Group Build Chat

A plan is useful... can I borrow yours then?

*needs plan desperately* :P

Mine came to me when I ran into a low-hanging support while we cleaned the detritus of the last ninety years out of our "new" basement [and I mean that figure literally; my wife found a papercut silhouette from the 1920s in an ancient cupboard]. So my recommendation is to run into something at full speed, and then find out what's on sale.

Whoo - look at me getting into Whiffery! I have another planned build in addition to the A319 which will be dependant upon sourcing some FAA decals the (EDSG/White era)...I will have a sniff around the 2nd hand decal stalls at Yeovilton.

Will reveal all if I can find some

Is it too late to join this group build? Got an idea for a WW1 bomber whif. Thinking along the lines of three engines and a lattice tail. Got a set of old broken 0/400 wings and engines while the rest would be new parts or scratch. Is that permissible?

Regards, Steve

Is it too late to join this group build? Got an idea for a WW1 bomber whif. Thinking along the lines of three engines and a lattice tail. Got a set of old broken 0/400 wings and engines while the rest would be new parts or scratch. Is that permissible?

Regards, Steve

In you come Steve, the more the merrier, your plan sounds a good one as well so I'm sure we're all keen to see what you have in mind.

Well my idea (still under wraps although I think at least one member had a decent stab at it) relies on getting a 144th scale lancaster - the cheap minicraft one - but it suddenly seems out of stock everywhere. Ho Hum, will continue looking and thinking of suitable alternative whifs from my stash (TSR2 in Saudi markings perhaps??).

Well I've been looking at what I have on the go at the moment and as long as I can finish the airliner for the airliner GB and my latest publication build keeps going on schedule I think I might be able to join in with the simplest of my three ideas. I spent about four hours last night researching for the back story, which I'm really happy with.

I'll start a build thread just as soon as I can be sure I will have the time to start and finish in the GB time frames.

Hanging on to my initial idea (Hellenic Air Force Typhoon, a few minor mods to distinguish it from early-block aircraft).

Will probably adopt my usual strategy of panicking for a couple of months then starting the thing at 11.55 pm on 30th December...

• Like 1

Hi guys i cant remember if i said to put me down for this or if it was what if 1 that i failed at so miserably at the start of the year.

well i have more time on my hands now again and i really would LOVE to join this and try a few of my mad ideas i had that never saw fruit from whiff1

not sure what to do yet but off the top of my head here are a few.

1. vulcan B3,

2. Lancaster in anti flash white with a blue steel attached (yes its late!)

3. nimrod as a v bomber.

4.vulcan in desert storm colours like a tornado with a shark mouth and black radome (i think it would suit as vulcan was not only like a big fighter but also the tornado replaced it and some pilots felt it was wrongfully retired two early and could have made a contribution in the gulf war 1 as it could apparently carry 14 or 12 lazer guided bombs in the bombay and two under each wing that could have been targeted by buccs i reckon this would have been awsome. and perhaps an excuse to open the bomb doors up and have her getting tooled up for war.)

5. make something random from all the loose parts i have from many kits. who knows what it would look like or what it would be called

6. raf tomcat

and the list could go on forever thats were the fun is i suppose the dreaming and making them come true. i love whiffs

excellent i will do so then. yes now its morning im thinking more about the lancaster. i guess had the valiant been late and the vulcan and victor not thought up so early as they was a flash white lancaster may have happened. (i have no idea if that could had practically worked out or the science of it)

If i can get a an old lancaster kit dirt cheap i may have ago maybe trouble is i love lancasters and ive not had chance to build one since i was a kid i would find it hard to not build one in its normal condition.

however i guess to make it nuclear i would remove all the gun turrets flush them over with milliput. fill in the majority of the windows on the cockpit leaving about as many as a valiant or vulcan.

fill in all the windows on the sides and then modify the bombay with a blues steel i have many blue steel bays and missiles from all the vulcans ive made only one of my 16 vulcans is blue steel fitted.

