BAe Harrier Gr Mk. 7/9 - 1:72 Revell

Paul A H

BAe Harrier Gr Mk. 7/9

1:72 Revell

Harriergr9boxtop.jpg

Developed from the prototype Hawker Siddeley P.1127, which flew for the first time over fifty years ago, the vertical take-off Harrier has become one of the most famous post-war jet aircraft of all. Awarded what some would say is the ultimate accolade for a non-US designed aircraft – a purchase order from the United States Government – the first generation Harrier was successful enough to merit the development of a second generation.

Despite a slightly troubled development, during which Hawker Siddeley pulled out of the joint Ango-American project in 1975, only to rejoin again (as British Aerospace) in 1981, the resulting aircraft was a quantum leap in terms of capability compared to the original design. The second generation of Harriers, to which the GR7 and GR9 belong, feature a larger wing, more powerful engine and extensive use of lightweight composite materials throughout the airframe. The GR9 boasts a wide range of improvements to avionics and weapon systems compared to the GR7. The aircraft has seen extensive combat service and both the GR7 and GR9 have been employed over Afghanistan as part of Operation Herrick.

It’s no secret that Revell’s Harrier GR Mk. 7/9 is actually Hasegawa’s GR Mk. 7/9 in a blue box. Revell must like the Japanese manufacturer’s take on the Harrier as this is at least the second time that they have released it in their own box. They also released the 1:48 version a few years ago too. The kit is comprised of 91 parts, moulded in the familiar glossy grey plastic used by Hasegawa. Despite having been around the block once or twice, the moulds are clearly in excellent condition and there is no trace of flash anywhere. The panel lines which make up the surface detail are very fine and clear. This is one area where the kit has the edge over the newer Airfix version. Whilst the panel lines on the Airfix kit are pretty tidy, these are just that bit more refined.

Harriergr9sprue1.jpg

Harriergr9sprue2.jpg

Harriergr9closeup.jpg

The cockpit is pretty typical of other Hasegawa kits in this scale. The overall shape looks good, but there is no raised detail to represent the instruments or controls on the instrument panel or side consoles. Decals are provided instead. If you want something a little more convincing, then aftermarket resin or photo etched parts will be the way to go. The ejection seat provided is actually for the AV-8B rather than the GR7/9, so it is closer to the American UPC/Stencel seat than the Martin Baker Mk.12. As the seats provided in kits in this scale are usually only rough approximations of the real thing though, it’s not exactly a deal breaker. Other interior detail includes the intake trunking and turbofan blades, both of which are moulded in a single part and so will require careful painting.

Harriergr9sprue3.jpg

The auxiliary intake doors are moulded with the upper three in the open (or dropped) position, which is a boon for those of us who model their aircraft with the landing gear down. The front jet exhaust nozzles are moulded in two halves, which will create a troublesome seam to clean up. The rear nozzles are moulded in one piece, but are solid, with no real attempt made to create any impression of depth. I’m not sure which approach is better, but this is one area of the kit where I really would recommend some resin replacements. To be fair to Revell (or Hasegawa), this tends to be a problem area for all small-scale Harriers. The nozzles are designed to rotate too, thanks to rotating joints which fit inside the fuselage.

Harriergr9sprue4.jpg

Harriergr9sprue5.jpg

The other major parts of the aircraft, including the nose, wings and horizontal stabilisers are all very nicely recreated. The nose in particular is bob-on. The Leading Edge Root Extensions (LERX) that are characteristic of second generation Harriers are the earlier 65% type, which means that if you don’t plan on using the kit decals, you will need to check to see if the aircraft you plan to build had the 65% or 100% versions fitted. If it’s the 100% versions, then there are a couple of aftermarket options available to you.

The undercarriage is all quite nice, although in-flight versions of the wing-mounted stabilisers aren’t provided. The nose gear wheel is moulded in one piece with the leg, which is a pet hate of mine, but I guess it makes the whole set up a bit stronger. Hasegawa blow hot an cold with their ordnance. Some kits have very little whilst others have a veritable surfeit. Unfortunately this kit falls into the former camp. Aside from the option of gun pods or strakes for the under-fuselage position, you are provided with a couple of drop tanks and a pair of AIM-9 Sidewinders. If you want a full load of stores then you’ll need to rob the more generously appointed Airfix kit or the spares box.

Harriergr9sprue6.jpg

The canopy is thin and clear, but owing to the horseshoe profile, it has a mould seam running down the centre. This should be fairly easy to remove with a nail buffer or similar tool though. The MDC is moulded in place on the inside of the canopy. A decal is also provided for this feature, but the carrier film is quite large, so I personally would avoid using it.

