Intruders and Prowlers and Growlers 17 Nov. An update at last!

I'm definitely very impressed with what you're doing as well. I know that there are always periods of barren motivation working on so many at once can't make it any easier!

I've just been catching up and the clear acetate scribing templates idea is very clever. I'll be using that one myself from now on. Thanks for the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again more time than I intended between updates, though I did manage to get a trip to the Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio in this past weekend!

Turning next to fabricating the flap and aileron hinges, inspection of reference pictures revealed my initial impression that the hinges where simply graduated sizes of a tapered triangle was far from accurate. Each hinge was unique in size and details, and there even seemed to be slight changes made between blocks of the production run! :banghead:

Dimensions were obtained from reference pictures by measuring ratios of the wing and flap cords in relation to the hinge length and scaling them to the kit dimensions. The bulbous inner aileron hinge (housing the actuator) from the kit was modified for use.

Three strips of styrene were cut to size, their width matching the length of the inner, outer flap, and outer aileron hinge, thickness matching the needed hinge thickness. The strips were tapered across the width with file and sandpaper.

DSC02186_zpsee27aeb6.jpg

A razor saw (donated years ago by my good friend SW) was used to cut wedges.

DSC02188_zps9432d352.jpg

Notches were cut, styrene shapes used to fabricate the characteristics unique for each hinge.

DSC02189_zpsd26bdc14.jpg

The final result looks pretty good.

DSC02193_zpsd8e064cb.jpg

DSC02203_zps343be342.jpg

As usual, repeat three times!

DSC02202_zps0f4fc342.jpg

The kit tailhooks were crude moldings, so various files were used to carve hookpoint details. I of course forgot to take a picture of the before, but the after is a reasonable facsimile.

DSC02200_zpsd2991d6f.jpg

DSC02229_zps50dd40e5.jpg

The airframes were given a coat of primer to check the added details. A few rough areas will need attention but overall are satisfactory.

DSC02217_zpsd74d1732.jpg

DSC02216_zps20a65ba9.jpg

Aires ECU vents prepared for installation.

DSC02224_zps7560573b.jpg

Instrument panels and rear deck details were test fitted before beginning cockpit painting.

DSC02222_zps738d8ef6.jpg

Thats all for now, thanks for your interest!

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

• Like 1

Great skill and attention to detail! Doing things for one model is one thing doing them repeatedly for a whole squadron is another matter - great stuff!

Might have got here late but am now following with interest

Thanks guys! I'll have an update posted a bit later this weekend. I have been working on Intruder cockpit details. Unlike the Prowlers and Super Bugs, these are scratchbuilt as I was unable to locate AM.

A bit of progress on the Intruders to report. Work now turns toward the cockpits.
The cockpit of the Intruder/Prowler has a very ‘busy’ look, with many systems in view through the large canopy. Systems within the rear deck and under the canopy are the first that come to mind and there have been a number of impressive builds featuring details in this area. The Intruder pilot’s seat is located on the left side of the cockpit, slightly higher and forward. A number of systems are located behind the seat including control linkages and bellcrank housings that allow the linkages to pass through the pressurization bulkhead, and oxygen system. There is not much reference to this part of the cockpit so I was fortunate that my project sponsor, TM, had turned wrenches on both the Prowlers and Intruder and retained enough details in his memories to fill in the blanks left by research.
Although I was able to locate aftermarket cockpits for the Prowlers and Growlers in the form of the superlative Aires resin sets, I was unable to find a comparative replacement for the Intruders. With no alternative I had to resort to one of my weakest skills and attempt to scratchbuild the needed details. I simplified the area behind the pilots seat down to the bellcrank housings, control rods for the elevators, ailerons and control input inertial feel unit along with the cockpit side bellcrank arms, gaseous oxygen generator and accumulator.
DSC02262_zpsc9190622.jpg

DSC02263_zps54db90f3.jpg

Drilling holes to represent the shield over the oxygen generator. An exercise in patience!
DSC02239_zps0a36188f.jpg

DSC02264_zps672b0672.jpg

This is sufficient to convincingly ‘fill up’ the space behind the pilot seat. Care was taken to be sure the seat, instrument panel and glare shield remained in proper relationship to each other.
DSC02265_zps43d60e6e.jpg

As usual, simply repeat six times!
DSC02250_zpsf7289f64.jpg

For those who have been following this project, you may have noted an 'extra' cockpit in the group pic. I have added one more model to the production line, this is destined to become a KA-6D. :banghead:
Thank you for your interest!
Eric aka The Yankymodeler

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Painting begins of the cockpits of the Growlers, the base coat detailed with washes and highlights. Fine work is yet to be done after this paint dries for a few days.

DSC02388_zpsedb0d96f.jpg

DSC02387_zps3bb34437.jpg

As usual, simply repeat 3 times.

DSC02390_zps69316f10.jpg

The inboard forward corner of the previously removed flaps and ailerons was built up with styrene blocks and the leading edge shaped by files and sanding block.

DSC02311_zps917f6c91.jpg

Work continues on the cockpits of the Intruders, styrene rod and tube was used to fabricate the details. A bit of extra time was spent on the prominent canopy actuator. There is still much to do here!

DSC02365_zps9916b73c.jpg

DSC02370_zps4ef786db.jpg

When searching for a template to fabricate the small bulkhead just behind the cockpit, as luck would have it, I found the proper curve on an old inspection plate from my Acrosport! Note the authentic zinc-chromate primer color. :pilot:

DSC02367_zps20eb364f.jpg

Oh yes.....a KA-6D is joining the production line!

DSC02371_zpsa6b307ae.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report, I've been fabricating a number of small parts for area behind the cockpits of the Intruders, and in the final stages of another build here on BM. As you may remember I need to get the basic cockpit tubs for the Prowlers painted and assembled before I can assemble the fuselage halves.

The Aires resin cockpits have had most of the painting completed and are almost ready to be installed. A few more details,the photo-etched panels need to be attached, and the display screens need to be finished yet. Here's a few pics.

DSC02406_zps3a4ef0fd.jpg

DSC02407_zps3f391f53.jpg

I hope to have more to show soon, thanks for the interest!

• Like 7

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind comments! My intent is to take these to the IPMS U. S. Nationals in Hampton next year. I need to step up the progress if I'm to get these completed in time!