Boeing 747SP ++FINISHED++

tomprobert

I dread vacform. I have a Welsh 737... Afraid to try...

But this is looking good!

Welsh vacs are , in my opinion at least, the best vacs to get started on. The fit is sually excellent, and once removed from the backing plastic build just like an injection kit.

Give it a go!

as usual I expect the spectacular from you Tom,,,,,

by the way - if your doing this in QF livery, can I persuade you to part with the Pan Am decal sheet?

as usual I expect the spectacular from you Tom,,,,,

by the way - if your doing this in QF livery, can I persuade you to part with the Pan Am decal sheet?

Yup - pm me your address and it's yours.

This build has been progressing nicely over the weekend.

I have filled the joins on the fuselage and sanded them - there were no issues at all here and I'm pleased with the result:

DSCF5741_zps817c9297.jpg

DSCF5742_zpsddad2ae9.jpg

DSCF5744_zps02d09fc5.jpg

I've also cut the wings out, sanded them so they are the correct thickness and glued them together. Again there were no fit issues at all, and just a quick lick of filler will be needed along the leading edges. The wheel bays will be made form plasticard in due course:

DSCF5746_zpsd15d5d2d.jpg

So far so good!

Tom

The best trick I ever learned for sanding the wings is to spray the whole sheet with primer before snapping out the parts. This leaves a white edge of raw plastic below the primered part. Then sand, and when you can't see any more white, you're done.

• Like 1

The best trick I ever learned for sanding the wings is to spray the whole sheet with primer before snapping out the parts. This leaves a white edge of raw plastic below the primered part. Then sand, and when you can't see any more white, you're done.

Thanks Jessica, I think I will have a go at that.

Looks like you have this vac form stuff worked out. How to do you know how far to sand the wings. My first attempt wa sa disaster!

I've tried a number of ways, including something similar what Jessica has suggested, but the one that works best for me is when removing the part from the plastic sheet, leave approximately 2-3mm of the backing sheet around the part.

Then I sand away until this backing plastic falls away, and when this occurs you know you are at the correct tickness. A little final thinning is needed on the trailing edges, and then you'll be done.

Tom

Great work! This is going to be a very nice built ;)

Still got an Welsh MD-11 in the stash, but I think i'm not skilled enough to built it. I just need to keep a close eye on your build :P

Thx for the tip on the wings. Ive got a few vacs in the stash and will use that when I get around to building some. So far the only vac kit Ive done had resin wings and bits.

I've got plenty more done on this build over the last week.

The wings were attached and the joints filled:

DSCF5777.jpg

Then when everything was sanded in nicely I got the Braz RB211s together and attached them to the wings:

DSCF5791.jpg

DSCF5794.jpg

I've also added the nose and body gear, as I needed to check that everything sat nice and level:

DSCF5796.jpg

The wing tip aerials were made from stretched sprue, and have been added to the wing tips and blended in with filler.

Next job will be the stabilisers...

...I always seem to break those tip HF antennae and try to pin thme with varying degrees of success.

Tom is Tom. He is different from normal mortal people. He is probably from another planet.

Where they have very big houses and are all brilliant model makers.