Revell 1/144 747-8I - wow!

Lufthansa is sooooooooooo boring! Plenty of scope for some what-ifs!

Andrew

There aren't *that* many airlines using the 748 (yet) but how boring LH colours depends on how you build it. I almost hate to say this but a plain colour scheme does not necessarily make a boring model...

btw, I agree that the LH colors are booooooring...... add blue to the engine cowlings, (wing/shark-lets also blue, with logo), and a bit larger, more modern looking font "Lufthansa",...and it will look quite ok,....

Talking of liveries, I do agree that the liveries of most German airlines are dull and boring with just a few exceptions (which I can think of none right now!)...

The masters of beautiful liveries are the Asian airlines. Maybe when those start to use the 47-8...

so great we got 2 different models of the 748...now you can build Lufthansa and ehh....what was the other customer? ahhh air china...great, now you can build both of them without using the same kit.

perfect example of how to spend time, money and a lot of research for a model, the market does not need, at least with 2 molds.

so great we got 2 different models of the 748...now you can build Lufthansa and ehh....what was the other customer? ahhh air china...great, now you can build both of them without using the same kit.

perfect example of how to spend time, money and a lot of research for a model, the market does not need, at least with 2 molds.

I agree...

And in the meantime we don't even have a decent (injection) Tristar or DC10 or 757 or 707 or ATR or ATP or Trident or 1-11 or Caravelle or Comet or ....

Edited by George D.

there is the minicrap 757 (not very nice, still haven't finished mine) and f-rsin plastic ink ATR (great kit btw) and the Welsh ATP (ok, van form + resin parts) but that works quite well.....

Hmmm... Me bad.. I should emphasize the word "decent" and probably added the word "affordable".

The moulds are there. Revell used to have L1011 and DC10. They would only need to do a re-run as they did for other kits too. Why another A320 with different decals and not a re-run of those ? I'm sure many (me included) would love to have them.

Edited by George D.

I agree...

And in the meantime we don't even have a descent (injection) Tristar or DC10 or 757 or 707 or ATR or ATP or Trident or 1-11 or Caravelle or Comet or ....

How nice to read there's no "decent" (no "s" in the middle of this adjective, and English is not my native language) ATR, Trident or Comet. I produce the injected plastic ATR 42 and 72, Trident 3B and Comet 1. If you think they are not "decent", please elaborate.

Laurent Herjean - F-RSIN

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the correction.

The world "decent" was mostly meant for the minicraft and other big company kits. As for your kits, I haven't seen them up
close and probably never will as they are not available in Greece and too expensive to buy online, so I can't judge.
I don't know why you got offended since I didn't name ANY company or manufacturer.
So, sorry for not knowing about your kits.
Anyway, I thought the discussion was about Revell and their decision to make a 747-8...

• 4 weeks later...

The Revell 1/144 747-8I is the best airliner kit design ever -- on par with the Otaki L1011. They with Jennings help -- nailed it! WIll be a good conversion to 747-800 using parts from the Revell 747-400 like engines, etc...

Don't forget TransAero and Korean Air :)

I personally think a 748 is a very welcome addition to the airliner range - it's a much updated version of one of the most iconic aircraft of all time which will be gracing the skies in both passenger and freighter form for decades to come .

And don't forget Concorde, which it could be argued was a complete sales failure (when you compare 14(ish) government backed sales to a mere two airlines) so the 748 has already outsold it considerably. And then think how much time/effort/money was spent on developing kits of that by numerous manufacturers.

I agree...

And in the meantime we don't even have a decent (injection) Tristar or DC10 or 757 or 707 or ATR or ATP or Trident or 1-11 or Caravelle or Comet or ....

Really? Apart from the gratuitous insult to Laurent and F-RSIN (it's slightly worrying that do you not understand why he "got offended") there isn't much wrong with the Airfix Trident, 1-11, Caravelle or Comet that can't be put right by the application of some basic modelling skills. OK the kits aren't in the current catalogue but they all turn up on Ebay quite regularly. The Minicraft 707 in its various incarnations isn't the world's greatest kit but it isn't awful either. Re-profile the cockpit and fix the sit of the engines particularly on the 320B and you have the basis of a decent model. The Airfix DC-10 can also be turned into a good model if you're prepared to do the work. To my mind modelling is about much more than just sticking a kit together but that's probably a separate topic in its own right.

