Me and my SHADO(Mobile)

I am a big Gerry Anderson fan.

UFO and Captain Scarlet are my favourites.

When I had the chance to buy a Tiger Joe toy tank, I pounced on it.

It was used as the basis of a number of vehicle in various Anderson series.

The wheels and tracks are used in the rear section of the Crab Logger in the Thunder Birds' episode "Path of Destruction" and as the basis for the Unitron tank in Captain Scarlet's "Point 783".

But it is most famous as the chasis for SHADO Mobiles in UFO.

I had some blue prints for a mobile and by using Dave Sisson's site, http://davidsissonmo...co.uk/index.htm

I was able to build my own mobile.

I made a body out of balsa and then made a mold using plaster of paris bandages.

Into this mold I slush cast resin to make the body. Unfortunately the process destroys the mold.

I used 5mm clear acrylic sheet to make the chasis frame and made a working suspension using junior hack saw blades as springs.

The crew are converted Star Wars figures, Han Solo and Luke!

Dave Sisson's site is a wealth of information re greeblies and paint colours.

Mobile4.jpg

Mobile3.jpg

Mobile2.jpg

Mobile1.jpg

Mobile5.jpg

SHADOchassis.jpg

Me and my SHADO:

shado1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by HL-10
  • Like 10

Wow thats a monster - and the model is pretty big too ;)

I love David Sission's site, I used his Stingray as an inspiration for the one I built recently - I had the privilege of seeing the models in the flesh earlier this year at the Smallspace model show, which was very useful and enjoyable needless to say!

That's a good looking build - all it needs now are a few trees and a UFO lurking in the background.

And yes, David Sisson does build some cracking models - his Zero X was really impressive, size-wise.

Glad you like my mobile.

By the way how much is the 'Tiger Joe Tank' worth as I have one sitting in my loft.

Cheers

Andy

On an internet auction site they are going from £90 at the moment.

HI,LOVELY BUILD,when i go around to my mates house,you cant move for these huge studio models,i get to see them too often,they dont have the same appeal,when you have to clamber round them,and move huge eagles to sit down,cheers Don ps actually watched the movie first episode at the weekend,still good...Don

Edited by jetboy

Neat build, I admire folk who who have the tenacity to build 1:1 replicas of filming miniatures.

The 'intro' movie version of UFO was created in the late '70s early '80s by an US company initially for TV syndication in North America but ended up on the early VHS releases and in the process they contractually locked off 5 episodes for home release for years. Different compilation 'movies' were made for theatrical release in Germany and Italy to confuse matters further.

Marty..

Sweet! I love it! I just have to stick with the Imai kit (not a bad effort for a kit, but a bit small compared to this one)

The size looks close enough to a Kyosho Blizzard tracked RC snow vehicle that I'll bet one could do an RC version with a little effort.

• 2 years later...

Brilliant I'm a big Gerry Anderson fan not because of the programs but for the models and U.F.O was the best IMO, I just loved the models and tried to see how many kit chops they did to produce such great vehicles:)

You've done a great job on that mobile

• Like 1