Vickers V1000 / VC7 - the British 707 that should have been

Dave Swindell

This one's definitely going to Telford, but it's touch & go whether the undercarriage will be attached here or at Telford!

The last of the decals went on last night, the cockpit windows were a bit tricky, I ended up cutting it into 3 sections on the model and aligning the two sets of side windows with the cheat line and fitting the 3 windscreen windows centrally in between. This left the lower corners of the 3 sections overlapping, so I sprayed a bit of the spare decal film Appliance White ( they're laser decals with an overall film) then cut a couple of this strips to cover the overlap and create new frames. They're slightly wider than the other frames, but the final result isn't too bad. The cabin windows don't stand out too well, black on dark blue, and would have been better printed lighter and included in the cheatline. The cheatline itself took a fair bit of persuasion to fit the nose contours, no fault of the decal, just the realities of getting a 2D shape to fit 3D compound curves.

IMGP4525.jpg

Here's a shot of a trial fit for the undercarriage, if I were to build this again I'd put a bit of weight in the nose, I should get away with it but it's a bit borderline.

IMGP4527.jpg

The undercarriage has been removed and final painting completed, just the varnish to do once this is posted, exhausts to paint in the morning and the U/C to attach and we're done.

Stop by the Wakefield stand if you want to see it in the flesh, I'll be hanging out there between spending sprees, do say hi if you're passing!

Dave

• Like 4

Cheers John. Just got back from Telford. As promised, the model made it - just! The varnish got a micromeshing on Friday morning, and I had a short debate as to whether to put the undercarriage on before boxing it up. Prudence won, and the model was finished off on Friday evening behind the club stand, it attracted a bit of interest over the weekend. I'll get some photo's up tomorrow.

As promised, a few shots of it finished

IMGP4634.jpg

IMGP4640.jpg

IMGP4631.jpg

More shots in the Gallery thread Here

This was a fairly straightforward build with very few problems, which I've enjoyed doing. I hope you guys have enjoyed it as well, thanks for watching and all the kind comments. I hope to resist the temptaitons of the new kits bought at Telford and crack on with the DC9 build I started for the first Airliner GB. Kurt had a lovely DC9-10 on his stand, I was sorely tempted but have invested too much in the Flying Fish kit to abandon it now. See you over on this thread soon!

• Like 4

• 2 years later...