Airliner modelling is a minority interest within a minority hobby and we should count ourselves lucky to have the kits we've got. We certainly needed one kit of the 747-8 but I completely agree with Flaptrack when he says that the market doesn't need two.

Really? Apart from the gratuitous insult to Laurent and F-RSIN (it's slightly worrying that do you not understand why he "got offended") there isn't much wrong with the Airfix Trident, 1-11, Caravelle or Comet that can't be put right by the application of some basic modelling skills. OK the kits aren't in the current catalogue but they all turn up on Ebay quite regularly. The Minicraft 707 in its various incarnations isn't the world's greatest kit but it isn't awful either. Re-profile the cockpit and fix the sit of the engines particularly on the 320B and you have the basis of a decent model. The Airfix DC-10 can also be turned into a good model if you're prepared to do the work. To my mind modelling is about much more than just sticking a kit together but that's probably a separate topic in its own right.

Airliner modelling is a minority interest within a minority hobby and we should count ourselves lucky to have the kits we've got. We certainly needed one kit of the 747-8 but I completely agree with Flaptrack when he says that the market doesn't need two.

I don't believe there was any insult intended towards F-RSIN gratuitous or otherwise as George clearly stated "injection" in his response. This to differentiate between mass-produced kits from mainstream manufacturers and the low-volume products produced by the likes of Authentic Airliners, Daco, F-RSIN and Welsh Models.

I would have thought it obvious that had George intended to refer to all available airliner kits, then he would surely have taken into account the likes of Authentic Airliners who produce probably the best BAC 1-11 and B707 kits we are ever likely to see.

Perhaps two Boeing 747-800 kits will be welcome to the modellers preferring the more modern airliner, and I'm sure that both will do reasonably well in the market place once more airlines acquire the type. However, I too would like to see the types mentioned by George released as decent injection moulded kits. Perhaps the likes of Zvezda will come to our rescue.

Chris.

I compared both models in local model shop - and i can´t say which is better. I´m military aircraft fan, but Jumbo jet is classic and i can´t build an ancient mould... Revell is better and accurate as Zvezda ? Price is +- same...

Thx.

Edited by AlCZ

Chris, my ATR 42 and 72, Trident 3B and Comet 1 are injection moulded kits.

Laurent

Thanks Laurent.

I am aware of your kits, in fact I have one of your CV990 kits.

The purpose of my statement was to differentiate between the mass-produced and limited run kits available.

Your Trident kit appears to be very good as well. Hopefully I'll pick one up at Cosford.

Sorry for the thread derailment.

Chris.

• 1 month later...

so...has anybody decided which is the better and more accurate kit yet?

I don't have either (yet) but when I do get one I'd like to see which gets the general approval

as to colours...

well...if your filling the windows, ther are always freighters so add BA to the list as well as a copuple of others.

Me being a bit wierd, I'm just as likely to do one in Lufty, with doors open, cockpit and other interiors, routine stuff like that

...so it won't be a boring model....

well...if your filling the windows, ther are always freighters so add BA to the list as well as a copuple of others.

Me being a bit wierd, I'm just as likely to do one in Lufty, with doors open, cockpit and other interiors, routine stuff like that

...so it won't be a boring model....

Are you using Bradley's phone while he's away?

• Like 1

Are you using Bradley's phone while he's away?

is he away?

otherwise no, its juts m y fwula yptigni

Well im back now, so you had both hide, im out on the prowl for more airliners lol

Once i get a job lol

Also the dreaded phone has been replaced, but i got a phone that has even smaller keys on the touch screen :-(

Stupid fingers lol

All i need are your addresses and once ive got my drivers license ill be down to nick your stashes lol

:-)