Im starting to like the idea of a blue steel lancaster and i really like the idea of a blue steel nimrod also

Well chaps, I'm not yet quite ready to make any promises, but I do have a couple of What-ifs that have been bugging me, and I desperately need something I can blow out the cobwebs in my building "skill" (err, substitute "techniques") with.

It so happens I recently adopted a Testors 1/48 Bearcat, and am trying not to allow it to get too full of itself. So I thought it would be a good test-run for the Trumpeter 32nd I dream of doing, in "Pacific '46" Fleet Air Arm markings. I'd love to do it a la camo'd Hellcat, but I'm having trouble rationalizing this paint remaining when the Bearcat F.Ia (cannon armed) came into service, so I may compromise and go with glossy sea blue- which would also make life a lot easier! (I know, it's MY What if, but I try to maintain plausibility...)

The other one that just won't get out of my head goes like this: What if the US Navy was quite thrilled with their new monoplane fighter, the F2A? Not willing to relinquish any, when Finland came a-calling they offered some no-longer desired F3F-2s...

You may now attempt to shame me into following through- but be forewarned, others have tried and failed (so far)!

bob

Update: I've thrown my hat into the ring (not sure why anyone wants the hat, but at least I got it in the ring!)- look for my "F-20B" thread if you so desire.

Edited by gingerbob

Hi all, I know I'm a bit late joining in the fun but seeing as everyone seems to be building aircraft can I join in with a target??

Have been looking forward to hacking up 3 kits that I have acquired for next to no money purely with this idea in mind, just have to see if the modelling skills and artistic ability can do it justice.

Cheers

Graham

Hanging on to my initial idea (Hellenic Air Force Typhoon, a few minor mods to distinguish it from early-block aircraft)...

Please do join with this one if you can as I for one feel it's not only a perfectly plausible idea but would also like to see one heavily weathered in the same way all other Hellenic AF machines are!

I have my kit ready, the weekend free, Crabbies in the fridge and am writing the back story. LEDs and resistors in the post and then I'm good to go.

Can't wait!

LEDs and resistors!?! Can't wait for the weekend to find out what you have planned :coolio:

Really enjoying some of the builds in this GB. Just a shame I don't have the time to join in having to try and finish a big Flanker before the 109GB starts.

However, as the saying goes "here's one I prepared earlier"

http://www.britmodel...08536&hl=whiffy

Pity you are unable to join in as I'm sure a cracking idea would have been forthcoming Steve. Good to see that one for potential inspiration again.

...now its morning im thinking more about the lancaster...however i guess to make it nuclear i would remove all the gun turrets flush them over with milliput. fill in the majority of the windows on the cockpit leaving about as many as a valiant or vulcan.

fill in all the windows on the sides and then modify the bombay with a blue steel...

Very much enjoy the way you are going with this one Rob so hope you can find a suitable kit in time to go ahead with it :thumbsup:

...I recently adopted a Testors 1/48 Bearcat, and am trying not to allow it to get too full of itself. So I thought it would be a good test-run for the Trumpeter 32nd I dream of doing, in "Pacific '46" Fleet Air Arm markings. I'd love to do it a la camo'd Hellcat, but I'm having trouble rationalizing this paint remaining when the Bearcat F.Ia (cannon armed) came into service, so I may compromise and go with glossy sea blue- which would also make life a lot easier! (I know, it's MY What if, but I try to maintain plausibility...)

The other one that just won't get out of my head goes like this: What if the US Navy was quite thrilled with their new monoplane fighter, the F2A? Not willing to relinquish any, when Finland came a-calling they offered some no-longer desired F3F-2s...

bob

The BPF Bearcat sounds great in GSB as I've always liked the F4-U Corsair in that scheme and it takes no stretch of the imagination to think of them being employed for a delayed invasion of Japan.

Hi all, I know I'm a bit late joining in the fun but seeing as everyone seems to be building aircraft can I join in with a target??

Have been looking forward to hacking up 3 kits that I have acquired for next to no money purely with this idea in mind, just have to see if the modelling skills and artistic ability can do it justice.

Cheers

Graham

Please do Graham as, while the threads are full of great ideas, a non-aviation project will be a welcome change. All the more so if it features parts from three different kits!