Royal Navy Historic Flight Sea Fury T.20 VX281

ChrisL

I was rather taken by the Royal Navy Historic Flight's Sea Fury T.20 when it did a display at the Leuchars Airshow earlier this month. While at the airshow I picked up a PM kit of the T.20. Sadly this comes with decals for two all-over silver paint schemes, not the elegant EDSG/sky and yellow nose scheme that the RNHF's T.20 displays.

Does anyone make decals for this aircraft in 1/72?

Ach well. I may need to start creating a decal stash for this, work out what size the various serials, roundels and codes are and work out who sells them.

VX301 on loan to Ferranti had a overall Oxford Blue with Docker Blaze red engine casing & spinner,with white Royal Navy & serials if you wanted something different.

You'll need:

2 off 36" with yellow outer ring "C" type roundels for the fuselage

2 off 48" "C" type roundels for the upper wings

2 off 36" "C" type roundels for the lower wings

2 off each V,X,2,8 and 1's in black 4" inch(you already have the 4" ROYAL NAVY titling)

for the serials

2 off each V,X,2,8 and 1's in black 18" for the underwing serials

2 off each 1,2,0 in 16" white for the side numbers

2 off each V and L in 12" white for the shore codes.

I can sort you out with the roundels and the black 4" fuselage serials

and the white side numbers but not the underwing serials or shore codes.

The white side numbers won't quite be in the "squarer/stencil"type font that VX281 wears,

but in the more usual rounded style.

if you want that squarer font,you might be better looking at some white U.S

lettering and numbers,they tend to use that type.

Edited by Miggers

Miggers, I've PMed you about your decal offer.

Can anyone who's seen VX281 up close say what colour her wheel wells are? Looking at pictures online the undercarriage bay doors are sky inside and out and the undercarriage itself is white (with one strut in sky), but I can't decide if the wheel wells are sky, aluminium or white.

The wheel bays would most likely be all sky too. Standard for the period. Unless of course there was that well known 'exception to the rule'. But I believe the current airworthy one is so painted

Going by the posts above, VX281's current paint scheme is not period accurate to begin with. Even compared to EDSG/sky FB.11s there's some obvious differences. On VX281 the undercarriage legs are painted white, not aluminium, and the wheel hubs are different. So it doesn't automatically follow that the wheel wells are the "correct" cololur.

That said, some of the pictures I've found online: probably push me towards sky wheel wells. For example, if you look at the original size photo of this one:

7992048744_2c2fd88898.jpg

Hawker Sea Fury by Hippomug, on Flickr

It looks like the wheel wells are a dirtier shade of the sky on the underside, doesn't it?

Edited by ChrisL

• 1 year later...