Matchbox Stranraer

woody37

I've finally got round to finishing this, a bit of a self KUTA. It was started last year but in an attempt to get the top wing to sit on all the struts, I kinda melted it by being over zelous with a hair dryer so it went on the shelf of doom until this year. I picked up another kit and went about the top wing differently to avoid making a same mistake twice, something which I'm quite adept at !!!

Anyway, apart from the engines which are CMK resin ones, the kit is OOB. This was my first attempt at using Alclad2 (polished aluminium over grey primer) which is great stuff, but I ran out before spraying was complete so it got finished off with some white aluminium and steel mixed together. As the plan was to do some weathering, I wasn't too wooried about variations. The last few weeks were incredibly boring doing all the rigging out of that elastic stuff, but after running out of expletives, it's finally done....well almost, a wire popped off on one of the floats so it needs redoing !

I always strugle taking pics of silver models, so I apologise for the lack of detail definition, I didn't want to use the flash.

Hope you like her. Just ordered an Italeri Sunderland to go with her at some point :)

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

• Like 5

Hello Woody, great finish to that Stranraer. I am 7 days into the Revell re-issue, with a Matchbox one as a back up just in case! I am going to do a silver one, never having done a big plane in silver yet, but only Humbrol aerosol paint as I do not have an airbrush. You have given me great inspiration with your model. I have also just ordered some EZ-Line to try out so can you give me a couple of bits of advice?

a:- what trick did you use for your second top wing fitting and

b:- how did you go about fixing the rigging - did you just put a spot of CA and put the line in that or drill holes like I do for fishing line?

The last time I built a Stranraer was in the early 80's, and it remains one of my favourite planes.

Thanks for posting your results,

kind regards, Ray

Hello Woody, great finish to that Stranraer. I am 7 days into the Revell re-issue, with a Matchbox one as a back up just in case! I am going to do a silver one, never having done a big plane in silver yet, but only Humbrol aerosol paint as I do not have an airbrush. You have given me great inspiration with your model. I have also just ordered some EZ-Line to try out so can you give me a couple of bits of advice?

a:- what trick did you use for your second top wing fitting and

b:- how did you go about fixing the rigging - did you just put a spot of CA and put the line in that or drill holes like I do for fishing line?

The last time I built a Stranraer was in the early 80's, and it remains one of my favourite planes.

Thanks for posting your results,

kind regards, Ray

Thanks guys, although I'm glad the rigging is over !

Hi Ray,

I built the centre section first with the centre struts and held it in position with masking tape and allowed to dry. The outer wings were then made up and their struts added before fitting the outer sections to the centre wing. This allowed for manipulation to get everything alined. It was then all held in place with more masking tape to dry. In the end I couldn't get one of the rear outer wing struts to hold the wing trailing edge down, so I cheated by making the strut slightly longer with one off the spare kit !!!

I found that with the rigging, one ende of each one was glued with CA (the lower end as that was on show more). Once dried, it was cut to a suitable length and the other end was held in place on the wing with a small piece of masking tape with the end of the elastic protruding out. This was then 'dotted' with CA and moved to the correct position. Fiddly, lots of swear words, but got there in the end !

Definitley one of my favourite Matchbox kits too :) Good luck with your build, humbrol should be fine, I used this as an experiment with using Alclad.

Cheers

Neil