1/76th AFV Crew (and Centurions to put them in)

Chillidragon

Hope I've been here long enough to start picking everyone's brains...

I need some decent British AFV crews for the 1960s; there are only so many ex-RAF Recovery set drivers I can chop about before I go bibbledy... Or run out. No bets on which might come first, please.

I also invested in some well-priced Centurions; oh dear. I'd never heard about the dimension problems before, and no way is that kit a Mark 8. I might get some 5's out of them if I work at it.

Now; does anyone know of a conversion kit for the AVRE, or indeed any parts to alleviate my task?

Hi

You might have problems here. Crews I'm not sure about as frankly I've been looking for a decent 1/76 or 1/72 Cent to put them in first for years. Apart from the Cromwell Models resin range there basically aren't any.

Please research Cromwell Models VERY carefully before you send them any money...

There just may be a chink of light on the horizon as Cromwell appear to be working with another company called Military Miniatures (?) who are - slowly - bringing out some of their Israeli Centurion versions. If they sell enough of those, who knows where that will lead?

Plastic kits? Apart from the ancient and terrible Airfix job, there aren't any. For perhaps the best tank of the 1950's and 1960's in the world, thats just ridiculous.

In 1/35 I have a couple dozen AFV Club kits of the marks 3-6. Just waiting for them or Accurate Armour (Come on, come on...) to bring out conversions for the long hull versions (7 onwards) so I can do my Cent 12 AVRE, Cent Marksman, etc etc.

Best of luck and if we keep on asking Airfix, who knows what may happen?

Mike

I have a lead on some bits to build a mark 5 AVRE, and an article from Airfix Magazine to "backdate" (Pause to get my breath back from howling laughter) the kit to Mark 5 standards.

As for crews, I'm going to try a railway modeller's solution for populating carriages and road vehicles; since properly scaled figures wouldn't fit at all well (given over-scale thickness of floors and car roofs - and therefore head and foot room) many modellers use HO (1/87) figures. This works well when viewed as part of a larger whole, despite a six-foot figure scaling out in 1/76 as five foot three inches. Maybe this won't do for commanders perched on the backs of Ferret or Saracen turrets, but might well do for dandruff sufferers (AC and APC drivers - because you can just make out their head and shoulders inside... buh-duh-bish!).

Well, I've tried my experiment; this may work for the interior of carriages, maybe even cars, but for a driver at 1/87 in a Ferret and the commander in 1/76th - erm... No. It looks like the driver is on an outing with the ACF.

Time to try something else...

Hey biggles,

Castoff models have started to do Cent conversions and on another site he was asking about ideas for conversions, so i mentioned the long hull Cents ie Mk 7/9/12 and 8/10/13.

He said they were just the sort he was looking for and mentioned that his starter version would probably be a Mk 13, so hopefully we will have some soon.

Chilli, Friendship models has sometimes held stock of Cromweell models 1/76 range, so you could try there.

But as already said, be very careful before you order direct from Cromwell as it can be a lottery as to whether you get your stuff or not.

Malc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Malcolm

Apologies for not responding earlier - been away.

Thanks for passing this on to Castoff. I have to admit I hadn't heard of them before, but from now on I shall be watching their website like a hawk!

Couple of interesting Cent bits on there already... (although I already have 2 Lion Roar Mk III turrets).

Heres hoping!

Mike

Hi, have you tried the HobbyMaster 1/72nd scale " die-cast" Centurions? All plastic, screwed and glued together, come out pretty good with a litte work!

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q505/martinjpayne/Centurion%20tank%20WIP/IMG_0035.jpg

Centurion Mk.5/1 (Aus) work in progress. Sorry it's a link, but can't seem to embed picture from iPad!

Edited by martinjpayne