Painting Query...

D1fuN0

Hi Guys

Why do painting mishaps happen only when everything is going soooo right :analintruder:

Im busy building the Tamiya Yamaha VX 1600. I do not like plated parts, so I usually strip and respray or Baremetal them.

When it comes to plated wheels, I usually go over the wheels with a soft abrasive wheel on my dremel, removes most of the plating. I then spray them with Tamiya Fine grey base coat, leaving them to dry anything from 24hrs to a few days, then spray them with the base colour, in this case, Tamiya British Racing Green.

Base coat was added on Friday evening, BRG added Sunday morning

To my absolute horror , :yikes: it seems as if the BRG has had a reaction with the grey base coat, and has turned out like Tamiya green texture paint...

(There were numerous parts stripped and resprayed, but only the wheels have reacted in this way, both gloss and satin plated parts)

Ive built more than 50 bikes, Ive used this method on the majority of them and this has never happened before.

Anybody have any ideas? And does anyone have a good tip to take the paint off, cos using paint stripper on 4, 30 spoke wheel halves is not how I want to spend an afternoon....

Thanks

Steve

I use brake fluid to strip paint. I've used it lots & lots of times ( :whistle: ) & touch wood never had a reaction with the plastic, other than it turning the surface dull. Alternatively Fairy power spray is pretty good too. Just put the parts in a tupperware box, cover with brake fluid or the power spray, leave 24 hours or so & then just wash them off under the tap using an old toothbrush to help get rid of paint, especially in the nooks & crannies.

I've only once had a similar reaction to that - on the roof of a Mini Cooper, I used Tamiya white primer, Tamiya pure white & then Tamiya clear coat. Exactly the same as I had for the rest of the body, except substitute Coral Blue for the pure white. The main body was (& still is) fine, the roof after a month or so looked like crazy paving!! I really don't understand paint sometimes....!!

Keef

Just to add my bit, I'm doing a Tamiya Honda CBR1100 XX & had the same on the frame! Undercoated with acrylic grey primer, then Tamiya Flat Black.....wrong! All cracked & looked crap! Long soak in Mr Muscle oven cleaner for a couple of hours & scrub with a toothbrush under warm running water. Clean as new after........

ATB............

Howdy Riggers...

Oven Cleaner?

Ok...

Ill give that a try.

Just to share something as well, I never like the look of how Flat Black comes out, did it on an RGB 500 frame and it looked bleh!

So I tried semi gloss black, and oversprayed flat clear on that. it dulls down the satin sheen nicely and (to me) comes out a lot nicer.

steve

Steve,

Mr Muscle is BEST for removing the chrome from chromed parts as well! Leave overnight in a sealed sandwich bag & hey presto, no chrome!

I honestly meant Semi Gloss Black X-18, sorry for the confusion.

ATB & have fun..............

I use superclean wheel cleaner myself, you can get in in gallon jugs and soak parts in the stuff. I don't know what's in it but it's easier on the skin (ie it doesn't melt flesh immediately) than most of the other things I've tried. A little tooth brush action and Bobs your uncle. Works pretty good on chrome and paint removal.

• 2 weeks later...

just my 2 cents, but I have found Testor's Eas Lift Off to be absolutely awesome for stripping off paint without damaging the glue. All you do is paint it on with a brush and leave it for about an hour or so and then come back and crank up the PSI on your airbrush compressor to 60 PSI or more and fill the airbrush cuip with pure meths and then use it like a pressure washer to just blow away the paint. that works really well

I've used it now on a few kits I hated the paint work on and that includes my Lamborghini that I screwed up and had to use ELO to remove the paint ot start again.....4 times until I was happy with it

Thanks Madhatter

I actually saw some of that in the shop the other day, but i have decided, better than the yamaha becoming a crumpled heap after being thrown against the wall, I have reboxed it and will leave i for a couple weeks, and start again in a couple of weeks.