1/32 Trumpeter A-10A

Started the famous and very large Trumpeter A-10A.

a10boxart_zpsea143ab4.jpg

Kit is quite old now, and very different from their newer releases. Trumoeter have moved away from their moving parts to concentrating on larger detail.

At first i was a fan of dynamic model kits but have realised how much hassel they can be especially when it come to compromising on detail.

Although i have to say the A-10A is a gem in this scale, even with it's multimedia atempts.

Originally i was going to use the Verlinden cockpit set, which i had. Decided not to, as there was a lot of cutting and butchering to do to the A-10's Nose section.

Also I was not too amazed by verlinden's casting quality. Not in comparison to todays quality like L'Arsenal for example.

The resin casting for the engines is a nice touch but IMO could have easily been achieved with injection pieces. Also this would prohibit the need for 160+ grams of ballast required in the nose.

I am going for some extra detail on this model: e.g. Brake lines and It's also going to involve the extra resin GAU-8 Gun nozzle. So there will be an external model of the famous gun itself alongside the finished aircraft. :rolleyes:

Progress so far:

IMG_4495_zpsd126cac2.jpg

IMG_4494_zpsca5bcec0.jpg

IMG_4497_zps66fdbe06.jpg

Size is becoming very noticable! The wings have a nice touch of moveable/sliding fowler flaps.

IMG_4499_zps35c9a900.jpg

IMG_4501_zps1c8be0bf.jpg

Ejecor seat, might need some mods?

IMG_4502_zps13cd01a5.jpg

more later...............

• Like 1

More progress:

Realised Trumpeter got the instructions on the engine assembly wrong!

The fan should go behind the raised ring on the engine nacelle, rather thena the front. otherwise the spacing will be to short.

You want the fan inlet to look like this:

sutt_a-10_69_zps1684ae16.jpg

And this is how it will turn out:

IMG_4511_zps6547cffb.jpg

IMG_4517_zpsa350c0fa.jpg

Adds a good scale 6" which is pretty much correct.

• Like 1

I've noticed that most scale model's of the A-10 get this wrong.

I Fly a Challenger 605 amongst others at the moment and they have the Same PW-34 engines, identical phyiscally to the TF-34.

The fan is quite set back from the nacelles, very noticable.

More progress:

Fuselage has gone together along with wing and tail section.

Size is very clear now! Thought the F-15 was big:

IMG_4513_zps4abd18cd.jpg

IMG_4514_zpse878a071.jpg

IMG_4510_zpseb874e63.jpg

Few gaps to fill still....

IMG_4518_zps83b3e63b.jpg

• Like 1

Are u making the A-10A,A-10A+ or the A-10C?

because before the first gulf war the had not the gps dome on the top and no altitude warnings on the vertical tail planes.

For the rest very nice build so far looking forward for the rest

Mark

Edited by markske

I just love the Warthog! It's one of the coolest aircraft out there. I've seen it performing strafing runs agains tank targets on a range in Belgium.. I'd hate to be in a tank when the A-10 shows up! It's more of a can opener than anything else..

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress this week, since a 2 week break!

No more painting yet but a finished set of weapons choice:

IMG_4522.jpg

GAU-8 Now complete, ready for the ALCLAD 2 setup:

IMG_4523.jpg

All aerials & Antenas on + The super Resin Gun Muzzle:-)

IMG_4524.jpg

Pylons all on, quite a bit of work and time needed there!

IMG_4525.jpg

For those who wanted an idea of scale? £1 coin. It doesn't really give a full appreciation of size IMO!

I'll try to put another well known kit in view, maybe some pieces of the 1/32 Tamiya F-16, Trumpeter 1/32 A-7 or 1/32 Revell Ju-88.

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

More to come, Weapon painting and the start of Camo Spraying......

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1/32 A-10C Update:

Been a while but i thought that I really need to crack on with this enormous aircraft!

PAINT......PAINT..........PAINT and more PAINT!

Going through my Model Master enamels at a rate of knots :weep:

Green base was first, followed by the camo patten using a more field like green and then the grey.

After finishing both top and bottom it gobbled up 4 jars. A futher 2 had to opened later for minor corrections + Canopy masks.

HUD is in place with it's green edge glass. Also the weapons are now all sprayed too.

Starting to look more like the A-10C:

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

A quick look to see how the finished canopy will look:

IMG_4546.jpg

Spoilers extended:

IMG_4552.jpg

The underside, took a long time to finish all the pylons:

IMG_4555.jpg

A quick look at the GAU-8, Not finished though!

IMG_4549.jpg

I've created brake lines on the main gear. This was created from thin Evergreen rods, bent into correct contours.

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

More to follow this week as over the weekend I completed the gloss cote finsh and today the Decals went on.

The Decals, What can I say? but they are microscopic in thickness and are the most difficult to handle! Takes a long time to do what in reality, is not normally a huge undertaking :banghead:

Pics later......

• Like 1