1-16 Bandai Steam Roller

Kallisti

A very nice model and an interesting build!

Another, and quicker drying, option for grease which you may like to try is to tint Kleer or some domestic (1: 1 scale house painting!) interior acrylic varnish (often thicker so works better perhaps). The tints I use are Tamiya transparent paints - smoke, adding some mix of green, orange, yellow, red, blue, etc. Maybe even some actual paint if really thick dirty grease is wanted. Orange + green etc seems good for fresh oil, but a browny blacky gungy mix of everything is great for old oil, I think.

I use it for the recoil slides for double recoil artillery pieces. I put it on thin where the pieces actually contact, and slather it on thicker at the ends where the pieces don't actually slide, to give the tidemarks, if you see what I mean.

Edited by Lothian man

Hmmm some interesting suggestions here, thanks guys. There has been quite a bit of progress the last few days eg all the decals have been applied (it does feel strange to be applying lots of decals long before the end of the build!) and I'll take some photos tonight and make a proper update. Its been a lot of fiddly bit lately and one thing I will say is this is a very badly engineered kit. There are few locating pins or tabs and the location of the ejector pins is very annoying - frequently they are on the visible side of parts while the invisible side is completely clear of them!

Well as promised here is an update!

Some significant progress the last few days... in fact the wheels are on!!!

DSCF6908.JPG

and from the other side:

DSCF6909.JPG

The cab has been detailed:

DSCF6910.JPG

and from another angle:

DSCF6911.JPG

I'm still missing coal from the coal bunker. It comes with a moulded piece with coal in but it looks very unconvincing so I need to visit the railway modelling shop and get some scale coal - although it will be too small scale for this as this is 1:16 so I may need to scratch up some raefr pieces of "coal".

Sadly the weak joint in the crankshaft has broken and there is no way I can see of fixing it as that area is now pretty inaccessible. When I build the Traction Engine I just bought of eBay (I must be a fool!) I'll make sure I replace this joint with a brass tube and fix it more firmly so that the whole mechanism can work robustly. The break does mean the flywheel has a bit of a wobble to it, but since it will now not be moving, I can live with that. I've used a variety of metallic colours, from the glossy gold of the pre-painted parts, to painted gold, two types of silver Tamiya Chrome silver and titanium silver, metallic grey, gunmetal, copper and bronze. I've alos varied the red and black, using matt colours as well as gloss to give a different texture to well used, dirty and polished parts. I did the hairspray technique on the rear break wheel as well as on the footsteps leading up into the cab which were weathered to show the underlying metal and a dirt wash added.

The pipes leading from the water tank to the boiler were originally moulded onto the plastic parts but this looked awful, so that was sanded off and replaced with wire painted gold.

Still a bit more touching up to do and a bit more assembly - the chains for the steering, the whistle and bell and then the roof goes on. At that point I'll do some more weathering of the wheels, soot on the canopy dirt in the appropriate places. Won't be long now!

Edited by Kallisti

Okay I'm going to call this finished now although it still has a couple of things I want to do with it, eg add a better representation of the coal and perhaps dirty it up a bit more.

DSCF6916.JPG

DSCF6917.JPG

DSCF6918.JPG

DSCF6919.JPG

DSCF6920.JPG

DSCF6921.JPG

DSCF6922.JPG

• Like 1

That looks great...makes me want to finish mine off now...I've also got the Traction Engine and the big Dennis Fire Engine to the same scale in my stash.

A couple of things that you could add to bring a touch more realism would be a bucket, there's usually one seen dangling near the water tank...easy enough to scratchbuild in this scale...a shovel for the coal, some oily rags around the cab and finally the ubiquitous enamelled tea mug...with tea naturally.... :)

• 1 year later...

Ace build!!!

A few suggestions.

For the coil of hose, feed some thin wire down inside it, roll it up and lightly 'squeeze' the roll sideways so it makes an oval instead of a circle of hose. Real hose will 'sag' when it's hanging due to the weight.

For the coal - look for a recently gritted road near you. There is always one somewhere.

A small handfull of road grit glued in with PVA, then painted with a generous dollop of coal black paint.
It looks the DB's.

An old trick from garden railway modellers for 'coal' in the tenders, and for loads in wagons.

For buckets, oil cans, mugs, tea caddies, shovels, tools, - you name it - look at garden railway suppliers. They have stacks of such stuff in this scale.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Thanks for the suggestions, been a while since I revisited this build. Just picked up a bucket and spanner from the Welsh Models site which will be useful for this build and also for Bandai Traction engine kit I have in the stash that I'd like to build one of these days soon!