Bristol F2b, No. 2 Sqdn, Ireland (Roden, 1/72)

Old Man

IMG_3739.jpg

This is a Great War type, but not a Great War subject. It is a Bristol F2b of No. 2 Squadron, operating in Ireland during 1920. No. 2 Squadron, with operations in Shanghai in 1927 and in Ireland in 1920-22, has the odd distinction of having been in service in both the nearest and the farthest place that the RAF could be found in the period between the world wars.

IMG_3734.jpg

It is not generally appreciated that 'air control' was tried not just in Near Eastern and Central Asian colonial possessions, but also in the British Isles themselves, during the 'Troubles' in Ireland after the Great War. It was far from full-bore air control, certainly; the Cabinet, and Gen. Trenchard, were worried about untoward incidents, and the paramilitary bands which conducted much of the fighting for England lacked the professionalism and training for effective co-operation with aircraft.

IMG_3732.jpg

The aeroplanes of the RAF in Ireland flew un-armed for most of the period, and provided shows of force aloft over urban areas at certain times, conducted liaison and light transport duties, including the movement of high ranked officers and movement of mail and dispatches to isolated garrisons, and maintained some surveillance of solidly Republican areas. In the spring of 1921, armed flights were authorized, but under such strictly limited conditions that they generally constituted less than five percent of the flying time in any given month. By then the period of armed conflict was nearing it end, in the settlement that produced the Irish Republic.

wtrfrdNr2bristol.jpg

This particular aeroplane, H1490, was built and delivered after the end of the Great War, and served with No. 2 Squadron from its re-establishment at Fermoy early in 1920. It came to grief in November, 1920, at Waterford Town, crashing onto a roof on Barrack Street while delivering mail and dispatches to the garrison there. Flying Officer Briggs was piloting, with Flying Officer McKeechan in the rear seat; despite appearances, their injuries (one received a broken leg, one a broken arm) were not too serious. The aeroplane struck pretty square at the junction of a Mr. Aspell's public house, and the home of a Mrs. McSweeny.

IMG_3746.jpg

The kit fought me pretty hard, and I am not completely happy with the result. I left it lay a long time before doing the final rigging and touchings-up (most of the work here was done this past April), but I figured I really ought to get the thing completed, if only to be shut of it....

IMG_3749.jpg

• Like 15

Thank you for the kind words, Gentlemen: much appreciated. I will do better on my next pass at this kit. I have a number of subjects from the Bristol's career in the twenties I would like to get to.

For those thinking of giving a small-scale biplane a try, I would recommend Eduard's N-17. The kit fits together pretty well (you will need to trim a little on the lower end of the Vee struts, but that is all), looks a gem when done, and has pretty simple rigging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good looking model!

I have myself a 1/48 Roden F2b in the stash, together with Xtracolor's "RFC Green" for the upper side. This colour (at least in the little jug) seems to be far more on the green side than the upper surfaces of your model.

Where there different color schemes or may be rules not so strictly obeyed...?

Ingo

Great Story there, Just got a pressie of these decals from a friend. Fermoy is only 10 miles from where I live, the old Aerodrome hangars where there till just a few years ago, They could of reached there 100th Birthday but thanks to the celtic tiger were torn down and road built into a proposed industrial estate which was never built. A nice heritage centre could of been situated there if there was enough insight.

Never seen the picture before of the Waterford crash so thanks for sharing!!

Cheers

George

I like your Bristol. Really good build.

The history of the crash is also very interesting.

Belle

Edited by Belle

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 2:11 AM, BKirwan said:

Link to newspaper article covering the events  Waterford News 19th November . Scoll down to page 2 

http://snap.waterfordcoco.ie/collections/enewspapers/WNS/1920/WNS-1920-11-19.pdf

That's a great article, Sir. Fascinating stuff. Nice to find out more about the matter. Thank you very much.

• Like 1