Revell 1/144 747-8I - wow!

so are the windows in the new RV 748 right or wrong? Too big or not?

I am leaning on the "too big" side. No data to prove it but it is just a strong feeling, they never look as big as that on the real plane.

No big deal for me, I will just putty them and use the decals, hoping the printing quality is as good as on RoG's previous sheets (Austrian "Philharmoniker" A340 for example).

Steven

• Like 1

so, what exactly indicates that there might be a freighter version following???

Partly the 747-8I/8F on the inside of the wing moulding, and also some reference to clear parts for the freighter in the draft instructions. All just speculation at the moment I think though.

Andrew

747-8 cabin windows (not including those in the main cabin doors, which are the same as other 747s) are an oval 10 x 17". In 1/144 that scales out to 2.9986 mm x 1.763888 mm. By my measurements, the cabin windows on the Revell kit measure out almost exactly those dimensions. Certainly within a tiny fraction of a millimeter, and outside of my ability to measure. My only possible complaint about them is that they appear to be almost parallel sided ovals, whereas the real thing is a continuous curve.

Partly the 747-8I/8F on the inside of the wing moulding, and also some reference to clear parts for the freighter in the draft instructions. All just speculation at the moment I think though.

Andrew

I'd really like to think you're right, and I hope you are. I wish I'd seen this before Telford, I was chatting to a couple of Revell guys on their stand whilst fondling their 748 sprue test shots, one of them seemed to know a fair bit about the kit and was explaining to me that they weren't impressed with the Zvesda kit. Therefore they went ahead with their own moulds which were more accurate in several areas, including the wing root fairings and windows. After all his speil I then asked him "what's the chances of a short upper deck / Freighter version" and his reply was "none". Read into that what you will, hopefully he (or I!) was mis-informed.

747-8 cabin windows (not including those in the main cabin doors, which are the same as other 747s) are an oval 10 x 17". In 1/144 that scales out to 2.9986 mm x 1.763888 mm. By my measurements, the cabin windows on the Revell kit measure out almost exactly those dimensions. Certainly within a tiny fraction of a millimeter, and outside of my ability to measure. My only possible complaint about them is that they appear to be almost parallel sided ovals, whereas the real thing is a continuous curve.

that answers that - good stuff

When I look at photo number 4, it strikes me as a bit odd that the curvature of the lower fuselage is more convex than the windowline. It's almost like the model has mumps - I would have thought that this area would be sleeker on the real thing.

Jens

• 2 months later...

Got mine yesterday....shame the box is too short for the fuselage sprues.

Looks nice otherwise, although shame about the decals.

Andrew

Edit: I notice that the '-8I/8F' has been replaced with '-8' in the inside of the mouldings...

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

I got mine today and I'm quite disappointed. For new moulds there is quite a lot flesh at some parts and while his might not be that important for people who are using window decals, the shape of the windows is horrendous. All of them are slightly different in shape/size. I expected a little more from Revell.

Stefan

Still, a new, accurate ( :worms: ) 747 kit for less than £20 :D . The flash, although generally minor, is a little disappointing for a newly-tooled kit. I think Zvezda have the edge in terms of moulding quality, if not in terms of accuracy. Partly Revell's white plastic just looks a bit cheap compared to Zvezda's grey, but that's largely aesthetic, I suppose. What we need now is some decent schemes..... Lufthansa is sooooooooooo boring! Plenty of scope for some what-ifs! Don't forget the windows though...... :winkgrin:

Andrew

Is it a completely new and different tool than Zvezda's ?

I ask because the Revell 787 actually looks as a rebox of Zvezda's 787 but without the stand! The sprues look exactly the same, missing the same details, and the instructions are 99% exactly the same, just retouched in Revell style.

Does the same stand for the 747-8 ? I sure hope not!

Is it a completely new and different tool than Zvezda's ?

I ask because the Revell 787 actually looks as a rebox of Zvezda's 787 but without the stand! The sprues look exactly the same, missing the same details, and the instructions are 99% exactly the same, just retouched in Revell style.

Does the same stand for the 747-8 ? I sure hope not!

Hi the revell b747-8i is a brand new revell tool and is not a copy of the zvezda as for the b787 the revell one was a rebox of the zvezda kit

The revell b747-8i is far better then the zvezda one i have got 6 flying its way to me in the post

Edited by pperkins

I got mine today and I'm quite disappointed. For new moulds there is quite a lot flesh at some parts and while his might not be that important for people who are using window decals, the shape of the windows is horrendous. All of them are slightly different in shape/size. I expected a little more from Revell.

Stefan

I think most of this (perhaps all) is down to the flash around many of the windows rather than the moulding per se. I think a bit of care will be needed in removing this as the plastic is already quite thin around the windows.

Andrew