Intruders and Prowlers and Growlers 17 Nov. An update at last!

Long overdue for an update, I blame the delay entirely on AMS and a miscalculation on the part of the manufacturer of the custom built intake/duct sets.( whomever that might be :whistle: ). As installation began on the first Intruder, when the duct was matched to the intake I noticed the well for the boarding ladder appeared to be very shallow. Investigation revealed that I had not moved the interior of the duct far enough inboard to allow for the boarding ladder well. Drat! :badmood:

I needed open ladders (another long story with which I won't bore you) so with no other recourse I modified the masters, made new molds and recast the intakes. The increased depth of the outside wall can be seen here comparing a first and second casting.

DSC01136.jpg

The back of the well for the boarding ladder is also the outside of the duct. The duct casting's walls were too thick so a motor tool was used to thin the wall to a more appropriate thickness.

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

Clean up and painting of the intake/duct/fan units then proceeded fairly quickly at that point and finally as seen here a sufficient number of sets are ready for installation!

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

As I only discovered my error after the initial production run, I now a few extra intakes suitable for closed ladder display!

DSC01137.jpg

Turning to the EA-18s, inspection of the kit parts quickly dashed any hopes that these supplied ducts and fan sections were acceptable. The ducts taper too fast leading to miniscule fans and are much too short. An online search for pictures also revealed the prominent vent seen on the outside of the intake did not have a gaping opening on the inside of the intake but appeared to terminate in a perforated strip on the inside wall. Some work was going to be required here. Now there's something different for one of my projects. :wall:

How to address this new challenge? Unable to find aftermarket intake specific to the Italeri Super Hornet, I ordered 3 sets of Two Mikes intakes designed for the Hasegawa kit to use as a starting point. It was only after I submitted the order that I read the notice on the website (It was hidden in large,bold, red type at the top of the first page) that Two Mikes was going to be unable to fill orders until February. As the work on the intakes needed to be completed early in the construction sequence, I needed the parts asap! I placed a call to Mike and pleaded my case to the answering machine. 30 minutes later I received a text message from Mike! Explaining the build as being part of a presentation to VAQ-209 and I needed the intakes to continue with the build Mike graciously offered to ship my order by that Friday! A big Thank You to Two Mikes and a plug for excellent service!

:clap:

Beautifully cast, the intakes were designed for the Hasegawa kits and therefore needed to be converted for use in the Italeri. The inboard section of the kit duct was cut at the point that matched the dimensions of the Two Mikes part. Careful trimming and fitting yielded a fairly good fit the the forward portions of the kit intakes.

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01087.jpg

Styrene sheet was used to form the inboard and outboard wall and shims.

DSC01097.jpg

The intakes were epoxied into place earlier today and are curing as I write.

The Italeri kits although capturing the shape and outline well, were based on the prototype EA-18G and have a number of features that differ from the production versions. First are a number and style of vents on the underside of the fuselage. These were filled and modified with styrene to better represent the later configuration.

DSC01118.jpg

After

DSC01131.jpg

Simple process, just repeat three times!

DSC01133.jpg

Next will be the ECS vents and the rest of the changes to the later configuration.

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

And to think I get confused when I have one project in the final stages of letting clear coats and weathering dry and another just starting!!

With a bit of a soft spot in my heart for the Prowler myself, I'm watching with interest!

A bit more progress to report as well as the discovery of yet more work to be done. The Revell EA-6A kit is based on the their A-6 molds, understandable as the EA-6A airframe is based on the Intruder. The Revell kit has included the external armor seen on the engine bays of the Intruders which in my research I noted are not always present on the EA-6A. The pictures I found of VAQ-209 aircraft did not appear to have the armor. Hoping to avoid additional work I called TM (whom you may recall was the instigator of this saga) who confirmed that he never saw the armor on the EA-6As.

My initial idea was to simply grind off the armor but found the wall was joggled behind the armor section, probably to avoid shrinkage issues. I then resorted to cutting the armor panel out, using a styrene sheet as a backer to stabilize the area and forming a filler panel from more styrene matching the thickness of the kit wall.

