visibe in some of the photos, it's surprisingly complex for it's size.

Finally, a couple of shots of the ships at sea.

R12-10_zps35091c3e.png

R12-11_zpse5b34792.png

Andrew

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

the problem with a good set of plans in that they give you all the details...and then you spend a month replicating them. I've just about finished the island now, the stack and two masts are not fixed in place to make the painting and masking possible and I still need to sort out various radar, satellite and signalling kit - all of which will be going on after painting. And I must thank Peter Hall for some really useful etched brass accessory sets which sorted out all the yards on the mainmast. I've left a ruler in shot to give an indication of size. Painting comes next...

photo-4_zps1d15c5b3.png

photo-1_zps3fb0c6a6.png

photo-2_zpsd8c2df4c.png

• Like 5