bf/me110d-3 1/48 dragon

foureyes

Ok call me mad. I only just put the fw ta 152 in the cupboard, and this was winking at me from the corner...

IMAG0419.jpg

I got if for just over twenty quid an absolute steal considering it comes with the two extra engines.

Opening the box you are greeted by a huge array of plastic...

IMAG0420.jpg

And some p.e. belts and wot not. The detail is lovely the panel lines are not too deep but very crisp. the kit gives options to leave the nose open displaying the armaments and also to display both engines. Knowing me everything I can display will be on show. Going to go totally oob as the kit is very comprehensive. Maybe a little plumbing here and there but not as much work as I did on the 152. Am going with the box art colours.

Made a start on the cockpit and i.p.. the radio gear is dark grey with a white dry brush followed by a black ink wash and same for the I.p. which I will pick out some extra colour on later as per the instructions. I will POP a drop of canopy glue on each dial to simulate glass. Everything else is steel(citedel bolt gun with a black ink wash) or valleyos rlm 66 with a black ink wash to pick up the detail. I think this may take a while as baby is sooo sooooo close to arriving.

IMAG0424.jpg

Thanks all for looking I hope you will enjoy this one as much as me.

Cheers all

Kevin

Edited by foureyes

nice choice. ill be watching

Awesome choice. Have a few of these kits awaiting the bench, you may provide me with some mojo..please?

Better shape up then now someone is watching!! I may be in need of mojo myself. The kit is daunting when you open the box. It's as stuffed as it can be. I intend to take my sweet time over this. Though maybe not through choice!

Cheers Kev.

Congratulations to you both Kev, glad to hear the new littleun has arrived safely and will be looking forward to updates on the build - and you will have a good excuse to post at 3 in the morning :)

All the best, Stu

Edit - meant to say, its looking good so far!

Edited by stoohoo

Congratulations to you both Kev, glad to hear the new littleun has arrived safely and will be looking forward to updates on the build - and you will have a good excuse to post at 3 in the morning :)

All the best, Stu

Edit - meant to say, its looking good so far!

Congratulations on your new arrival - the baby that is!

Thanks guys.. my normal post time of midnight will now be moved to 3am as stu predicted.

Mum and baby still in hospital. Number 3 having his afternoon nap. So i did this!

Added "glass" to the dials

IMAG0439_zpsdb59afee.jpg

And put together what i have so far.

IMAG0444_zpsf6374eec.jpg

Also did some work on the cockpit walls.

Have also found loads of pieces that are on the sprues but are not on the instructions!! They are to be included because I can see where they should be. I.e. ends for the ammunition boxes and other what nots. They are shown in place later in the sheet but not on the step they should be in. Not too much of a hassle if you spot something doesn't look quite right but a massive pain if you don't and have to pull things apart. I will use enormous powers of telepathy and hopefully figure out what goes where and when.

Cheers for looking

Kevin

Edited by foureyes

Got a little bit of time tonight. So had a play with the side walls. Rlm 66 with some black ink wash picked out the wires in yellow and blue. Some drybrushing and a little rust dirt and scrapes etc.

IMAG0453_zps427a5880.jpg

IMAG0454_zps98b479d9.jpg

Sort of building from the front to the rear.

Hope you like.

Cheers all

Kevin

Not sure if that's for conducting modelling or surgery!!

Lovely looking build Kevin, you've really given life to the colour grey! :clap2:

Best to the family, but can't wait to see more :)

Tim

It does feel like painting a breeze block at the moment. Still loads more grey to go. All be it a different shade of grey.

Cheers Kev

Great work on the pit Kev, your detail painting skills are par excellence - little un must be sleeping well if you can keep your hands that steady :)

Got the same aztek brush as you - again off evil bay - took a bit of getting used to butget on really well with it, they are nice and easy to strip clean, the nozzles come apart completely into 3 pieces.

Just dont do what i did and soak the body in thinners, thought it would give it a good clean but ended up knackering the needle adjuster at the top of the main body so cant close it up and have to use the cheapy aerograph copy that came with the compressor set i got to do any fine painting like mottling - they are supposed to have a lifetime guarantee but means mailing it to the states which i havent bothered to do yet - its a shame you cant just buy spares for them here.

Anyway keep up the good work!

