Revell 1/32 Spitfire MK22/24

Metallicus

Evening Chaps

I getting ready to get started on this bird and to be honest I'm quite excited for this build. It will be my second Spitfire and my first in 1/32. Now I know that this is not the greatest kit out there but for £15 I get a 1/32 Spitfire :winkgrin: , I cant really complain too much about that now can I!! :thumbsup:

Well as WW2 birds are not really my forte I am going to need some help with details and SIMPLE corrections and maybe some scratch work. I have been having a hard time turning anything up on Google and would appreciate it if anyone could help me with photo's etc

Here is the kit

527608_286717588109780_1646622758_n.jpg

Cheers

Brenden

You doing this one handed boet? That's dedication for you :coolio:

Looking forward to it !!

Cheers boet, ja my shoulder is feeling a lot better and I have quite a bit of movement in it now... no surgery required just got to let the ACL's heal naturally now and lots of physio, I should be back on the pitch in 6 weeks.

Look it's a Spifire!.

I iwll keep a eye above your shoulder, this looks interssting.

Thanks Cookiemonster

It's the old Matchbox beast, so maybe if you search that you may come across something?

Here's a thread, an article, another thread, and still another thread. Mostly it seems that the cowling and spinner are the wrong shape and what detail is there is quite chunky.

Thanks Jessica, Yip it Revell's reboxing of the old Matchbox kit which to be fair for such an old kit the detail is not too bad, the overall the general shape is pretty accurate from what I've read. I reckon I can live with the cowling and spinner shape BUT I am wanting to drop and detail the flaps plus detail the cockpit and gear wells as they are basically blank...

Thanks for the links, I've been following LSPKev's build over on LSP and Ive got quite a few tips from him. It just been really hard finding good pics of the above mentioned area's...

Thanks again

Cheers

Brenden

Evening All

After some more furious Googleling during my "free" time at work I found some reference's so I can start some work.

I've decided to attack the wings first and have started with the gear wells. As mention early the well's are completely blank and need some sprucing up.

I started with the upper wing surface and glued the gun mounts in place and marked out where I will be boxing in the wells and marked out where the flap areas meet. I started cutting styrene strips to shape and test fitted but then notice that Ive had to remove the kit moulded well walls so that my bay would fit. After a lot of cutting,trimming and sanding I have managed to get a good fit.

Let me know what you guys think, especially if it is wrong!!

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Brenden

375819_287121301402742_1845416083_n.jpg

398503_287121484736057_1280086732_n.jpg

47936_287121324736073_1383625648_n.jpg

Evening Gents

Got some more work done the port wing wheel well and managed to shoot some primer to see how it looks, not bad but could use a clean up. Its not perfect or 100% accurate but it is one hell of an improvement over the standard kit well.

561817_289716531143219_2096179118_n.jpg

561523_289716561143216_186394200_n.jpg

554349_289716614476544_1531541663_n.jpg

251243_289716647809874_1895112339_n.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments/help welcome

Cheers

Brenden

You have probably come across this information already, and you're clearly a better modeller than me so are better able to deal with any issues, but I have found that the separate wing roots were terrible to fit. I glued them to the wings first and then fitted the whole thing to the fuselage, which might not be the best way of doing it.

Oh, you're really in for a treat! I built this kit OOB a few years ago and it actually builds up quite nicely as a late Spit. But the trenches.. Sorry, I mean panel lines.. I don't think I've ever used as much putty before or since! I'm enjoying your build so far! Best of luck!

I've almost finished building one of these. I have used it just to get a bit of practise in really, and to be honest it has taught me a lot..

I had to use a lot of filler when i attached the wings, but overall it builds into a nice looking Spit i think.

Nick

I remember being beaten by this kit when I was about 12 yrs old.

Managed to build one when it was re-released by Revell. Actually, quite an enjoyable build and a nice kit. I am using another with the Freightdog Seafire conversion.

Good luck with yours, looking forward to seeing more progress. Good start so far.

There was a few post on this on Scale Model forums I followed a while back. After a few people built it I just wanted to have a go myself! I think it'll make a very nice model when done. I hope to pick one up soon.

Good luck!

Rick.

Certainly looks a lot better than the empty hole there before.

Thanks Col

You have probably come across this information already, and you're clearly a better modeller than me so are better able to deal with any issues, but I have found that the separate wing roots were terrible to fit. I glued them to the wings first and then fitted the whole thing to the fuselage, which might not be the best way of doing it.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a play around and see what I can do. :hmmm:

Huge difference. I look forward to more of the same :thumbsup:

Thanks boet!

