Rhodesian Air force in 1/48 scale

Here are some pics of my collection on 1/48 scale Rhodesian Air force aircraft & helicopters.

PB271017.jpg

No 1 Sqn hunter FGA.9 (based at Thornhill AFB, Gwelo)

PB271018.jpg

No 2 Sqn Vampire T.11 (Based at Thornhill AFB, Gwelo - note underwing rockets mounted below air intakes)

PB271021.jpg

No 2 Sqn Vampire FB.9 (Based at Thornhill AFB, Gwelo)

PB271022.jpg

PB271023.jpg

No 3 Sqn C-47 (Based at New Sarum AFB, Salisbury - done as with aerial photography camera in doorway and base to represent Grand Reef FAF 8) - decals were home made.

PB271025.jpg

No 4 Sqn Reims-Cessna 337FTB [Lynx] (based at Thornhill AFB, Gwelo) - weaponry [Mini golf bombs, SNEB pods with polystyrene noses, 0.303 brownings in the pods obve the wing were home made. Also the various mods to change an 0-2 Skymaster into a Cessna 337 such as angled wing tips, fences on the upper wing, curved where the tails meet the tailboom (top & bottom), anti strela exhaust modifications, bulged window on left side front, landing lights moved from wing to nose.

PB271026.jpg

No 5 Sqn Canberra B.2 (based at New sarum AFB, Salisbury) - still busy making the ramps as used when bombing up the Canberra.

PB271029.jpg

No 6 Sqn SIAI Marchetti SF-260C [Genet] (based at Thornhill AFB, Gwelo)

PB291032.jpg

No 7 Sqn Alouette III 'K' car & 'G' car (based at various FAFs and New Sarum AFB, Salisbury) - both the cannon and machine guns were after market white metal, the Elephant ear intake filters are scratch built, as is the anti strela engine and exhaust shrouds. The interior of each helicopter has been modified to the RhAF variation. Antennas scratch built. Steps by rear door on 'G' car scratch built and so are the ammo and link/cartridge catching boxes.

PB291033.jpg

'K' Car - Alouette III with MG151-20 cannon mounted out of left side rear doorway. No trooping capability.

PB291034.jpg

'G' car - Alouette III with twin 0,303 Brownings out of left rear door, also carries 4 - 5 troopers.

PB291031.jpg

PB291039.jpg

No 8 Sqn Agusta Bell AB.205A [Cheetah] (based at New Sarum AFB, Salisbury as well as various FAF's) - exhaust shroud and air intake file covers scratch built, various antennas made and fitted.

Edited by vulcanxm603
  • Like 4

Some fascinating types there from a rarely studied air force. Commonwealth SIG?

Unfortunately I do to belong to any SIG's. The interest comes from living in Gwelo, Rhodesia and aviation is one of my hobbies. These models (along with my Southern Rhodesian AF 1/48 models) are now on loan and displayed at the Rhodesian Forces Collection, the RAFA club, Bedford, UK.

Fantastic lineup. I especially like the Cessna Lynx, the mods are spot-on and she looks great in camouflage!

Well done mate...

Very interesting indeed, and well done for assembling such a wide variety of types. I too have a personal interest in the Rhodesian Air Force, though I was never there (strongly tempted to go and help out though, back in the late '60s & early '70s, wish I'd taken the plunge...) and I'd like to build some similar 1/48 RhAF types. One disincentive is the remarkably drab colour schemes! These were very practical, but not terribly appealing now to the modeller, especially since there were often virtually no insignia. I particularly like your Lynx - I have a couple of O-2A kits, intended as USAF Vietnam FAC types, but sometimes think of adapting one of them as a Lynx... Also like your Alouette K-Cars and G-cars.

I have a number of RhAF aircraft photos, though there are disappointingly few sources of really good quality photographs - the Rhodesians had other things on their mind than documenting their Air Force, of course.

An excellent book I managed to find is "Winds Of Destruction" by PJH Petter-Bowyer, very good account of this man's career in the RhAF, lots of photos (poor-ish repro quality...) and fascinating accounts of all those special aircraft mods they did, locally made spare parts, the creative air-ground munitions they invented, and so on. Recommended to anyone wishing to build RhAF models.

Tony

.I have a number of RhAF aircraft photos, though there are disappointingly few sources of really good quality photographs - the Rhodesians had other things on their mind than documenting their Air Force, of course.
An excellent book I managed to find is "Winds Of Destruction" by PJH Petter-Bowyer, very good account of this man's career in the RhAF, lots of photos (poor-ish repro quality...) and fascinating accounts of all those special aircraft mods they did, locally made spare parts, the creative air-ground munitions they invented, and so on. Recommended to anyone wishing to build RhAF models.
Tony

I have a lot of photos of the RhAF aircraft as well as access to the photos in the RhAF section of the Rhodesian forces Collection, as well as a fair collection of DVD's on the Rhodesian Forces (one DVD on the RhAF only with three films)

Book wise the following are very useful:
Air Force 81- no author
War in the Air (Rhodesian Air Force 1935-1980) - Dudley Cowderoy & Roy C Nesbit
Canberra in Southern African Service - Michael Hamence & Winston Brent
A brief history of the Rhodesian air force 1947 - 1980 - Winston Brent
A Pride Of Eagles, the definitive history of the RhAF 1920-1980 - Beryl Salt
Counter strike from the sky - J.R.T. Wood

I also managed to obtain a PDF document from Riems-Cessna, France on the Riems-Cessna 337FTB as supplied to the RhAF complete with drawings of some of the modifications. Have it on another hard drive, so will have to relocate it Edited by vulcanxm603

I have a lot of photos of the RhAF aircraft as well as access to the photos in the RhAF section of the Rhodesian forces Collection, as well as a fair collection of DVD's on the Rhodesian Forces (one DVD on the RhAF only with three films)

Book wise the following are very useful:

Air Force 81- no author

War in the Air (Rhodesian Air Force 1935-1980) - Dudley Cowderoy & Roy C Nesbit

Canberra in Southern African Service - Michael Hamence & Winston Brent

A breif history of the Rhodesian air force 1947 - 1980 - Winston Brent

A Pride Of Eagles, the definitive history of the RhAF 1920-1980 - Beryl Salt

Counter strike from the sky - J.R.T. Wood

I also managed to obtain a PDF document from Riems-Cessna, France on the Riems-Cessna 337FTB as supplied to the RhAF complete with drawings of some of the modifications. Have it on another hard drive, so will have to relocate it

I'm impressed by your Rhodesia library! I've never tried hard enough to accumulate one, in part because these books tend to be expensive - though I could kick myself for failing to buy one (might have been a Cowderoy) on sale s/h at the Army Air Corps Museum for £4 a few years ago! There's a copy of the Beryl Salt book currently on Ebay, rather too expensive for my taste though. You did well to get those documents from Rheims-Cessna - my Petter-Bowyer book includes an account of the subterfuge necessary to get those planes out of France and fly them down the West Coast of Africa, a great story.

If you could ever be persuaded to share any of this stuff I'd be first in line...

Tony