DSC01185.jpg

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

This was repeated for the three EA-6As in the build.

DSC01190.jpg

The raised panel lines were removed and appropriate panels scribed. A tape template was used as a guide for the access panels on the nose to help keep consistency.

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

I find scribing to be somewhat time consuming but fortunately I have a pleasant place to work which allows me to be with the family.

DSC01178.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

The Italieri EA-18s have not been ignored, a few pieces of styrene strip were used to better represent the unique intakes on the lower aft engine bays.

DSC01195.jpg

My modifications to fit the ducts into the Italieri kits needed a bit of filler and shaping to match the intakes. Although a bit tedious, the results are satisfactory. A few minor tweaks and they should be ready for final paint.

DSC01196.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to reassure faithful followers that I haven't gone completely bonkers (yet ) and progress continues on the production line.  Work has shifted to the Growlers as the production manager has, well burned out on the big Grummans  :frantic:
  As previously noted, the Italeri kits capture the shape of the EA-18G well but were based on the prototype EA-18G and have a number of details that differ from the production versions.
The ECS vents need to be change to the later types.  Fortunately the later boxing includes a small sprue containing the later ECS vents and fairings.  Unfortunately I had 2 of the earlier kits and 1 of the later, so a mold was made and copies cast.
The early vents were removed with a motor tool and file,s and a styrene plug shaped and glued into place. 
DSC01222.jpg

DSC01253.jpg

The late ECS vents are located forward of the early so the new location was opened up and a sheet of styrene attached to the inside to act a 'floor' to shim the replacement vents to match the surface of the fuselage
Here one of the kit and a casting ECS vent are test fitted to the new location
DSC01254.jpg

The scribing for the engine access bays are not correct for the Growler so they were filled and rescribed.  A template was used to help keep the scribing consistent on the three models.
DSC01199.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

The intakes have been filled and are ready for paint, I hope to have that done by next update as well as the first installation of the intakes on the Intruders and Prowlers.

Just time for a quick update to let y'all know the project is still moving forward.

The EA-18 intakes are finally finished. The Two Mikes intakes are beautifully molded, but as I was using them in a kit they were not designed for I needed to do a bit of trimming and filling. Now that the work is finished I can get the fuselage halves assembled.

Intake1-1.jpg

The fan faces will be barely visible!

Untitled.jpg

Repeat 3 times!

DSC01265.jpg

Like the vents and engine access bays on the bottom of the fuselage, a few corrections are needed on the top to correctly represent the production Growlers. Most of these have been documented in the previous update, the last task is to install the poorly fitting speed brakes. Because of the complex contours I decided not to try and make new ones, but to fill and rescribe. Here the poor fit can be seen before filling.

DSC01270.jpg

The vents on the sides of the intakes contain internal vanes, these were built up from thin styrene and installed.

DSC01257.jpg

They add a nice bit of interest compared the the empty vent.

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is becoming an indispensible reference, almost as much as a thread with pictures of the real things would be!!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is becoming an indispensible reference, almost as much as a thread with pictures of the real things would be!!

I think one can do much better than follow my meager efforts, but I thank you very much for the compliment! :blush:

As I prepare this update, it occurs to me I do not have a lot to show. I do however have some progress to report. Finishing the work needed to adapt the excellent Two Mikes intakes (designed for the Hasegawa kit) into the Italeri kit allowed me to add the engine faces and close up the fuselage.

The rework of the inside of the intake ducts required the forward fuselage to be custom fit. A thin styrene shim and a bit of filling did the trick nicely. The result looks fairly good.

