1-16 Bandai Steam Roller

Kallisti

My big purchase at today's IPMS Farnborough ModelFest was this:

DSCF6855.JPG

which I got for what I thought to be a bit of a bargain as the Showman's Engine kit from Bandai goes for about £100 on eBay. Since the bar-armour Scimitar and Stingray my modelling mojo has been in a bit of a slump. I did try to make a start on the Hasegawa FGR2 Phantom, but really couldn't get my heart in it, however this large kit has immediately put a smile on my face so here goes nothing...

Lets start with a sprue shot:

DSCF6856.JPG

Colourful or what? Sadly I think the gold will have to go and get repainted after construction. The white rectangle in the lower left is the canopy and it is definitely a multi-media kit - there is a small bag of metal chains, brass rod and bits, plus a rubber-ish band to make one of the drive belts from. After taking this photo I opened the decal sheet bag and found some other bits under the decal sheet:

DSCF6858.JPG

So this appears to be a silvery stick-on sheet to make the "tyres" of the roller. Well needless to say this is not going to be used! There is also a bit of thread. So this will be a different and unusual build. However its not the first model I've build of a steam vehicle, but it is the first plastic one!

The previous build about 4 years ago was this:

DSCF1968.JPG

Gotta love Meccano :D This was actually motorised and went very slowly and steered like a supertanker!!!

This should be fun! (I hope!)

Edited by Kallisti

Oh, good find! I made a bit of a hash of the showman's engine many years ago when I was just a pup, and I've always wondered what sort of job I'd make of it if I had a go now. I can never find one at a price I'm willing to pay though.

It's such an interesting subject and will look fantastic on display. Best of luck with this build.

cheers,

Paul

Thanks for your interest guys so just for you... An update!

Its been a week of building sub-assemblies, some of which have taken quite a while to get right! First up the front rollers: these came in two semi-cylindrical parts with the internal framework slotted in as you assembled them. The fit was pretty poor and the joints took a LOT of sanding, filling, sanding etc to get smooth. However they are now smooth and with a bit of primer and the first layers for red here we go:

DSCF6865.JPG

DSCF6866.JPG

The second photo is supposed to show the remains of the joint on the inner surface but the camera couldn't pick it up. next, the rear wheels were all one piece with a second set of inner spokes and ring that glued together reasonably well, so no joins needed sanding.

DSCF6864.JPG

At this point I ran out of gloss red paint :) Will be takign a trip to ModelZone in a short while to stock up on Red Green and black! You can see in the photos the raised relief detail on the spokes - this is supposed to be painted yellow, but its been suggested that I use piping decals as used by railway modellers. I'm looking into that as although I could probably paint them well enough, we all know how difficult yellow is to paint over a bright colour like red. It will take multiple coats to get enough colour down and that will introduce so many possibilities for makign mistakes that the decal option sounds sensible!

Next came the forward part of the boiler - the bit in black. As is becoming standard for this kit, the fit was pretty appaling and there are no locator pins or tabs so fitting the two halves together is a case of being very careful! However after some more sanding and filling it looks reasonable:

DSCF6861.JPG

The water box was next and the instructions, believe it or not, suggest putting the decals on BEFORE assembly hahahahahaha Once more fit is a problem,b ut this time its a really tricky job to sand as there are moulded bits everywhere near the joints. Some very careful application of wet and dry was required to get a smoother finish.

next we have the rear part of the boiler in green, which is also supposed to have its decals applied before final assembly! As usual, fit is poor... yadda yadda

DSCF6862.JPG

Finally for this update, beginning assembly of the rear firebox and main body. This comprises two very large moulding which have lovely surface detail but no alignment pins or tabs, so I've added them with some plastic strip. The joins will be bad - the plastic has a slight raised lip at many of the joints which requires considerable sanding to smooth it down, however in most instances on these pieces the joints will not ultimately be visible, except on the rear piece which will just require careful fitting and some sanding BEFORE final glueing.

Edit: helps to add a photo doesn't it! Doh!

DSCF6859.JPG

Edited by Kallisti

As Nickj says lovely kit, wish I had one too. Welcome aboard Nick, where you been hiding.

Colin on the Africa Statiom

I've been a bit busy and let my membership of 'Britmodeller' slip, I'll be a regular visitor again, promise. Now then, I'm going to sit back and watch this build, it may give me the incentive to finish 'Pendle' Princess', a build I started years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Time passes and progress progresses!

yesterday was a bit of a watershed - started adding some of the decals to the various body parts. It somehow feels wrong to be applying decals before the model is finished, but this does seem to be the best way to proceed.