Oh, you're really in for a treat! I built this kit OOB a few years ago and it actually builds up quite nicely as a late Spit. But the trenches.. Sorry, I mean panel lines.. I don't think I've ever used as much putty before or since! I'm enjoying your build so far! Best of luck!

Yip those trenches are pretty bad, once I've finished with the wheel wells I start puttying the panel line and attempt for the first time to rescribe a kit :wacko::pray:

I've almost finished building one of these. I have used it just to get a bit of practise in really, and to be honest it has taught me a lot..

I had to use a lot of filler when i attached the wings, but overall it builds into a nice looking Spit i think.

Nick

Thanks Nick

Great job. The best way to attack the trenches is to actually sand then down as the plastic is very thick. Here is an example:

http://forum.largesc...opic=35118&st=0

Crobinsonh thanks, I have been using your and LSPKev's build as a guide and I just might have pinched a few things from your builds :bounce::worthy::whistle:

I remember being beaten by this kit when I was about 12 yrs old.

Managed to build one when it was re-released by Revell. Actually, quite an enjoyable build and a nice kit. I am using another with the Freightdog Seafire conversion.

Good luck with yours, looking forward to seeing more progress. Good start so far.

Thank you Triumphfan

Don't drop the flaps!!!!!.

They're pneumatic(i.e air)operated and aren't left down on a parked Spit.

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea that they were pneumatically operated.

Thanks for that photo Tedfellow's I was looking for another angle of the flaps. :thumbsup:

There was a few post on this on Scale Model forums I followed a while back. After a few people built it I just wanted to have a go myself! I think it'll make a very nice model when done. I hope to pick one up soon.

Good luck!

Rick.

Thanks Rick

Thanks for the comments chaps, really appreciate it!!

Cheers

Brenden

Just a thought Brenden, could you use Mr Surfacer 500 to paint into the trenches to reduce them enough? I've just done this on an Academy 1/72 Wildcat to good effect but not sure it'll be enough on 1/32.

Rick.

Edited by Rick Brown

Good to see someone else building this kit! The third link that Jessica posted is indeed my build. I have to confess that I'm struggling to enjoy it, but I'm still chipping away at it. It's definitely not a great kit. It looks like you'll beat me to the finish line by miles Brenden, and I'll be pinching tips off you!

Great work so far.

Kev

spitflap.jpg

That really is a very one off photograph there.

The golden rule with Spits/Seafires is to pull up the flaps as soon as possible after landing

and before taxying because the engine overheats very quickly due to the radiator

outlets being blocked by the flaps.

I'd certainly model them up,it's a far more realistic look with a Spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new to update, but I am looking for some info/pics, can anyone let me know or have pics of a MK22 Spit in flight just before touch down or just after lift off, I am thinking of displaying the aircraft just after takeoff or landing?? :pilot:

Just a thought Brenden, could you use Mr Surfacer 500 to paint into the trenches to reduce them enough? I've just done this on an Academy 1/72 Wildcat to good effect but not sure it'll be enough on 1/32.

Rick.

That is a possibility I never used the stuff before... was going to try TippEx or the usual putty and rescribe.. :weep:

That really is a very one off photograph there.

The golden rule with Spits/Seafires is to pull up the flaps as soon as possible after landing

and before taxying because the engine overheats very quickly due to the radiator

outlets being blocked by the flaps.

I'd certainly model them up,it's a far more realistic look with a Spitfire

Thanks for the info Miggers, I am thinking of displaying the aircraft just before takeoff or landing, how far down would the flaps be??

Nice detailing on the wheel wells Brenden, looking forward to seeing this one come together :)

Cheers, Stu

Thanks Stu

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

Good to see someone else building this kit! The third link that Jessica posted is indeed my build. I have to confess that I'm struggling to enjoy it, but I'm still chipping away at it. It's definitely not a great kit. It looks like you'll beat me to the finish line by miles Brenden, and I'll be pinching tips off you!

Great work so far.

Kev

Thanks Kev your work is always top notch!! How is your build coming along?. I've hit a bit of a stall on the project as well but am going to try and soldier on this week! I've been reinvigorated by my display idea.

Cheers All

Brenden

Thanks Kev your work is always top notch!! How is your build coming along?.

Thanks Brenden. Mine's still stalled, as I need to find the time to scratch-build a new IP and add the fuselage nav lights (and what I think is a camera port). I didn't even know they existed until I pulled out the Airfix 1/48 kit! I'll probably push ahead and finish the Airfix kit before doing much else on its bigger brother, just so I can reclaim that feeling of actually finishing something.

I hope you can make some progress on yours!

Kev