Which Inkjet decal paper?

Pin

I sell Experts Choice - £2.50 a sheet, either clear or white film.

They also do a clear and white laser versions.

Paul

Watch out if you use this brand because it is shorter than A4 and may miss the bottom of your image off...

Been there, done that, effectively chucked t'money down t'drain.

Watch out if you use this brand because it is shorter than A4 and may miss the bottom of your image off...

I've found this too. I think it's "letter" size (or some other American standard).

I've used Mr Decal Paper a few times for inkjet, always seems to come out OK.

I've been using the Experts Choice paper (both inkjet and laser) from Paul at Little-Cars for about 6 or 7 years and it is very good. You just need to allow for it being Letter size rather than A4 and whilst it is a bit shorter than A4 it's also a bit wider so the area is almost the same.

Steve

I've rarely printed anything where it made a difference but as Viscount806x said you can waste some paper if you're used to printing on A4 due to the size difference from Letter. I always leave a border around the artwork to allow for it to be masked off before spraying Halfords clear over the top. If you don't mask it then the clear coat can soak into the paper and you'll never float the decal off - guess how I know this......

Also if you use the laser paper, DON'T use the Halfords clear as it eats the coating on the paper - guess how I know that as well......

Steve

Been there, done that, effectively chucked t'money down t'drain.

It's an american product so you set the printer to letter size.

Decal film is great for coating decals you make as well as putting over old 'fractured' decals.

Paul

Edited by little-cars

I'd say - don't use Halfords Clear at all, use Microscale Liquid Decal Film. This stuff is designed for purpose and works amazingly well.

MSFILMa.jpg

This stuff is good but...

Don't leave it near Micro Sol / Set ( the blue bottle, can't remember which it is) and by mistake try and use it to seat decals. As the rest have said, "Don't ask how I know this"...

I'd say - don't use Halfords Clear at all, use Microscale Liquid Decal Film. This stuff is designed for purpose and works amazingly well.

MSFILMa.jpg

The Halfords clear laquer works fine on the inkjet paper I used recently and I found that it was more robust when handling over the Microscale stuff.

Just a couple of tips

- try not to touch working surface of paper before printing

- I use "glossy photo paper" printer preset

- once deal is printed allow 10-15 minutes to dry

- cover printed area with microscale decal film. I usually do two layers

And then it is a matter of using it just like a normal decal?

Yes, but one should bear in mind that these decals do not have white background and will be barely visible on dark paint

Do they tend to be thicker or thinner than say a good Tamiya decal or any more delicate?

Usually slightly thicker

Is Micro Sol/Set still ok to use on top as well?

Decal setting liquids work just fine

• 1 month later...

Some very useful tips here. I've done DIY decals but have an immediate requirement for some very narrow (1mm max) white stripes/lines and I wonder if plain white decal (inkjet) paper would do? Just spray some Klear on top, then slice it into strips with a scalpel - ?

Can it be that easy? I've tried looking for ready-made white stripe decals but without success.

Thanks, Tony

Some very useful tips here. I've done DIY decals but have an immediate requirement for some very narrow (1mm max) white stripes/lines and I wonder if plain white decal (inkjet) paper would do? Just spray some Klear on top, then slice it into strips with a scalpel - ?

Can it be that easy? I've tried looking for ready-made white stripe decals but without success.

Thanks, Tony

Hi Tony

Hannants sell a sheet of white decal stripes in different widths for £1.99.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XPS2

Hope that helps.

Yes, I'm practicing this trick regularly. You don't even need to spray anything, what is required - new and very sharp blade and good metal ruler. The thinnest stripe I cut was, I think, about 0.2-0.3 mm - used it to imitate cockpit window frame

Edited by Pin

^ If you weren't going to print on them I wouldn't have thought that it would need sealing. (Nothing to seal? )

Ah, right - I meant to say I've never tried DIY decals, but missed out "never"! I'm very uncertain about the whole thing. Thanks for that - makes life easier.

Tony

Edited by corporate

Hi Tony

Hannants sell a sheet of white decal stripes in different widths for £1.99.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/XPS2

Hope that helps.

Yes it does, sounds just the job if I feel the DIY route is beyond me. Still....

Yes, I'm practicing this trick regularly. You don't even need to spray anything, what is required - new and very sharp blade and good metal ruler. The thinnest stripe I cut was, I think, about 0.2-0.3 mm - used it to imitate cockpit window frame

Thanks for confirming this idea is do-able. Nice to have a variety of options. Sometimes I hammer my brain over some trivial techy problem, then realise all I have to do is ask on BM and some helpful soul will provide the answer. Many thanks, chaps.

Tony