First off the front roller:

DSCF6890.JPG

and from the side:

DSCF6892.JPG

If you look at about 2 o'clock in that last photo you can see my first attempt at applying the yellow lining decal to the spokes. As described before, each of the spokes has a raised line which is supposed to be yellow. I had a go at painting the yellow and it was a complete failure, so it was suggested I use some lining decals as used by railway modellers. I was able to source some 0.5mm linings so had a bash fir the first itme last night. it was not easy, but its doable, if I can be bothered with the hassle!

The outer steel colour is a mix of a new Tamiya colour called Dark Iron with some silver added. I think it looks pretty effective! The decals from the kit went on pretty well - I trimmed the carrier as much as possible and used the usual micro sol/set and they went down pretty well - as will be seen in later photos!

Next is the front boiler:

DSCF6885.JPG

This is relatively simple - painted gloss black over a rough primer coat, which gives a very interesting sheen. So this combines with the front roller to make the first part of the assemblage:

DSCF6886.JPG

Not bad eh? just you wait!

next up are the rear wheels, these too have been painted with the Dark Iron/silver mix and look good.

DSCF6895.JPG

Again, the spokes are supposed to have yellow linings - I think this would best be classed as a work in progress!

Next is the firebox and the rear boiler. This has been masked and painted.

DSCF6889.JPG

The gold bands are spray painted - the kit does suppy stick on "bronze" strips but they look tacky. Red yellow and black stripes are decals. There are more decals to go onto the main body, but I ran out of patience last night :)

Other side:

DSCF6888.JPG

The water tank has also been decaled and will be fitted under the rear boiler and has a cut-out to fit the steering mechanism.

DSCF6893.JPG

DSCF6894.JPG

The moulded on pipes have been sanded off - and from the rear boiler as well and will be replaced with wire to properly represent them.

Also been working on the canopy. The underside was painted brown then thinned black oil paint was used to pick out the wooden texture:

DSCF6898.JPG

Sadly the upper surface suffers from some terrible sink marks:

DSCF6897.JPG

I think I'll have to add some plastic strips and sand them to shape to fill these in - there is way to much to just hole that filler will do the job! And finally the canopy trim has had some work done to it:

DSCF6899.JPG

The two long strips are for the sides. The outer surface is green with a yellow stripe while the inner surface is wood textured so painted the same way as the underside of the canopy. The supporting braces have wood texture as well so these have been highlighted using a dark wash. The two thin end trims visible on the upper right also have raised lines for a yellow strip but these are not included in the decals so I will have to use the railway lining on these as well.

So as you can see, still lots of "bits" and it will pretty much continue that way until right near the end. I've also been working on the pistons and some of the gears and cranks, but they are not ready to display yet. I'm leaving off most of the gold pieces until I decide what to do with them.

That looks challenging, I'm looking forward to the ready for inspection shots. Just an idea for painting the raised yellow detail on the wheel spokes, you could try pad printing with paint. Use a fairly dense foam block, dab it in some paint, wipe most of that off then gently press your foam pad against the spoke detail. Some of the paint will stick. It might take a few applications to get the desired density, but maybe worth a go.

• Like 1

Hmmm I have a dilemma now... I've been doing some research on Garrett Steam Roller or Road Rollers as they are also called and discovered that the model appears to be wrong! This is obviously an adaptation of the Showman's Engine kit as it is depicted with the underslung water tank under the rear part of the boiler, to which the steering gear is attached. However when seeing photos of the real Garrett Road Rollers they do not have this tank!

Steam Roller

DSC_4426.jpg

Showman's Engine:

73199033.jpg

So now I am in a quandary as to whether to include it or not! This model doesn't appear to be of any particular real vehicle, but rather a representation of them as a class. I'm a bit wary of messing with it too much so I may just compromise and build the "model"...

I have one of these part built which I need to get round to finishing.

Regarding the sink marks on the roof, it's worth noting that most of these engines roofs were coated with layers of tarpaulin giving an effect like roofing felt on a shed so you could easily disguise the marks with maybe tissue soaked in PVA.

Also the cylinder around which the steering chain is wound should have a corkscrew-like thread like this....

Steeringworm.jpg

You can improve the polished steel shafts of the piston arms using an appropriate size of round nail....

