A Tornado thrust reverser question

goon

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing my Hobbyboss Tornado either in flight, or landing. Am I right in thinking the thrust reversers can only be deployed if there is weight on the nose wheel? Or can I legitimately pose the aircraft on the main gear only with the reversers opening? What about the spoilers? Could they be up in the same pose?

Cheers,

Gareth

It's been a few years since I worked on the Tornado but, in my day, the WOW (Weight-On-Wheel) Switches had to make before the Thrust Reversers would deploy. (Which means the aircraft has to be 'solidly' on the ground).

The Spoilers would also deploy - if selected, I believe.

If you Google 'Tornado Aircraft Landing', I'm sure you'll see some videoes showing them in operation.

Hope this helps - I'm sure we'll get some responses from people more current with the Tornado than I am!

Cheers, Brian

Unfortunately another fault of the HB kit ...those reverse buckets only deploy during the landing sequence when the aircraft has , I believe , all three sets of wheels on the deck.

Im not sure about the spolilers but I would take Brians advice :D

Andy

When you say 'spoilers' are you talking about the airbrakes on top of the fuselage either side of the fin, if so it was my understanding they cannot be deployed at the same time as the thrust reversers as the deflected thrust would blow them off.

Muzz

Thanks everyone. Yes, by spoilers I mean those on top of the wing. I'd never really thought why the reversers and airbrakes aren't seen together, but Muzz's explanation makes it very obvious!

Cheers,

Gareth

Yes, the Spoilers are on the top surface of each mainplane (wing) - the Thrust Reversers are the large panels that open upwards on each side of the rear fuselage, at the base of the fin.

The clever computers in the aircraft will automatically select the airbrakes IN if they are left out on landing (IIRC), as Muzz has said previously.

Hope this helps clarify things. Cheers, Brian

The buckets deploy when all 3 wheels are in contact with the ground, the resulting deployment also pushes the nose down slightly, the spoilers pop out to dump lift on the wing and act as an areodynamic breake. The only time the buckets would be out other wise is during maintenance.

:bouncy:

Yes, the Spoilers are on the top surface of each mainplane (wing) - the Thrust Reversers are the large panels that open upwards on each side of the rear fuselage, at the base of the fin.

The clever computers in the aircraft will automatically select the airbrakes IN if they are left out on landing (IIRC), as Muzz has said previously.

Hope this helps clarify things. Cheers, Brian

Spoilers -on top of the wings

Thrust reversers - 'buckets' that swing out into the exhaust flow behind the jet pipes

Airbrakes - two large panels on top of the rear fuselage either side of the fin

Now repeat .......

• Like 1

My memory may be fading but.....

Rocking the throttles outboard controlled the lift dump (wing spoilers) & thrust reverse. Normally this was done after you were down, definitely staying down (ie not doing a roller/ touch & go) & all 3 wheels were in contact with terra firma. BUT it was possible to pre-arm LD & TR on final approach which activated on mainwheel touchdown, hence you could model a Tornado with the nosewheel still off the ground & the buckets/ spoliers deploying/ deployed. The reason you don't often see that for real is due to the potential for high rates of de-rotation if you cocked it up (ie the nose would slam down very hard during the deceleration) - this was partly the cause of the first RAF F3 crash (during landing at Akrotiri, Cyprus). For that reason, Pre-Armed Thrust Reverse Landings (PATRLs) were seldom practised, usually only once a year during a pilot's QFI "dual check" & you had to be within a strict set of parameters on short finals, eg rate of descent, crosswind, etc otherwise you deselected pre-arm & did it manually when you had all 3 wheels down.

From what I remember there were one or two anomalies.....

If you managed to bounce spectacularly badly on landing, it was possible to get airborne again with Lift Dump (spoilers) but not Thrust Reverse deployed (can't remember how). Since the jet then had all the flying qualities of a block of flats, this was generally viewed as a Bad Thing.....

One of the downwind checks was to make sure the airbrakes were "in & locked" - there was an interlock between the airbrakes & thrust reverse buckets which was supposed to stow the brakes before the buckets deployed but the buckets (pneumatic) deployed very quickly (0.2 sec I think) & the airbrakes (hydraulic) took longer to than that to stow, so if you landed with them out (or even slightly unlocked) there was a real risk of blowing them off with Rev/ Rev. Cue a one way chat, with hat, no coffee.....

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The Thrust reversers can be shown deployed on the ground but this would only be during functional checks and you would require a GPU and Hydraulic Rig. We did this at a St Athan airshow (93-95 ish) and before deploying them we had to warn the crowd of the noise level the Thrust Reversers make when deploying

One of the cool things about Tornado is the sound the buckets make when being selected, a loud "Zipping" noise that can be heard over the noise of the engines.

I can still hear that noise now !! Memories of the good old days at Leeming in the viewing area :heart:

Andy

Doug has it pretty much nailed. The thrust reverse system uses bleed air from the engine to operate the buckets. These are controlled by rocking outboard the left-hand throttle. If the airbrakes are deployed, they will be automatically retracted on reverse thrust selection, subject to the Weight on Wheels switches being made. The spoilers will deploy with the right-hand throttle being rocked outboard, also subject to WoW switches being made. Both throttles can still be moved from idle to max dry in the rocked position.

You can hand wind the buckets on each engine open/closed for maintenance. So if you plan to do a hanger scene you will need to open the engine bay doors to either attach the test set and a comp' air or speed brace to operate the buckets.

Hope this helps.