what about a 1/72 Mirage III?

song

Well that's a real let down!!!!!!!!

You start the thread talking about 72nd, mention one a/c but show pictures of another??? Why didn't you clear up the scale before this thread went to 4 pages??

Yup ... I got sucked in also by the title. Sorry "joke" (as Song called it). Sorry because I'd really love to see a new 1/72 Mirage line that doesn't have deep panel lines or grossly exaggerated rivets!!! Maybe Kinetic will come through.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Asks for advice for Mirage III family while posting CAD artwork of a Mirage F-1 and people take him seriously enough to reply.... :rolleyes:

And on the subject of Airfix Mirages, F-1 nice (though nose is too pointy), IIIC junk (but you do get JL-100 fuel tank/rocket launcher combos). :whistle:

PS. Don't even want to imagine what would have happened if he started the same thread on say "Plane-Talking" or "Zone-Five"... :popcorn:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am agree with mate Giorgio N.

It’s a shame that no-one of the most important brands...like “mom” Airfix or RoG or asiatic Tamiya/Hasegawa/Academy/HobbyBoss

have any projects for the next releasing and new tools 1/72 kits, about the charming MIRAGE III C fighter.

Such an historic airplane!

I dislike the last products, all in 1/72 scale, but indeed like short run molds...and very expensive.

I dream to build a nice 1/72 Mirage III C [in israelian colors], for adding it to my stage.

Edited by ianpolinar

I am agree with mate Giorgio N.

Its a shame that no-one of the most important brands...like mom Airfix or RoG or asiatic Tamiya/Hasegawa/Academy/HobbyBoss

have any projects for the next releasing and new tools 1/72 kits, about the charming MIRAGE III C fighter.

Such an historic airplane!

I dislike the last products, all in 1/72 scale, but indeed like short run molds...and very expensive.

I dream to build a nice 1/72 Mirage III C [in israelian colors], for adding it to my stage.

I wish for a Mirage IIIE/5 series, we constantly get the IIIC yet there were more users of the IIIE airframe, therefore many, many more colourful options. The IIIE/5 series have also seen combat.

I'm fed up with us constantly being given the C model and nothing else.

• Like 1

But there's a brand-new tool decent kit of both IIIC/CJ and IIIE/O with IIIR and 5 to follow I hope

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978633-172-dassault-mirage-iiiccjcz-5-cheetah-by-rv-aircraft-released-new-boxing-miiie-exotic/page-2?hl=mirage

Cheers

Michael

But there's a brand-new tool decent kit of both IIIC/CJ and IIIE/O with IIIR and 5 to follow I hope

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978633-172-dassault-mirage-iiiccjcz-5-cheetah-by-rv-aircraft-released-new-boxing-miiie-exotic/page-2?hl=mirage

Cheers

Michael

According to our esteemed colleague Enzo Matrix (in discussing the self same subject in the Mirage GB for 2017 chat post #181 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975223-mirage-groupbuild-for-2017/page-10)

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

"Agreed. We have the PJ Productions kits which are very nice but incredibly expensive. We also have the RV Aircraft kits which are quite nice but been a lot of work.

A III/5 from Special Hobby to the same standard would be superb."

Now Enzo's not afraid of a bit of fettling, filler or filing, others would be. The fact remains that the Mirage III/5 series (particularly the Mirage IIIE), is neglected by the major manufacturers in 1/72nd scale as a modern tooling.

Edited by Wez

What happened to the original resin PJ Mirage series? IIRC they are still the best ones even now. Seemingly very accurate and lovely details throughout, albeit expensive for a 1/72 model! Cannot find them anymore :shrug:

Edited by mirageiv

• 11 months later...

They were withdrawn when the new injection molded kit that PJ developed jointly with HPM (formerly High Planes). The new injection kit was undoubtedly the best IIIE around from most standpoints. It was pretty strongly criticised for it's prominent panel lines. That kit has now been withdrawn. PJ/HPM heard the complaints and retooled the kit. It has just been issued. Got mine from the big H yesterday. IMHO the panel lines are now world class. They bear comparison to anything out there. The definitive IIIE is now at hand, don't think the world will ever need another. Shortening the fuselage behind the cockpit to yield a IIIC should not be too difficult since the kit has a natural breakpoint there, unless PJ/HPM decide to do it for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

The definitive IIIE is now at hand, don't think the world will ever need another.

I don't consider this good kit to be the definitive IIIE. It inherits a some errors of the initial kit and the retail price is too high considering the size and parts count.

Agreed that the price is rather high, I suspect a lot of mold cost for a small company with a limited distribution network. I wasn't  aware of errors. Could you help us out with what they are?

My real problem is what to do with all the first generation kits I have in the stash. The new ones are that much better

7 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Could you help us out with what they are?

Here are some.

The "Cyrano nose" (IIIC, IIIE, IIIO, IIIEBR, IIIEE, etc) has two shapes. The base of nose (the electronics area) is a truncated ogive, the top of the nose (the radome) is conical. Because of that there's a kink, a curvature discontinuity where the shapes meet.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/isaac_gershman/mirage_iiic/images/mirage_iiic_03_of_63.jpg

http://fanakit.free.fr/mirage3_walkaround/mirageIIIE_derniere_vp2.jpg

The ATAR 9C nozzle is cylindrical when the plane is on the ground also

http://pedro23.fotki.com/aviation_airports_planes/fighter_world/atar_9c_turbo_jet-4.html

Now look at the HPM kit here for example: http://airliner-civil-aircraft-modeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=953

You can see that there's no kink in the radome. It's probably because the diameter at the base of the radome is too small and it give an ogival profile to the whole nose.

You can see also that the nozzle petals (which seem too narrow) form a truncated cone, not a cylinder.

The end of the fuselage looks too tapered also.

• Like 1

Laurent,

Thanks so much for the information. Now that you point them out, the errors are quite prominent. The nose especially is a little troubling. I'm more of a mirage lover than a Mirage expert so I appreciate your help. I'll have to give some thought to what other kit I can canabalize to make a correction.

Bill

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Laurent, do you know if the original short-run HPM kit had a correct radome ? If so, I may clone a few copies in resin from a kit in the stash and use these parts to replace the incorrect RV and new HPM ones...

I'm not sure I still have the old HPM tooling in my stash. If you have the old-new or the new-new tool, perhaps you could compare ?

35 minutes ago, Laurent said:

I'm not sure I still have the old HPM tooling in my stash. If you have the old-new or the new-new tool, perhaps you could compare ?

I thought the old short-run kit was hidden deeper in the stash but fortunately it wasn't, so I managed to get the box and do a quick comparison.

The older nose does look better. Not perfect, to me it looks like it has a kink but between two ogival shapes rather than an ogive and a cone. Not perfect but better.

It's also very slightly deeper at the base as is the whole front fuselage. The old radome is quite a bit longer, this however may just be due to the fact that the newer kit has the radome tip moulded as part of the pitot tube.

Unfortunately the old kit has the radome integral with the fuselage, this will make cloning the part more difficult. Not impossible but a bit more difficult.