Republic F-84 E Thunderjet Academy, 1:72

dr_gn

Thanks very much everyone.

Johnny Akes - I left the Alclad overnight in an airing cupboard before masking. I used Tamiya tape and had no problems with lifting at all. The Alclad was initially applied over Alclad primer, but I ended up sanding down after a bit of a disaster and repainting over a bit of a hotch potch of a surface. It still stuck without any problem though. Very forgiving stuff all in all. It does seem to wear off on raised detail quite quickly though, so be careful with handling if you leave the finish uncoated.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd try to make a bit of a diorama for this model: got the Eduard PSP diorama base (£2.99):

TtLmIJLu.jpg

and scratchbuilt a ladder out of plastic card, brass wire and scrap photoetch:

Xxfn1aMH.jpg

Then added the Academy Jeep & ammo boxes plus some wheel chocks made out of matchsticks:

A8Rwqna3.jpg

Could do with a pilot figure really. Maybe there will be a good one at Telford.

• 10 months later...

You sent me here from another thread and im gonna find this very useful... For a start i have a bottle of "Jet Exhaust" and from the colour of the bottle you'd never guess what colour it comes out when dry !! :D

Oh and VERY VERY nice work... Inspirational ! :D

You sent me here from another thread and im gonna find this very useful... For a start i have a bottle of "Jet Exhaust" and from the colour of the bottle you'd never guess what colour it comes out when dry !! :D

Oh and VERY VERY nice work... Inspirational ! :D

No problem - I was pleased how this one turned out. I think maybe part of the 'secret' of Alclad is to make sure it's applied 'wet' rather than dry, ie sprayed too far from the surface. You might be able to see a slight speckled effect on the Gladiator, which may have been casued by the spray drying before contact with the surface.

COOOOOOL!!! A lovely finish, nice base to.

You said you had probs with the decals, bugger, I am building the same kit at the mo. But notice when I went to put the the instrument panel decal on but it was thick. So I left it off and hand painted mine.

I just hope mine comes out 1/110th as good as your`s.

:goodjob::wow:

COOOOOOL!!! A lovely finish, nice base to.

You said you had probs with the decals, bugger, I am building the same kit at the mo. But notice when I went to put the the instrument panel decal on but it was thick. So I left it off and hand painted mine.

I just hope mine comes out 1/110th as good as your`s.

:goodjob::wow:

Thanks!

Yeah, beware the decals - they manage to be both thick and fragile. Heat and Microsol help...but not much.

No problem - I was pleased how this one turned out. I think maybe part of the 'secret' of Alclad is to make sure it's applied 'wet' rather than dry, ie sprayed too far from the surface. You might be able to see a slight speckled effect on the Gladiator, which may have been casued by the spray drying before contact with the surface.

Noted !! :) Ive just started experimenting on an old kit before i hit the real thing :)

Thanks!

Yeah, beware the decals - they manage to be both thick and fragile. Heat and Microsol help...but not much.

I have got Sir Alex Ferguson for hot air heat and JD for comfort!!!

I just looked online at the big H, and will order up some A/M decals .

1, it will probably be safer.

2. it will be different markings.

Cheers for the heads up though DR gn