This is the Williams Brothers kit of the sleek Northrop Gamma craft of the early 1930's. Several versions of this plane were done for various customers and it's done here generally as Frank Hawk's Gamma 2A Texaco "Sky Chief" with the three-blade Hamilton-Standard prop but my model also has the ailerons and extended nose/cowl of Lincoln Ellsworth's "Polar Star" Gamma 2B version. Your guess is as good as mine why I did it this way ! Luckily, Gamma's are good-looking craft and can handle my "upgrades" ! :blink::lol:

The Texaco "Sky Chief" could approach 250 mph and had a range of about 2,500 miles .... which was quite good for 1932. The "Sky Chief" was wrecked in 1936, but the "Polar Star" Antarctic explorer still exists and is displayed at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

6998151414_bcb395deea_o.jpg

Photo Series 3-12-11-II 009mod4XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

7144236933_aa4ddb43b7_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-6-11-II 003mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

7144237089_33ee692540_o.jpg

Photo Series 3-12-11-II 013mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

7144237327_9008da049c_o.jpg

Photo Series 5-4-12 001mod6XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

Mike

• Like 1

Great model of one of the few Williams kits I havent built.Love the settings too.Well done

Paul the newly married

Many thanks everyone .... your kindness is much appreciated !

Mike, you really do pull out all the stops with your posts and the subjects are unique!

Your settings are always imaginative and compliment the model in every aspect!

Brian.

LOL, thanks, Brian ! But I wish I had models to take snaps of that were even a fraction of the workmanship, detail and finish of your air fleet and nearly everyone else I have seen here.

Fantastic model and awesome photography! I'm very inspired.

How did you make that spinning propeller so realistic?

Regards

Why thank you very much !

In the first picture with the spinning prop .... it really is spinning, thanks to a brief puff from an off-camera can of compressed air during a short time exposure. In the other shots with a whirling propeller, the look is due to playing around in photo-shop to get the effect.

Lovely job Mike. A very interesting and charismatic design, almost a piece of aviation art deco. Great backgrounds too, particularly the first shot.

Thanks, General ! You know, that's a very apt description of Northrop planes from this era like the Gamma, Alpha and Delta ...... they are quite an aeronautical embodiment of the Art Deco look. I would expect a craft like this Gamma would make a fine formation alongside Flash Gordon's and Dr. Zarkov's equally art deco-ish silver rocketship !

Mike

Agree with all above Mike, never ceased to be amazed as to how you think up the manner in which to pose the model. Have I missed the Valiant or is that wip? Have given up on modelling for a while.

John

Agree with all above Mike, never ceased to be amazed as to how you think up the manner in which to pose the model. Have I missed the Valiant or is that wip? Have given up on modelling for a while.

John

Hi John and thanks !

Taking a break from a situation for a while is a good way to re-charge the batteries ! I've done that in all the things that interest me and then come back refreshed. Since it's not a race the main real consideration is to enjoy oneself and the process !

The Valiant bomber is generally structurally complete and now comes prep and sanding, airbrushing and then some final detailing ! I am considering some ideas on how to photograph this V-bomber and hope to obtain some additional background material from seat 10F at 35,000 feet coming this Saturday and a week or so later on a return flight.

Here's a snap of the Valiant awaiting details, prep and painting :

photoseries10112001mod2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello Mike,

Thanks for that update, no doubt that will be another masterpiece. Take care leaning out of seat 10F, hope the other passengers don't object to you opening the window!!! BTW where is the trip taking you?

Best wishes and have a safe one,

John

Superb as ever Mike - that's an iconic piece of design by Northrop

Thanks, Andy. Yes, Jack N. certainly was a great talent in regards to aeronautical design and both style and innovation were hallmarks of many of his creations. The reported story of him being taken to a secret hanger in his wheelchair as a very old man to see the highly-classified full-scale mockup of the forthcoming B-2 Stealth bomber is an incredibly touching one, if true. His tearful remark upon seeing the awesome craft was reportedly, "Now I know why God has keep me alive for this long".

I have always thought the wingspan of the YB-49 (172 feet) and the B-2 Spirit (172 feet) was a case of remarkable and powerful symbolism !

Hello Mike,

Thanks for that update, no doubt that will be another masterpiece. Take care leaning out of seat 10F, hope the other passengers don't object to you opening the window!!! BTW where is the trip taking you?

Best wishes and have a safe one,

John

LOL, I will keep my seatbelt on, for sure, John and I'll only open the window a bit to get some snaps !

The flight will soar over the western U.S. before alighting at Lindberg Field San Diego. Then, a trip to the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area before a return to the Chicago area. I will perhaps ask the pilot to detour over Area 51/Groom Dry Lake so I can get some interesting and needed background shots for a particular craft I am also building at the same time as my Valiant !

Mike

Area 51 no such place!!!

Ooops, that's right, John ! Oh well, perhaps the pilot would agree to just wander around a bit over southern Nevada so I can observe the desert scenery and see what's not there at all. :lol:

What a beautiful bird, Mike. Wonderful job.

Q

Thank you, Diego. Northrop designs from this era are certainly attractive machines.

Mike