General Dynamics YF-16 (Academy 1/72)

rav

I built this model a few years ago, but it needed some corrections. This is how it was looking about month ago:

555.jpg

The fin base had wrong shape - it was clearly visible when the base was painted blue. The nose was canted up a little - my mistake. The prototype was standing in the back of my display cabinet. Finally I decided to correct the fin. I bent it a few times until it fell off, cut the base from the upper part and added some plastic between them to get correct angles. Then I realized that the new shape is almost the same as fin of the production F-16A/B. I found a statement in the net to support this. Luckily I had F16A/B fin spared from Revell F-16C... So I put my corrected fin away and simply used the production fin - Revell did it better than me. I painted it with some part of the fuselage. Decals came from another YF-16 kit (the rest is enough to portrait the second prototype - stay tuned).

Correction of the nose was more risky - I had no spare decals to replace them if damaged. But I could not stop half way, so I cut off the snub nose and corrected the angle. Decals were not damaged during sanding of the scar and repainting the nose. Now my YF-16 is looking much better:

1920.jpg

1922.jpg

1924.jpg

1926.jpg

1927.jpg

1929.jpg

1932.jpg

1935.jpg

1937.jpg

• Like 9

I always hated that scheme when it first came out (mid 70s) but now that I haven't seen it in years, I kinda like it! Maybe it's because I've grown tired of modern jets that are grey on grey on grey. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Anyway, nice job! I can't see any indication of the nose job, and that's quite a feat without repainting the whole aircraft or ruining some decals.

Cheers,

Bill

I had read that the YF16 was a few per cent smaller than the production version. Did this mean all over or just some dimensions? If the former then the replacement fin would have been too big.

I built the Hasegawa version a couple of years ago. anybody know if this was the right size?

John

Hasegawa and Academy kits are the same and they are significantly smaller than Revell F-16A/B/C. I found some informations that FSD and production fuselage was 26 inches longer than YF-16 (16 inches in the nose and 10 inches behind the cockpit), wings and stabilators were redesigned (enlarged, two hardpoints added), but the fin was one of the few main unchanged parts. After I corrected Academy fin base, I got almost the same shape as Revell fin - just surface was not that good and that was why I abandoned Academy fin and took the Revell one (I just had to remove antennas from the rear end of the base and top of the fin).

I am currently building the Hasegawa YF-16 with aftermarket resin intake, exhaust and wheel wells intended for the Hasegawa F-16A/B. They fit remarkably well. There is a build thread somewhere on BritModeller.

Nils

Hello Vingtor,

Yes, I saw your Impressive build. The result is way better than mine. BTW, I'd like to ask you, what photos did you use as background for you decals of YF-16 #2 in two-tone grey camouflage? I'm working on it now, having yours and Tamiya's painting schemes and 5 photos:

1. In-flight from below, with 2 MERs and 12 MK.82 bombs (BW photo)
  2. In-flight from left side, with 2 empty MERs (BW)
  3. Parked from right/front, with 2 Mk.84 bombs, 6 Mavericks and 1 fuel tank (color)
  4. Parked from right/front, with 2 fuel tanks, 6 Mavericks and ECM pod (BW)
  5. Parked from the left side, with 2 Mk.84 bombs, 2 empty TERs and ECM pod (color)

My model will be in configuration 4. Do you have any other photos from two-tone-grey era?

Is it correct to use decals of white/blue camouflage scheme?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I have a large number of books and magazine articles on the F-16, but after I got the decals printed they were all put back in the book shelves and magazine cases. It would take some time to find this again (and my working space is now occupied with other stuff). I can however say that the best reference book on the YF-16, including the two-tone grey camouflage is the Aero series book #26 by William Holder and William Siuru. This book was published before the FSD aircraft flew and contains YF stuff only.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is it correct to use decals of white/blue camouflage scheme?" The decal sheet contain decals for both the grey/grey and white/blue schemes. Most of these decals are the same.

Nils

I have a large number of books and magazine articles on the F-16, but after I got the decals printed they were all put back in the book shelves and magazine cases. It would take some time to find this again

I understand the problem... I started to create a database of by books and magazines to find information about selected aircraft. But it will take much time to catalogue them all. Meanwhile,I'm trying to find as much as possible manually and having some sources at hand I'm working on many models of the selected type.- currently 4 F-16s.

the best reference book on the YF-16, including the two-tone grey camouflage is the Aero series book #26 by William Holder and William Siuru. This book was published before the FSD aircraft flew and contains YF stuff only.

I'm sorry, I don't have this book. Could you check just the one and say if there are more useful photos of the grey YF-16?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is it correct to use decals of white/blue camouflage scheme?" The decal sheet contain decals for both the grey/grey and white/blue schemes. Most of these decals are the same.

I promise to buy your decals if I will work on a YF-16 or F-16 FSD in the future. In the current build I'm using Academy decals. The kit contains two schemes: the one shown above and white/blue camouflaged one. It seems to me that markings on white/blue and grey/grey variant were the same, but if I have the opportunity to ask an expert, I do.

I always hated that scheme when it first came out (mid 70s) but now that I haven't seen it in years, I kinda like it! Maybe it's because I've grown tired of modern jets that are grey on grey on grey. Or maybe I'm just getting old...

Cheers,

Bill

I second that!

Lovely Electric Jet.

• 7 years later...