Harriergr9sprue7.jpg

Two options are provided for on the decal sheet:

• GR.9 ZG858, flown by Wing Commander Simon Jessett of No. IV Squadron, Joint Force Harrier, RAF Cottesmore during the Harrier retirement flypast on 15 December 2010; and
  • GR.7 ZD404 “Lucy” of 1 (F) Squadron, depicted at Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, 2007.

As usual, the decals are superbly printed but they do look a little matt. I would recommend applying them over a gloss surface and using a decal solution. The decal sheet is amazingly comprehensive and includes decals for the ordnance, undercarriage and even the individual numbers for the Rolls Royce Pegasus compressor blades.

Harriergr9decals.jpg

Conclusion

Most modellers considering a Harrier GR.7 or GR.9 in 1:72 face a straight choice between this kit and the Airfix alternative. The Airfix kit holds quite a few aces in terms of ordnance, cockpit detail and optional extras (closed auxiliary doors, in-flight undercarriage, 100% LERX), but this kit is still well worth a look. Although it is slightly simpler, it has finer surface detail and will build up into a very handsome model. Revell’s boxing is also good value when compared to the later Hasegawa boxings. Recommended.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 2

Nice review and it's not a bad kit, I was really impressed with the decals!

Couple of gotchas with the kit, being based on US version, the wing tip lumps and bumps aren't quite right and the flare/chaff launcher is missing from under rear fuselage. On the plus side it comes with gun pods and I prefer the canopy as I always end up with a little damage from sprue gate on the Airfix kit..

Thanks for the review. The kit looks definetly easier than the airfix kit, but offers less options (weapons, flaps, intakes, refuelling probe, LERX, retracted gear...). So, there is enough choice, depending, on what you want to build. Good!

Alex

Edited by alex

Unfortunately Revell have made a bit of a boob here. ZG858 is a 100% LERX airframe and therefore can't be accurately modelled from the kit with out purchasing an aftermarket LERX. If you intend to build this kit as a British Harrier, you will also need to add all the various lumps and bumps on the wing tips and on the rear fuselage.

Mark.

Unfortunately Revell have made a bit of a boob here. ZG858 is a 100% LERX airframe and therefore can't be accurately modelled from the kit with out purchasing an aftermarket LERX.

Not, it has to be said, the first time thay have done that! The ironic thing is, they could have included the 100% LERX with the addition of a few more parts (Sprues G and Y from the Hasegawa tooling).

They even appear to include the correct frog eye intakes on sprue 'Z', something I don't recall seeing on a Hasegawa kit before.(Any chance of confirmation of that from the instructions?)

I don't know who done the box art, but you don't get exhaust staining from that top hole. Kit looks OK though :)

You might get a bit around the edges of the APU exhaust, but you're right, nothing like that depicted.

Hi Paul, Many thanks for the review, it looks like a very nice kit. I built the Airfix one and apart from the panel lines which you point out it was an easy build. This kit looks like it should be as easy. Nice decal sheet too.

Colin on the Africa Station

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They even appear to include the correct frog eye intakes on sprue 'Z', something I don't recall seeing on a Hasegawa kit before.(Any chance of confirmation of that from the instructions?)

The same type of plastic parts: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10127446

It is this set repackages Revell. The only other decals.

Edited by Leha-1978

• 3 years later...

Having recently bought an example of this kit I'm a little disappointed in the way that some features have been represented: most obviously the lack of a separate air brake which is always partly extended when the aeroplane is at rest and the outriggers which, to me, appear less refined than those in the Airfix kit. The way that the nose wheel doors are not separate parts is also disappointing as I believe that these doors were always opened at engine shut down to allow for some maintenance activity. The other aspect is the transfer (decal) sheet: the "slime lights" are poorly represented, being a bright pale yellow rather than a grubby Sky and having black outlines. Apart from that it's rather nice and the 4 Squadron markings are going on an Airfix kit which does have the benefit of having 100% LERX from the start.

• 1 month later...
On 20 September 2012 at 0:29 PM, Radleigh said:

I don't know who done the box art, but you don't get exhaust staining from that top hole. Kit looks OK though :)

The boxart is totally accurate....that particular aircraft suffered that staining after ground crew placed their chips (still in paper) on the vent to keep them warm, unfortunately the paper caught fire and the chips were lost.

I have this on good authority from the bloke who eyed the potatoes at the chip shop where the offending chips were bought:blink:

very nice review BTW

• Like 3