DSC01280_zps76ebcc33.jpg

DSC01283_zps98627bc6.jpg

DSC01290_zps389b6eea.jpg

Its nice to see the engine faces line up with the nozzles, verification that the ducts are at least close to being aligned properly!
DSC01284_zpsf85e4b1c.jpg

Simply repeat three times!
DSC01291_zps23a422db.jpg

The fit along the sides was a bit disappointing and needed a bit of filler and sanding. This of course means more scribing to replace the lost detail.
DSC01289_zps6a020b2b.jpg

Speaking of scribing, the ill-fit of the speed brakes were fixed with styrene strips and filler then rescribed. Panel lines lost on the top of the aft fuselage caused by relocating the ECS vents were also re-scribed. It appeared these details were originally raised while the rest of the kit contained recessed.
DSC01286_zpsacbfc941.jpg

On the Grumman side of the factory floor, the removal of the armor from the engine access doors on the Intruders is complete. A bit of scribing yet to do (will it ever end?!?) and long the awaited installation of the custom intakes and ducts can begin.

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update, still focusing on the Super Hornets. Vanes have been added to the interior of the upper fuselage boundary layer control vents.

DSC01303_zps7dbdbe84.jpg

The EA-18G is not equipped with an internal gun, and therefore does not have the gas vents. The Italeri kit based on the F version, vents molded into on the bottom of the nose and even though they are rather indistinct, they needed filling. Small rectangles of styrene were cut to fit and with a bit of filler and file work, were soon eradicated.

DSC01313_zpsb65d4719.jpg

As regular followers may recall, one of the EA-18 kits I obtained was a later release that included a small sprue containing late ECS vents, and a number of lumps and bumps unique to the G version. The bulge on the spine did not, to my eyes, capture the true shape. Since I needed three of them, a bit of styrene and file work soon produced a reasonable representation.
DSC01301_zpse75e2a5b.jpg

DSC01312_zpsda471b8e.jpg

DSC01315_zps48b960d7.jpg

An aluminum tube was installed in the fuselage in the proper location to accept matching tubes that will be added to the tail control surfaces. These will simply plug into the socket at the end of construction.
DSC01320_zps92fa6d83.jpg

DSC01321_zpsb6f7f7e4.jpg

To fit the beautiful Aires cockpits (designed for the Hasegawa kit) to the Italeri required some very careful thinning of the cockpit tubs themselves as well as the cockpit side walls.
DSC01297_zps76910578.jpg

Strip styrene was used to form the sill that also served as a stop to assist in installing the tub.

DSC01296_zps7eddf10e.jpg

DSC01317_zpsa46ef16a.jpg

DSC01323_zps9aca04a8.jpg

DSC01327_zps8e4adf74.jpg

Because of the construction sequence, the cockpit tubes needed to be epoxied into place to allow the lower forward fuselage to be installed, which needs to be in place before the LEX bottoms can be glued in, which will allow the shoulder slots to be placed, finally allowing attaching the wings!

DSC01326_zps7e3d1bf8.jpg

I’ll have news on the Prowler/Intruder progress for the next update.
Thanks for your interest, Eric aka The Yankymodeler

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I promised an update on the Intruders/Prowlers, but as the Growlers began to show progress it gave me a much needed boost of encouragement so I continued through the attaching of the wings.

At this point the challenging fit of the kit became apparent. The sequence began with the installation of the lower forward fuselage. The well for the boarding ladder was boxed in prior to adding the bottom of the LEX surfaces. In order to have a consistent gap between the bottom of the LEX and the intakes, a bit of shimming was needed.

DSC01388_zps1c89ba80.jpg

DSC01337_zps7dec5bc0.jpg

After the lower LEX surface was in place, the block forming the unique shoulder slot was next. The outer point suffered damage during earlier construction and was repaired with styrene strip. The block was trimmed and shimmed into position focused on getting a consistent slot. The slot was fine tuned with styrene strips and judicious file and sandpaper work.

DSC01372_zps28162a50.jpg

DSC01374_zpsc4f83705.jpg

DSC01378_zpsc18a0f48.jpg

DSC01383_zpsdd47c796.jpg

DSC01384_zps8158c533.jpg

The lower surfaces of the wings are molded integral with the fuselage, locking in the anhedral. Unfortunately the angle is correct for a Harrier and not a Super Hornet! Taking a deep breath, the use of hot water, firm finger pressure carefully applied, and lots of checking with references got the anhedral sorted out with no damage to the existing structure.

