Revell 1/144 747-8I - wow!

Home for lunch for a few minutes, and just tore open the parcel containing the 747-8I test shot from Revell that had just arrived. I can't post any photos just yet, but suffice it to say, this kit blows the Zvezda kit out of the water by miles and miles and miles! You're all going to be *very* impressed with it!

J

• Like 1

this kit blows the Zvezda kit out of the water by miles and miles and miles!

Jennings, could you perhaps elaborate it a little without opening all the cards - what is better? Say - overall shape, panel lines, all these small vents, hatches, grids or something else (like it actually can fly) ?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for quoting another forum but I cannot find how to do without the apparent link.

Better than a tease : http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=255077&view=findpost&p=2432884

Did I really say I were too old to get Xmas presents ? Where/when did I say such monstrosity ?

Cheers, Steven

OK, given they can put this level of detail into a new mould, of a yet slow selling version of the 747, and especially when there is very recent competition out there

how come Revell don't updaate the -400 with a new mould?

i look forward to it, do us a favour and while you are at it do us a different livery other than lufthansa lol.

Arik Air would be a stunning livery but I believe they canceled their order, which leaves us with Korean Air, 2nd operator of a 747-8 I in passenger config, a beautiful livery IMHO. But I doubt we will see anything else than Lufthansa from Revell.

Cheers, Steven

OK, given they can put this level of detail into a new mould, of a yet slow selling version of the 747, and especially when there is very recent competition out there

how come Revell don't updaate the -400 with a new mould?

Hey, you are still left with the beautiful and so much accurate (yes, it is what they say on their boxes) horrible Dragon/Cyber Hobby 747s :evil_laugh:

On a more serious note, maybe Revell think they will never recoup the cost of a 100% new tool, knowing the 1:1 version is no longer produced.

Can you just imagine a new tool 747SP, -300 or -400 ? I would die for new tool "oldies" such as early 747s, DC-10s and Tristars.

Cheers, Steven

On a more serious note, maybe Revell think they will never recoup the cost of a 100% new tool, knowing the 1:1 version is no longer produced.

Can you just imagine a new tool 747SP, -300 or -400 ? I would die for new tool "oldies" such as early 747s, DC-10s and Tristars.

Cheers, Steven

Well I can imagine that also, doesn't mean it's going to happen though

Strange that model makers seem to believe that anything old military will be a huge seller, like a 1/32 Arado and Heinkels, yet anything old civil is doomed to be a disaster, but didn't they do a new Connie? we can only dream

Don't know if it'll make it to the shelves by Christmas or not. I've *just* completed the decal and instruction sheet artwork for Revell, and the disk is going in the mail on Monday.

I just hope the "Frankenstorm" doesn't eat the disk.

Well I can imagine that also, doesn't mean it's going to happen though

Strange that model makers seem to believe that anything old military will be a huge seller, like a 1/32 Arado and Heinkels, yet anything old civil is doomed to be a disaster, but didn't they do a new Connie? we can only dream

it's because airliners dont sell.

apparently

Also because Arado and Heinkel and Messerschmitt don't charge exorbitant licensing fees to do their WWII aircraft. Modern airliner manufacturers do.

When you say airliner manufacturers, it seems the most aggresive of these is Boeing, are there any others who are as aggresive in this?

Given that Boeing holds the Douglas line of airliners these days, how do they charge fees for military kits of their products?

I have always wondered how seemingly Boeing demands huge fees for airliners as kits, but appearantly not modern military, like F/A18's and F15 etc, given that military jets appear to outsell airliners 100 to 1, I would have though that one would help the other if it was the same manufacturer ie Revell doing both, or do Boeing charge a flat licensing fee for each model which would help defray the cost over a large military kit run, but not a small airliner kit run?, and how much did Lockheed charge in fees for the Constellation?

I also wonder how much Zvezda paid Boeing for the 787 and 747-8I? I guess there is no way of ever really knowing.

I have always wondered how seemingly Boeing demands huge fees for airliners as kits, but appearantly not modern military, like F/A18's and F15 etc [...]

It's my understanding that the U.S. government owns any rights to its military equipment, and therefore Boeing is prohibited from extracting licensing fees pertaining to any military hardware it produces that's in active service. I'm not sure how this works for ex-service equipment though. I have a feeling there's a Boeing license sticker on Tamiya's 1/32 Mustang box though.

Kev

Hi there!

I just registered me here to share my pics. I visited "Faszination Modellbau" in Friedrichshafen Germany. Revell showed their new 747. It was just taped together and well, the engines look terribe! :shutup:

o71ce6lhumpq.jpg

7w5jq8rioq7.jpgorlw2lhq7bup.jpgvnamigofw1th.jpg

Greets Konrad

Welcome to Britmodeller Konrad!

Thanks for the photos.

It does look like it has been assembled in a bit of a rush! Many parts seem to be missing. I think the fan blades are incomplete - there are two parts that fit together to complete the fan (as per Zvezda), but otherwise the engines look ok.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to make some AM decals with clear windows? Perhaps you could do some for the 744 at the same time?

Here's hoping.... please....

Seems to be a bizarre decision by Revell to mould the windows in and only include dark grey window decals :shrug: .

It's entirely possible. "Bizarre" is your interpretation. It was a business decision. There's only so much money to spend on it. The decal sheet is huge to start with, and everything you add makes the size and thus the cost go up.