Kit parts.....

pistons1.jpg

Choose your nails.....

pistons2.jpg

Finished....

pistons3.jpg

The footplate looks good painted up....looking forward to seeing yours....

gauges2.jpg

I don't think I would start messing up the model at this stage to modify that tank, especially as you are not depicting a specific vehicle. Maybe if it would't affect any paint or decaling already done, but probably not. It will make an impressive model anyway.

I understand that the yellow stripes on the wheel spokes will be a pain to paint which ever method chosen, but I also think it will be well worth the effort in the end. The stripe paintings on the machines, be they stationary or mobile, from this era is wonderful and really ads to the impression.

I also have similar thoughts about the roof as jargonking.

I've read from someone who built one of these before the idea of using tissue to cover the roof with a tarpaulin layer and I like that idea and I think I agree - I'll leave the water tank in because to remove it would cause too much disruption. I'd also read about the spiral on the steering mechanism but hadn't thought about using nails!

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

Further progress to report, and its getting good now!

First off the roof - I took the advice and covered it with tarpaulin and it looks much better!!!!

DSCF6906.JPG

DSCF6905.JPG

You can't see the sing marks anymore! Proper job!

In addition, I tried an experiment to get the yellow linings on the wheel spokes. This involved cutting up a rubber into a flat "brush" which I dabbed into thinned yellow paint and then lightly touched to the raised lines. It sort of worked but has given a bit of a ragged line as you can see here:

DSCF6904.JPG

(except of course the bloody flash has caused too much glare and you can't see most of it! sigh)

Then finally there has been some major assembly of the subcomponents so it now looks like this:

DSCF6901.JPG

and there is a great deal of detail in the pistons and crankshaft:

DSCF6902.JPG

In thery the crankshaft and pistons do work but the joints in the crankshaft are really not strong enough to move the various components very much. There is too much flex in the plastic. Funnily enough I had a very similar problem in the Meccano Showman's Engine - because the crankshaft was built up from several components as opposed to being one complete casting, the joints have to sustains a considerable amount of stress and sadly are not strong enough. Never mind, this isn't supposed to be a fully working model!

I've added some wear on the steering wheel and seat, using the hairspray technique of metallic grey undercoat with hairspray over the top and then a top coat of red which was then chipped/worn. Also adding washes and dirt as I go along, although I need to find a good way to represent grease in scale - anyone got any suggestions?

I decided to go with the model and put the water tank on rather than go with the real thing and leave it off. I added a spiral to the steering gear as suggested, made from a strip of solder, CA glued to the cylinder. Don't have a photo of it though...

Next is to work on the various gears and the differential on the left side and then the controls in the cabin... tooot tooot!

I'm enjoying this build immensely Kallisti :popcorn:

I remember being in awe when the kit first came out. Although I've only seen a few built over the years, they've all been turned out beautifully - it's almost as though there's something about the kit that particularly inspires their builders!

Cheers

Cliff

Hi there, bit late now - but having asked my mate who owns a Roller (albeit not a Garrett) it would appear that some did and some didn't have the belly tank. As there is a tank in the tender, it would depend on the size of the county i.e. distance between water stops!

My own personal opinion on this is that Bandai used the same sprues for both this and the Pendleton Princess, and left it on the kit.

On some road locos the steering gear is attached to the belly tank, and as I can't remember the detail of the Bandai instructions,it may well be that it was easier for them to leave the tank on instead of doing a lot of re-jigging!

Looks really good.

This is great. I too remember many years ago building the Bandai Showman's Engine. I have a vague recollection that one could put an electric

motor inside the generator to motorize the engine linkages. Could someone confirm this? Did I dream it?

Moby

There is enough room to put a motor into the boiler if you wished, but I'm glad I didn't as the joints in the crankshaft just wouldn't hold up I believe. You have to assemble the crankshaft from 6 separate pieces and the weakest joint is the pivot of the piston on the crankshaft. The locating pins are just too shallow and don't provide enough strength.

When I built my Meccano Showman's engine, I had a similar problem as the crankshaft was built up of plates and bolts and the metal flexed too much and wouldn't provide enough rigidity. It meant the crankshaft had an erratic centre of rotation which meant there were points where the drive gears didn't mesh with the differential.

You can see in this photo how the Meccano crankshaft was built up:

DSCF1954.JPG

It was the bolts the provide the pivot for the piston that were the problem there as well.

Hmmm, I've just thought that it might be better if I were to replace the plastic pivot with a piece of brass tube attached to the cranks by drilling all the way through then filling and sanding the ends to be flat. This ought to provide a greater level of rigidity... It would mean taking the bloody thing apart again...

Edited by Kallisti