When parked, the bleed down of hydraulic pressure invariably causes the flaps and leading edges on the Super Bug to droop. This of course means yet more modifications. The flaps, ailerons and gap flaps were cut off and set aside. The leading edges were drooped by cutting a slot on the bottom side with a razor saw and bending the section down into the resulting gap.

DSC01381_zpsbe1cdec4.jpg

DSC01381_zpsbe1cdec4.jpg

The upper surface of the wings were attached. The EA-18G leading edge has a small fillet at the juncture of inner and outer sections. This was fabricated with styrene, glued into place and shaped with files.

DSC01385_zpse884532c.jpg

Much filling and sanding ensued, and more scribing to bring the basic airframe to the point where a coat of primer could be applied.

DSC01395_zps1419c158.jpg

DSC01404_zpsfeb56e57.jpg

DSC01398_zps2cc345cb.jpg

DSC01400_zps3abca9f5.jpg

That's all for now, I think I've now grown a bit tired of the Growlers and the next update will show progress on the Intruders/Prowlers. You can trust me, I work for the government!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

An update at last! For hearty souls still interested and those Star Warrior squadron members following this build, some progress to report. The fuselages have been scribed, and the halves joined. The locating tab on the stabilators was removed and a hinge tube installed in the fuselage. During this process I discovered a small mismatch in location of the stabilators in the kit moldings, the left side being mounted higher than the right. The slots were filled with styrene and the tube installed at the correct location.

DSC01494_zps1074b0f5.jpg

As these models would be displayed together, and I wanted there to be a definite relationship between the types so I took the opportunity while rescribing to match the common panels with the Kinetic Prowlers. Noting they agreed reasonably well with references. I dutifully copied the panel line locations of the Kinetic kits. A template was made to copy the two panels on the aft fuselage just in front of the stabilators, only to discover (after completing the scribing of course) an error in the Kinetic kits. Contrary to the moldings, the right side of the fuselage should have a single access panel, with two on the left! More filling and rescribing followed.

DSC01421_zpsd01c2ba6.jpg

DSC01424_zps6d3f0b6c.jpg

DSC01426_zpsdccff7ae.jpg

I have a measure of success to report. The Intruder intakes and ducts have been installed! The massive intakes are a defining characteristic of the Intruder, and he shallow ducts and undersized fans of the kits (and many of the aftermarket replacements) did not capture the powerful look of the Intruder. A not insubstantial amount of time and effort has been expanded in producing a more accurate set of intakes, ducts and fans to capture this look. The kit required quite a bit of modification to prepare for the intakes, a motor tool being used to remove enough plastic to allow the installation of ducts. The Revell kit was designed for the left ladder to be displayed open, as I wanted both ladders open and wanted them consistent, I removed the somewhat crudely molded steps as well as opening up the right intake steps.

DSC01437_zps4dfc2357.jpg

DSC01487_zpsbdc9f71f.jpg

DSC01486_zpsf09e5316.jpg

DSC01488_zpscb538c9f.jpg

DSC01458_zps529daf19.jpg

After the intakes had been installed, the ducting was epoxied into place being careful to obtain the proper position for the fan sections.

DSC01430_zpse32226fa.jpg

A contour gage was then used to help fabricate the aft ladder well bulkhead. A bit of clean up and then on to installing the cockpits.

DSC01498_zps1e91223e.jpg

DSC01499_zps2b10f2bf.jpg

Not a lot of room in the nose, components need to be properly sized and carefully placed.

DSC01492_zpsbf4d24cb.jpg

DSC01504_zpsdbc0b2b7.jpg

DSC01495_zps23e10adf.jpg

Thanks for the interest, Eric aka The Yankymodeler

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 3