Proof of My Insanity, or 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer with S.1 Conversion

Davec_24

Just a quick verbal update (not much worth taking pictures of yet): I've spent the last few days getting the nose weight in and getting the fuselage halves together, starting with the nose and letting that all dry before tackling the tail. The lower half is very warped, which meant that I've had to assemble the fuselage in steps like this, tacking with superglue before poly cementing some plastic card plates in behind the joins (particularly in the tail, where the plastic is quite thin and provides relatively little bonding surface), hence the lack of progress over the last few days.

I was toying with building a bomb-bay to display open, but having just got myself all fired up, I came across a stumbling block. The warping of the lower fuselage pretty much requires the bomb bay piece to be firmly cemented in position to even begin to get it back straight again. I tried hot water, bracing with some sections of sprue to hold the shape, etc. but to no avail, such that the bomb bay piece itself is very much structural on this one at least. Unfortunately, this means no opportunity to display the weapons bay open, but on the plus side this will mean a cleaner overall look, making the most of the S.1's sleeker lines.