Cheers, Stu

Great work on the pit Kev, your detail painting skills are par excellence - little un must be sleeping well if you can keep your hands that steady :)

Got the same aztek brush as you - again off evil bay - took a bit of getting used to butget on really well with it, they are nice and easy to strip clean, the nozzles come apart completely into 3 pieces.

Just dont do what i did and soak the body in thinners, thought it would give it a good clean but ended up knackering the needle adjuster at the top of the main body so cant close it up and have to use the cheapy aerograph copy that came with the compressor set i got to do any fine painting like mottling - they are supposed to have a lifetime guarantee but means mailing it to the states which i havent bothered to do yet - its a shame you cant just buy spares for them here.

Anyway keep up the good work!

Cheers, Stu

Cheers stu.

I've probably said it before but I enjoy painting more than anything. Building is ok but i would rather spend my time with my brush. I guess that's why I have never used painted p.e. for I.p.s or anything. I know they look better but i just really enjoy the satisfaction of painting them. I haven't used my airbrush at all on this build as i was waiting for the aztek to turn up. Thanks for the heads up on the cleaning. I was close to soaking it in thinners last night but didn't. On this one the body and adjusting roller are all metal which i thought the thinners wouldn't touch but i guess the interior isn't. I bought this one because a spray cleaner destroyed all the rubber seals in my old airbrush, it looked fine but the air valve jammed on and paint leaked out the seals around the nozzle. I can't wait to get some paint through this new one. I have watched a few brett green videos and he uses the resin version of this. Seams a lot less hassle than my other exterior mix ones. Will yet you know how I get on.

BTW little one all fine and home yesterday so i will start to feel the effects of sleep deprivation soon.

Cheers Kev.

Edited by foureyes

Hi Kev,

Have seen the videos of Brett using it and he does get great results with it, wish i could get pre-shading to work the way he does :)

Yeah i have the all metal one as well, though the chrome finish is wearing away a bit, metal bits are fine with thinners but the adjusting roller has a threaded plastic link inside it that attaches to the nozzle actuator to adjust the bite point - thats the bit i knackered, its thread is welded inside the metal adjusters thread, have thought of sticking it in a vice and forcing it but the risk of buggering it up completely outweighs the problem for now :)

The nozzles and paintcups are the only bits that need cleaning really and they have no issues with thinner, its good that you can buy new nozzles as well :)

Looking forward to loosing the effects of sleep deprivation at some point, my little girl (now 5) slept through from 5 weeks - thought as parents we had it cracked - but my lad will be 2 at the end of october and still waiting for him to sleep through reliably - 1am last night and then up bright and breezy at 6:30 - he makes up for it with cuteness though - little bugger :)

Stu

This was my first attempt at pre shading and have never bettered it. IMAG0049.jpg

That was in May I think. Two models ago? I used tamiya paint and it was lovely to use. Also the preshading on my spit I liked, but not as pronounced. On the 152 I did a bit of everything. Except throw dirt at it!

Kev

Yeah i remember seeing your trop 109, you did a great job on it especially the large green mottles, one of my favourite camo schemes :)

Got to agree with you on the Tamiya paints they are lovely to use and def going to be investing in some more!

Bit premature but looking forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering on this beasty :)

Edited by stoohoo

Yeah i remember seeing your trop 109, you did a great job on it especially the large green mottles, one of my favourite camo schemes :)

Got to agree with you on the Tamiya paints they are lovely to use and def going to be investing in some more!

Bit premature but looking forward to seeing how you tackle the weathering on this beasty :)

Stu.

Will have to look at some decent period pics of these craft which i haven't done yet. I should imagine they got shot down before they got grime and wot not on them. But you know i like em dirty so may see.

Cheers Kev

If anyone's got any links to period pics I would be most grateful!

Edited by foureyes

Looking good Kev,

Your progress is coming along swimmingly, looks just perfect to me.

We too had a new addition to the family, our second daughter, but two and half weeks ago, so I know how you need to manage the modelling shelf with the Dad duties too.

And as for the AXTEC airbrush, I use a similar one too, and bar a few small issues then and now it performs beautifully, using only the fine nozzle for all work. I really have had no need to expand in the use of other nozzles, as most effects can be achieved through the fine one, including mottling.

Keep the updates coming, I really look forward to seeing how the fit is, as I have previously said, I have three of this kit in the stash (this one, the Dackelbach and Nightfighter) and would love to know what I am possibly in for if I decide to start one.